Transfer from Southampton to St Pancras?

How might I go about getting from Southampton to St Pancras? I'm in the midst of a few options - disembark in Le Harve and stay in Paris the week after, adding another hotel night, or just disembarking in Southampton as scheduled, and taking EuroStar immediately back to Paris (cheaper). But I'm lost as to how to get to St Pancras...?

Thanks!

Natalie

If you're heading to Paris, one option to look at is to fly from Southampton to Paris. If the flight times work for you, this is likely to be the least hassle option from Southampton.

Southampton to St Pancras by public transport is probably best done by taxi to Southampton Central, train to Waterloo, taxi to St Pancras. There are other permutations, but my instinct is that all of them would be less good.

If you're heading to Paris, one option to look at is to fly from Southampton to Paris. If the flight times work for you, this is likely to be the least hassle option from Southampton.

Southampton to St Pancras by public transport is probably best done by taxi to Southampton Central, train to Waterloo, taxi to St Pancras. There are other permutations, but my instinct is that all of them would be less good.

Oh yikes - just checked on flights and it would be around $1000. YIKES! Would it make sense to do the Princess transfer to the airport, then figure out how to get from the airport to the train station?

Oh yikes - just checked on flights and it would be around $1000.
I very much doubt it. I don't know the date on which you need to fly, but assuming it's next summer a quick and dirty search suggests that you should be able to get a one-way ticket for about USD 100 per person (although you may well need to add on baggage fees).

Oh yikes - just checked on flights and it would be around $1000. YIKES! Would it make sense to do the Princess transfer to the airport, then figure out how to get from the airport to the train station?

If you're talking about transferring with Princess to LHR, then no, not in the least. The taxi-train-taxi option Globaliser describes would be the best way of getting to St. Pancras.

I'm assuming this is for your July 11 cruise - arriving back at Southampton on the 23rd. If so, you can fly from Southampton to Paris Orly on flybe for 69 pounds, or about $112. I'm not quite sure where you saw the $1000 price - maybe mixed up an airport code somewhere?

If you're talking about transferring with Princess to LHR, then no, not in the least. The taxi-train-taxi option Globaliser describes would be the best way of getting to St. Pancras.

I'm assuming this is for your July 11 cruise - arriving back at Southampton on the 23rd. If so, you can fly from Southampton to Paris Orly on flybe for 69 pounds, or about $112. I'm not quite sure where you saw the $1000 price - maybe mixed up an airport code somewhere?

I must have! I was just looking on Delta - SOU to CDG? I'll keep looking - was thinking this would be super easy but maybe not!! I was afraid if we plan to disembark in Le Harve that if we missed the port for some reason, I'd be up a creek...

I'm clearly doing something wrong. When I search SOU to CDG one-way on July 23, I'm over $1000pp. That's expedia. Am I missing something?!

You're problem is you're looking at SOU-CDG flights on Delta - which, if you look at the detail, have you going via AMS. As far as I can tell, there are no non-stop SOU-CDG flights, but there are non-stop SOU-ORY flights (Paris Orly, used mostly for inter-Europe and charter flights).

Whenever I shop for flights, I always check here first: http://matrix.itasoftware.com, then go directly to the airline site to book.

I'm clearly doing something wrong. When I search SOU to CDG one-way on July 23, I'm over $1000pp.
Just to add to what Twickenham says, on a quick and dirty search using ITA for 23 July 2013:-
  • 0710 SOU-ORY 0935: BE3041 £62.44 per person
  • 1425 SOU-ORY 1650: BE3045 £62.44 per person
  • 1800 SOU-ORY 2025: BE3047 £54.44 per person

The first is obviously too early, but the middle flight might do you quite nicely. In theory, you could probably get to Paris a little bit earlier if you were to head to central London as fast as you could after trying to be first to get off the ship in the morning.

But it would cost you rather a lot more; and you'd be rather less relaxed than if you got off the ship last, ambled on over to the airport, and got yourself a gentle lunch before your flight.

Southampton / Paris Orly Ouest flights operated by no-frills http://www.flybe.com/

To get the full cost with the add-ons, do a dummy booking including baggage. Like all no-frills airlines, base prices are flexible, usually going up steeply for bookings close to the date of travel. Add about £20 taxi between ship and Southampton airport. Sorry, don't know transfer costs/options in Paris.

Ship to St Pancras:

Globaliser's suggestion is probably best compromise of cost, time, simplicity. And no pre-booking neccessary, buy your tickets at the station.

Taxi to Southampton central station about £5 to £7.

Trains every 30 minutes or less, to London Waterloo £38 pp, about 90 minutes (no cheap tickets into London in the morning, post again for Megatrain bucket prices if your journey is pm).

