Visa for Jordania necessary ?

Raga59

Hi, we (2 adults from Germany) will be in Aquaba (Jordania) coming from Sharm el Sheik on 17 december 2012 from 8 am till 6:30 pm. As we have booked a taxi driver who drives us to Petra and back, we now wonder whether we need a Visa for Jordania. The informations about this differ very much. I don't know whether the regulations for US citizens are the same as for Europeans but I hope that anyone has been there in the past and can give us advice concerning this question !? :)

People are shy about advising because it depends on nationality & very few Germans contribute to Cruise Critic.

Does your ship port in Aqaba & are you taking a taxi from Aqaba to Petra? That's pretty easy.

Or are you taking the taxi from Sharm? If so, it's a very long way & if you go all the way by taxi you go through part of Israel. I would advise against that trip, though you can take a tour from Sharm to Petra which includes a ferry or aircraft so you don't have to go through Israel

We are British - when we visited Aqaba on a cruise ship, the ship organised our Jordan visas at a cost of 5JB (about €5), we did not have to do anything. The visa is needed only to get on/off the ship, it is Jordan all the way from the ship at Aqaba to Petra.

But Aqaba has recently been designated an "economic zone" & this may be why you are getting conflicting advice. They are trying to get more visitors to Aqaba, so most nationalities don't need a visa to cross the land border from Eilat (Israel) to Aqaba. But I don't know if it's the same with visitors by cruise ship.

I THINK you do not need to buy a visa before you go.

You may have to buy one when you arrive, or the ship may buy it for you, or you may not need one at all. If you do, it will cost very little.

If your ship is German or Italian, the cruise line should be able to tell you - they have lots of German passengers.

Or ask on Trip Advisor and on German forums.

Good luck

JB :)

From all I can see being from Germany would be no different than being from the USA. Please see the following web site and on that site I keyed in Germany and it confirmed that.

http://www.visitjordan.com/visitjordan_cms/GeneralInformation/EntryintoJordan/tabid/61/Default.aspx

From all I can see the ship will obtain them for you as they do from those from the USA.

I can't be 100% sure so I would have your Travel Agent get with the cruise line to get you an answer on this one. I would recommend that anyone confirm this so there are no surprises.

Again, if you have a TA have them run this down for you. If not you will need to followup with the cruise line again.

Keith

Hi, thank you for all the informations. First of all I have to tell you, that we fly from Frankfurt to Egypt (Sharm el Sheik) then board a cruise ship (AIDAmar) and go by cruiseship from Sharm el Sheik to Aqaba and further on through the Red Sea. The ship is in harbour from 8 am till 6:30 pm and then it continues to Eilat.

I alread asked my travel agency. They told me, that I have to pay 20 JD for the Visa and I would get it directly in the port. On the AIDA website they don't mention anything concerning a VISA necessity for Jordania. Other people in german Forums also told me, that I do not have to pay anything. In the meanwhile I also asked the taxi driver whom I have booked. He also told me, that I don't have to get a Visa. But in some other boards they write that you need a VISA.

In the link that Keith1010 posted it seems to be very clear for the arrival in Aqaba. You don't need a VISA.

I think I will report here, when we'll be back.

So John Bull wrote that there are not many Germans posting here. The reason why we are here is easy: You get the best and almost every information concerning cruising here. We love being in USA and we love american cruise lines especially RCI and Celebrity. Now we try a german cruise line (AIDA) because we had some spare holidays left and the offer was so good that we could not say no. :)

Hi, we (2 adults from Germany) will be in Aquaba (Jordania) coming from Sharm el Sheik on 17 december 2012 from 8 am till 6:30 pm. As we have booked a taxi driver who drives us to Petra and back, we now wonder whether we need a Visa for Jordania. The informations about this differ very much. I don't know whether the regulations for US citizens are the same as for Europeans but I hope that anyone has been there in the past and can give us advice concerning this question !? :)

I can confirm, that as Belgian citizens= Europeans as you, last month in Aqaba we did not need a visa at all.

. Actually we did not even need our passports, they kept them on the ship. By keeping them the Jordanian authorities know that you need to return to the ship and do not stay illegally in Jordan !!I see that you booked a taxi (maybe the one I recommended to you: Abdullah) and he will confirm that

Enjoy your trip

• 4 weeks later...
I can confirm, that as Belgian citizens= Europeans as you, last month in Aqaba we did not need a visa at all.

. Actually we did not even need our passports, they kept them on the ship. By keeping them the Jordanian authorities know that you need to return to the ship and do not stay illegally in Jordan !!I see that you booked a taxi (maybe the one I recommended to you: Abdullah) and he will confirm that

Enjoy your trip

We didn't need a VISA, even we didn't need a passport as rubens mentioned above. Yes, we have booked the taxi you recommended us. We also can highly recommend Adulla. We were very content and everything worked excellent. Here his E-Mail for anyone who may be interested: abdulla.qabaa@gmail,com :)

• 2 months later...
We didn't need a VISA, even we didn't need a passport as rubens mentioned above. Yes, we have booked the taxi you recommended us. We also can highly recommend Adulla. We were very content and everything worked excellent. Here his E-Mail for anyone who may be interested: abdulla.qabaa@gmail,com :)

We are going on a Red Sea cruise in a couple of weeks and would like a private tour to Petra.

Do you know if Abdulla apeaks English? And how much does he charge? And was it easy to hire a guide when you arrived at petra?

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the info!

Just found this and was about to ask for his email when read your comment with it...perfect timing :D How long did it take you to go/come back? Did you feel rushed/worried to get back to the ship in order not to miss it?

We have Portuguese citizenship and were told by their consulate that we do not need a visa prior to the cruise; my father only has Brazilian citizenship and will get his visa ahead of time, though, in case there are Brazilian wandering out there :p

We just came back from our Red Sea cruise on the MSC Armonia. No one seemed to need visas. In fact, the Jordanian officials actually came aboard ship during the day and stamped our passports while we were gone.

We did a private tour. An English speaking driver picked us up at the port and took us to Petra where he bought the tickets and arranged for a guide. Although the price seemed high, it was about $60 per person less than the ship's tours for 4 of us and included the entry tickets which cost $50 Jordanian Dinar per person (about $75 US) and the guide at Petra which cost 50 Jordanian Dinar for the 4 of us.

Archived