alaska ports of call excursions

egan

hi all .travelling on celebrity solstice in may##Alaska Tracy Arm Fjord cruise out of Seattle.As this is a long plane flight from europe i do not expect to be back. Therefore i would like help re the best trips to take fromt Ketchken,Juneau and Skagway I would like to get a good feel for this area on my tripI think there should be good day light hours.Will there be much wildlife around? many thanks for help.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Without knowing anything about your interests, your budget and your limitations, it is nearly impossible to tell you what is "best", as that is strictly a personal opinion. What might be "best" to you, may have no interest to me at all.

Better for you to do some research. There are two things to look at. First, down this board, there are threads on every port, with tons of info on what to see. Find some things that are interesting to you, then ask some specific questions.

Secondly, see what the cruise line is offering. This identifies some of the key things of sightseeing interest in each area. You can take that info, and do some research here, if a given item interests you. Again, some specific questions at that point would be easier for us to help you.

There are hundreds of excellent tours out of these ports. Take a look at a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests. Repost for more information.

A point you may not be aware of, especially with your "one time" trip reference. Tracy Arm is very "iffy" in May- with if there do transit, there is a very high chance you will not get within view of the glaciers. IF an option- I would suggest a different glacier itinerary, with Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay. Alternatively- "necessary" in my opinion are the add on Tracy Arm ship tours. Grossly superior to the cruiseship transit with usual viewing of some wildlife.

Wildlife has more sucess with tours, but also get yourself out on deck frequently. A good pair of wide angle binoculars are necessary.

As already pointed out - Tracy Arm may not be passible in May - most cruise ships will visit an alternate Fjord called Endicott Arm and view Dawes Glacier instead. Even the small boat tours will follow the ship here.

Now for some more information on what to see and do, as well as more information about the ports check out http://cruiseportinsider.com/index.html

I understand about the long flight situation - Years ago British Airways had several non stop polar flights between Frankfort and Seattle and London and Seattle. I have also seen where some of today's polar flights from the midwest stop at Fairbanks for refueling. It is possible to fly to Fairbanks - do a multi day land tour and then a one way cruise from Seward/Whittier to Vancouver BC. from there you can either fly home or transit to Seattle and leave from there - just food for thought.

Good Luck

We ill be on the Carnival Miracle Aug 27-Sep3 2013...Looking at the "Green Jeep" rentals for the day to explore Skagway and the Yukon...Any thoughts from those who have done this previously would be appreciated!:rolleyes:

In my opinion, this is an upcharge rental. Yep people get excited about the potential of the "off roading" stuff, BUT how much, if any are they doing?

i agree with you BQ A: there are not that many places to go "off road" and B: if you do go off the road you are probably going to be on first nation land or private property.

The highway is nicely paved and all you need is a simple car with normal two wheel drive.

Thanks for your thoughts...It is actually cheaper than the train trip up to the same area...I had "heard" that the advantage of the jeep was that when wildlife is spotted you can stop and look for a bit, whereas the train just continues on it's course...

Thanks for your thoughts...It is actually cheaper than the train trip up to the same area...I had "heard" that the advantage of the jeep was that when wildlife is spotted you can stop and look for a bit, whereas the train just continues on it's course...

The reason to take the train, is for the history, superior scenery, engineering. It is not for everyone, and well worth the expense if of interest. There are various excellent combo tours to also consider.

Car rentals are what I was referring to. You made no mention of the White Pass RR in your post. I always rent with Avis, which is the only major rental available.

"Necessary" is for you to purchase, Murray's Guide, in my opinion.

Thanks!...This is why we check in with those in the know...Hadn't even thought of a rental car:o...am assuming the roads would be passable late August...

They are "passable" all cruise season. :) It's not what you may think. The Klondike Highway, is a plain old, standard 2 lane paved road. Just like most any other area.

Archived