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

Taxi to St Pancras 2.5 miles, (£10-£12?)

Alternatively:

Taxi to Southampton coach station about £5 to £7. Nat Express coach to London Victoria coach station £7 pp, sometimes cheap deals, journey time about 2.5 hours. Very limited frequency, very strongly advised to pre-book, be aware of luggage limitations - not strictly observed, but not to be grossly exceeded.

www.nationalexpress.com/

Book from Southampton coach station - do not choose the cruise ship terminal option on the website, it is not available for your ship.

Taxi to St Pancras about 4.5 miles (£18 to £20?)

From either Waterloo train station or Victoria coach station to St Pancras is possible by tube, mebbe 1/3rd the cost of a cab, but the tube isn't luggage-friendly.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/1106.aspx

Alternatively

Ship to St Pancras private transfer, pre-booked, about £140 with www.westquaycars.com or www.smithsforairports.com

Travel time about 2 hrs, very much dependent on traffic

Alternatively

Princess may run a cruise transfer coach to either Victoria coach station or even St Pancras.

The Princess coach to Heathrow or Gatwick isn't a suitable option.

Like the no-frills airlines, Eurostar prices rise steeply approaching date of travel.

JB :)

• 3 weeks later...

John Bull,

Thanks very much for the information re:getting from Southampton to St. Pancras to Paris. We're in the same situation as Tulip.

The Eurostar website says the trip is $66 for seniors. Does that include USA seniors? (Did you chuckle at that quesiton?) If so, is it all available all the time? I prefer the train to the plane.

Donna

John Bull,

Thanks very much for the information re:getting from Southampton to St. Pancras to Paris. We're in the same situation as Tulip.

The Eurostar website says the trip is $66 for seniors. Does that include USA seniors? (Did you chuckle at that quesiton?) If so, is it all available all the time? I prefer the train to the plane.

Donna

Yes, Eurostar senior fares are available to any passengers over 60. The special rate may or may not be available, depending on how many tickets have already been booked on the train (Eurostar tickets are train-specific). You can do a 'dummy booking' to check prices, making sure you specify the number of seniors - it will show you the prices for the various trains on your day(s) of travel.

I think it is £66, not $66?

Yes, Eurostar senior fares are available to any passengers over 60. The special rate may or may not be available, depending on how many tickets have already been booked on the train (Eurostar tickets are train-specific). You can do a 'dummy booking' to check prices, making sure you specify the number of seniors - it will show you the prices for the various trains on your day(s) of travel.

I think it is £66, not $66?

Oops, you are correct, obviously I was thinking in terms of dollars.

Thank you for that information, that's good news.

OK, I've run all the numbers for plane vs. train from ship to Paris but we haven't decided which to do.

Now could you please help me with the trip in reverse - if we take the train back to St Pancras, how do we get to LHR. Or, if fly Paris to London (or environs) would you still recommend flybe back to Southampton?

Thank you, thank you

Donna

PS Just in case you're wondering why we didn't book a flight from Paris back to Miami, it's because we booked the flights through Princess and didn't think they would book us on different itineraries. Trip deviation.

OK, I've run all the numbers for plane vs. train from ship to Paris but we haven't decided which to do.

Now could you please help me with the trip in reverse - if we take the train back to St Pancras, how do we get to LHR. Or, if fly Paris to London (or environs) would you still recommend flybe back to Southampton?

Thank you, thank you

Donna

PS Just in case you're wondering why we didn't book a flight from Paris back to Miami, it's because we booked the flights through Princess and didn't think they would book us on different itineraries. Trip deviation.

From St Pancras, either take the underground (cheapo way) or taxi (actually not that much more for 2) to Paddington, then Heathrow Express/Connect to LHR. Easy-peasy.

Of course, as much as I love train travel in Europe, if it were me I would probably be cancelling the cruise air and booking an open-jaw.

From St Pancras, either take the underground (cheapo way) or taxi (actually not that much more for 2) to Paddington, then Heathrow Express/Connect to LHR. Easy-peasy.

Of course, as much as I love train travel in Europe, if it were me I would probably be cancelling the cruise air and booking an open-jaw.

Thanks again for the information. Your comment about the cruise air is rather interesting in that I was lying in bed this morning (I do my best thinking between 6:00 am and 7:00 am!) and thought, " We need to change those flights." I agree with you!

Thank you, thank you

Donna

Twickers has the St Pancras -LHR covered (I'd think about taking a cab to Paddington, that little tube journey always seems to take longer and be more hassle than it should, especially with luggage).

