how do you find each other onboard?

Just to follow up on this.. I check my iphone and there does not seem to be a way to turn off data but leave texting on. So if you have an iphone and leave the cellular on you will also get emails over cellular which will cost you a lot of $$$. Be careful.

You can set your e-mail account to not check for e-mails. Set it to manual so it only checks when you tell it to.

Just to follow up on this.. I check my iphone and there does not seem to be a way to turn off data but leave texting on. So if you have an iphone and leave the cellular on you will also get emails over cellular which will cost you a lot of $$$. Be careful.

If you turn off cellular data, you will still be able to send and receive SMS (no photo/video/imessage) texts.

If you turn off cellular data, you will still be able to send and receive SMS (no photo/video/imessage) texts.

Interesting. Just tried this. I turned off cellular data and wifi. I was able to send a text out but could not receive any texts. I have Verizon. Maybe it's different with other carriers

Interesting. Just tried this. I turned off cellular data and wifi. I was able to send a text out but could not receive any texts. I have Verizon. Maybe it's different with other carriers

Texting should work on Verizon with cellular data and wifi turned off (it does on my iPhone all the time, sending and receiving). Just reconfirmed with Verizon that texting rates are 50 cents for outgoing text and 5 cents for incoming text, as mommamd posted earlier. (And 50 cents to send picture message; 25 cents to receive picture.) This is the case on the ship and allegedly in ports (at least the Caribbean ones).

If you're concerned about all the unnecessary incoming texts that your teenager might receive, like I am, one thing you can do is have them turn off text notifications on things like Facebook, etc. And you can try having them tell their friends to stop texting for the week. (Wish me luck on that!)

Most important thing: turn off cellular data!

From AT&T

I appreciate the opportunity to assist you today with international

roaming while in the Caribbean.

Text messages sent while roaming internationally bill at $.50 per

message sent and receiving text messages is free. Data usage bills $.02

per KB.

If the phone is on and you do not answer a call that then routes to the

company voicemail system, this call may charge as an incoming

international roaming call to the customer's phone.

The foreign carrier's routing of that call to the company voicemail

system may generate an outgoing call charge from the customer's location

to the U.S. These charges apply even if the caller disconnects from the

voicemail system without leaving a message.

We offer the following Global Messaging plans.

Global Messaging 50 $10 for 50 messages per month.

Global Messaging 200 $30 for 200 messages per month

Global Messaging 600 $60 for 600 messages per month

We also offer the following Global Data plans.

$30.00 120MB

Overage: $30/120MB

$60.00 300MB

$120.00 800MB

For voice calls we offer the following plans.

$30 15 minutes $2.00 per minute over

$60 40 minutes $2.00 per minute over

$120 100 $2.00 per minute over

Pay-Per-Use Calling Rate on Cruise Ships is $2.50/min.

One-month minimum required. If you remove the package before your

monthly bill cycle ends, the included monthly minute allotment will be

reduced proportionately.

To sign up for a Travel Minutes package, go to att.com/myatt, visit an

AT&T store, or call 1-866-MOBILITY.

I picked up some decent walkie talkies. Hope they work as we will not be using our cell phones. The other thing we may do is rc has iPhones they rent out to families at 17 for the week. That work only on ship. I think they are called wow phones. Maybe I will get a set of those too.

There may be differences with other carriers. My tests have been with AT&T.

One other point to note - if someone sends me an MMS text when I have cellular data turned off, I get no indication at all. When I turn cellular data back on, the MMS texts will come into the phone. There may also be a problem with group messaging, as these appear to be MMS messages.

I would say that I'd look for them with my eyes. That would be sarcastic, though.

On a serious note, I would focus on specific planned group events. Dinner every day will be at ______. Have a group breakfast _____ at ______. Then let the chips fall as they may. Trying to manage that many people 24 hours a day is a thankless and probably meaningless task.

Just focus on key things. Specific shows. Specific meals. Specific events. Then let everyone find their own fun.

A lot of people have mentioned these RCI Iphones for rent.

How do you go about ordering one? Do you have to give notice or can you get one upon boarding? Is there info of this on their website?

To my knowledge, they are only available on Oasis or Allure. Once on board, go to Guest Services to rent them. They are called "Royal Connect".

Here's a brochure:

http://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/docs/rccl-pdfs/connect-brochure.pdf

Just reading these posts make me anxious. Way too much stress in spending any amount of time trying to work with group schedules (unless that is your thing).

THe only set time is for dinner and usually we are in the same deck spot everyday so come and go as you please.

Archived