Whale watching in juneau

shofer

Has anyone done this excursion with Orca Enterprises? How do they compare with Harv/Marv? It appears that the latter has quite a bit of walking to get to their boat.

My travel partner & I can walk but they talk about a BIG step to get on the boat and we are both vertically challenged, about 5' 0-5' 2".

Any input is welcome.

Thanks,

Sue

There is so much written about these two companies that you can easily do a search and find the comparison info.

In any case, the walk to the boat and the step mentioned by Harv & Marv are both less than they imply. But better to be pleasantly surprised. I like the fact that Harv & Marvs has 30 minutes more on the water and that their boats hold only 6 people - very personalized attention. Though they cost a little more than Orca, they are a longer tour (by 1/2 hour) and they offer a free drop off at Mendenhall, which Orca charges for. So in the end, it is at least as good of a value. Having said that, I don't think you would be disappointed with either one.

I've done both of those tours. I don't remember a long walk or step with Harv and Marv's so it couldn't have been much. The biggest difference is the size of the boat. While with Orca, I watched those small boats being so much closer to the whales and swore I'd go with Harv and Marv the next time. I didn't regret it and will likely go with them again next summer.

Have either of you ever done the whale watching with Juneau Whale Watch? Just wondering what they are like

Gene

They are new in the past couple of years. They are probably the closest competitors to Orca with regard to boat size. They do say the "3 hour adventure begins when you board the coach." So that means you are on the water probably only 2 hours. That is probably why they are less expensive than the rest. For me, the longer time on the water the better. My last visit to Juneau I was on the boat for a full 6 hours. I would not consider Juneau Whale Watch with 2 hours on the water when it is 3+ hours with Harv & Marvs (their total time is 4 hours).

We toured with Harv and Marv and our friends used Orca. We both ended up seeing much of the same whale watching and were at Mendenhall together. We opted to stay at Mendenhall longer. The independent shuttle was easy service back to the cruise port.

Sorry to hijack, but with Harv and Marv's, if you ask them to drop you off at Mendenhall, how do you get back to the dock?

When we were in AK in 2003, you could pick up the shuttle bus every 1/2 hour on the dock for $5/pp and they left the glacier area parking lot on the half hour. This still applies except the cost is now $8/pp.

We would probably just take the shuttle back to the dock if we want to spend more time at the glacier. As I remember, it was only about a 15 minute ride from the dock to the park. The shuttle stops at 4:30 but we have to be back on the ship @ 3:30 so I don't think there will be a problem with missing it.

Sue

We took the one offered by princess cruises.

It was operated by Allen Marine.

Has quite a relaxed time on board and seeing whales, seals and bald eagles :)

U may want to check out our review here

http://discoverbooktravel.blogspot.sg/2012/12/day-4-diamond-princess-alaska-cruise-whale-watching-juneau.html

Archived