But if you were coming back to London just to get to LHR (and I see you are reconsidering that arrangement :)), then that is one of the few times I would suggest flying from Paris to London - many flights direct to LHR, mostly from CDG, shouldn't be very expensive. There's really no point coming through central London. And Southampton, which is about 80 miles from London, shouldn't feature in your thoughts at all for the return leg :)

But if you were coming back to London just to get to LHR (and I see you are reconsidering that arrangement :)), then that is one of the few times I would suggest flying from Paris to London - many flights direct to LHR, mostly from CDG, shouldn't be very expensive. There's really no point coming through central London. And Southampton, which is about 80 miles from London, shouldn't feature in your thoughts at all for the return leg :)

You make a good point about going through London. I have compared flights with flybe vs the train. Have even looked at flights from CDG back to Miami. Weighing all the options.

Twickers, I love your city - so pretty. My husband emigrated from France to Canada in 1966, lived in Three Rivers and thus began his career there.

OK, we've just about figured it out. We'll take flybe from Southampton to Paris - thank you for the tip on flybe, the rate is great.

We don't want to take flybe back to South Hampton, so the train is the option at the senior's rate.

The Eurostar will not allow me to make a reservation as far out as June. Might you have an idea when I will be able to make that reservation?

Also, I would like to find what it will cost to take the train from St Pancas to LHR but I can't what trainthat is. Eurostar, Eurorail, Eurail - it's all very confusing.

Thank you

Donna

Also, I would like to find what it will cost to take the train from St Pancas to LHR but I can't what trainthat is. Eurostar, Eurorail, Eurail - it's all very confusing.

Thank you

Donna

Either the Heathrow Express or Heathrow Connect to LHR from Paddington. Take a taxi from St. Pancras. Or, if you feel adventuresome, the simpler way would be to just take the underground from St. Pancras all the way to LHR, no transfers.

Wow, that flybe flight cost a lot more than we expected. The initial price on the website looked good but by the time you add the cost of the luggage, the cost of our seats, and the taxes, the flight was twice the initial price shown. But worth the convenience of flying out of Southampton vs. the myriad of trains and taxis to get to St Pancras.

Thanks again for your help.

OK, we've just about figured it out. We'll take flybe from Southampton to Paris - thank you for the tip on flybe, the rate is great.

We don't want to take flybe back to South Hampton, so the train is the option at the senior's rate.

The Eurostar will not allow me to make a reservation as far out as June. Might you have an idea when I will be able to make that reservation?

Thank you

Donna

Eurostar tickets become available on their website 4 months in advance and to get the best rates jump on there that day :)

Tube to Paddington is £4.50 and Heathrow Express £20 (Heathrow Connect half that, but takes twice as long with stops) - both the Heathrow services have their own websites. Tube all the way from St Pancras to LHR is a bargain £5.50, but takes much longer and (in my opinion) is less pleasant.

Your point about the flybe fare doubling once everything added in is a very common complaint, and the authorities take action from time to time to ensure airlines (especially so called low cost ones) have to advertise a realistic headline rate, but they are very adept at getting round the regulations as you have found :(

Eurostar tickets become available on their website 4 months in advance and to get the best rates jump on there that day :)

Tube to Paddington is £4.50 and Heathrow Express £20 (Heathrow Connect half that, but takes twice as long with stops) - both the Heathrow services have their own websites. Tube all the way from St Pancras to LHR is a bargain £5.50, but takes much longer and (in my opinion) is less pleasant.

Your point about the flybe fare doubling once everything added in is a very common complaint, and the authorities take action from time to time to ensure airlines (especially so called low cost ones) have to advertise a realistic headline rate, but they are very adept at getting round the regulations as you have found :(

Thank you ever so much for all this information. Very pertinent to our trip. We have a niece in Paris and will contact her to see what she can do about getting us the best rate on the Eurostar from her end.

• 3 weeks later...

Concerning the add ons on flybe, I just found this person's experience with a flight on an airline in the US.

As I booked the flight, I was surprised to see some fees I hadn't expected. In addition to the $20 each-way baggage fee, I'd have to pay an extra $13 each way for my carry-on bag. But that wasn't all. There was the fee to have an assigned seat that varied depending upon which seat I wanted, as well as a $10 fee for priority boarding so I wouldn't be stuck in a middle seat. If I needed to change my flight, that would cost an extra $23.

Concerning the add ons on flybe, I just found this person's experience with a flight on an airline in the US.

As I booked the flight, I was surprised to see some fees I hadn't expected. In addition to the $20 each-way baggage fee, I'd have to pay an extra $13 each way for my carry-on bag. But that wasn't all. There was the fee to have an assigned seat that varied depending upon which seat I wanted, as well as a $10 fee for priority boarding so I wouldn't be stuck in a middle seat. If I needed to change my flight, that would cost an extra $23.

There are no middle seats on FlyBE. They only operate aircraft with 2+2 seating (EMB175/195s, and DHC8-400s)

Archived