Queen Victoria

owenmahamilton

Sorry to be a wet blanket but this page has been on the Fincantieri site for some years and refers to the first QV now sailing as P&O's Arcadia.

The link won't work directly, you have to open the http://www.fincantieri.it site then look under 'Naval Products' for 'Cruise Ships'. It's a pity they haven't kept the information up to date on this site.

Just found this page on the Fincantieri website with info and artists impressions of Queen Victoria

http://www.fincantieri.it/article.asp?m=39|6|116&id=411

Perhaps the more eagle eyed can spot whether this has been changed, but it looks like the original concept - too few suites for Queens/Princess Grill, and still showing 83,000 tonnes, vs Cunard's latest brochure claim of 90,000. This also shows the max/service speeds on this ship as the same as on the Vista class at 24/22 knots, while on the QM2 the cruise director said she would be 'quite fast for a cruise ship' - tho this is faster than Sun Class (22.4) and Conquest (22.7), its not faster than Grand Class (24 max) nor much faster than Destiny (23 max), or Costa Fortuna (>23.5).....perhaps we need to 'watch this space....'

Peter

Found this Cunard website with information on the QV - one thing to note is the one paragraph that says "She will have a British Captain and Officer."http://www.cunard-uk.com/shipdetails.php?shipId=855

Sorry to add to Ken's drizzle.....but this is not the Cunard site, but a TA site (whch we can't mention...) and the information appears rather out of date...silhouette of Caronia...Pamela Conover Cunard President & COO....so I guess it may be out of date in other respects.....Reading it tho, it only mentions a 'Queens Grill', so possibly no 'Princess'....

.....As to 'British Captain'....there are plenty of them in Princess;)

Peter

Actually, I have to question if this ship will ever get built. I think Carnival/Princess/Cunard are evaluating the long term strategy of Cunard, and the current QV may or may not fit those plans. As it stands now, the first piece of steel hasn't even been cut for the ship, and no one seems to have any valid information on actual start/finish dates for the ship's construction.

Ernie

I think one of the issues with the Queen Victoria (as she is currently described) is that she would a unique vessel. Carnival and all the major cruise lines have been saving millions by replicating ship designs over and over. Queen Vic, by all accounts, would be unusal and perhaps one-of-a-kind like the QM2.

Here's something for speculation, perhaps the go-head for the QV is actually based on what's happening down under. If P&O Autrailia does well there might be a need for some additional ships with good sea handling capabilities in their fleet. A couple of fast QV spec ships might actually be suited the Pacific.

I think one of the issues with the Queen Victoria (as she is currently described) is that she would a unique vessel. Carnival and all the major cruise lines have been saving millions by replicating ship designs over and over. Queen Vic, by all accounts, would be unusal and perhaps one-of-a-kind like the QM2.

I think you hit on some very good points. Like you, I'm not certain Carnival wants to build another "one-off" ship for Cunard. They are more expensive to operate (crew training, etc.) and Carnival can't take advantage of reduced pricing for multiple orders.

Carnival shipbuilding is currently designing new models for Carnival, Princess, and Holland America. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cunard get the same design that Holland America will end up with, with modifications of course. Just speculation on my part, but it would make sense. It also appears that Carnival/Princess/Cunard is in no rush to beef up the Cunard fleet.

Another reason why QV may be on hold is because PACIFIC PRINCESS and TAHITIAN PRINCESS may find there way to Cunard. These two ships would fit rather well into Cunard, and if in fact this does happen, there would be no immediate need to build QV. Again, just pondering some possibilities.

Ernie

Carnival shipbuilding is currently designing new models for Carnival, Princess, and Holland America.

I wonder what they might be designing for Princess?

I have to hope that the latest round of orders from Fincantieri are the last CONQUEST-class and GRAND-class orders.

I wonder what they might be designing for Princess?

Apparently a lengthened and enlarged version of the current Grand Class. The "next generation" so to speak. Sort of like what RCI did with the Voyager Class and FREEDOM OF THE SEAS.

Again, nothing confirmed ... but that is what I am hearing from my sources.

Ernie

Apparently a lengthened and enlarged version of the current Grand Class.

Oh well - I was hoping for something new!

Carnival seems to have a bit of an aversion to new designs at the moment - "if it ain't broke don't fix it", I guess.

Of course what I really want to see is Pinnacle - that should be interesting. It has been six years since VOYAGER and still no real response from Carnival, so when it does come, it had better be good ;) !

Of course in the interim we've had QM2!

Archived