Nighttime noise

avic77

Kind of an odd question but i was wondering how badly does "nighttime" noise carry through the walls of cabins. I usually use a fan for white noise and will bring a small desk fan with me most likely but I was wondering if you can hear the activities in the rooms on either side :eek:?

Kind of an odd question but i was wondering how badly does "nighttime" noise carry through the walls of cabins. I usually use a fan for white noise and will bring a small desk fan with me most likely but I was wondering if you can hear the activities in the rooms on either side :eek:?

Ive never heard the people in the rooms next to me unless i had my balcony open and they had theirs open.

Rooms are very sound insulated. I've never heard a neighbor. However, deck 11 (assuming one of the ships where the pool deck is deck 12) rooms can get noise from above. You do need to be careful about what is above you if you are a light sleeper. Cabins above and below, never had any noise.

The Aft area of the ship tends to be quieter in general. In regard to neighbor noise, the only noise I have generally heard was the toilet flushing. Other than that, unless my various neighbors were yelling to each other, I never heard much of them. But again, cabin location is key for much of the noise factor.

Only had neighbor noise on a NCL ship once, and that was on the Epic where the neighbors on one side felt a need to yell to each other instead of talking. There were a few times I heard them in the room, but it became more evident when they were coming/going and were in the hallway, or when they were on the balcony. Very inconsiderate, and not normal.

Oneother time was when under the pool deck on the Jewel. I could hear noises from above, from early morning chair rearranging to kids running. Most of that settled down pretty quickly in the evening and wasn't a bother.

By contrast, on an older CCL ship we were on, our neighbors next door might has well have been in the room with us. We could hear conversations, their TV, etc. Didn't have that issue on Epic or Jewel

I've been on the Epic, Pearl (2), Sun, Sky and have never had noise at night. If my balcony door was open, and someone was on the balcony next door I would hear them. On the Epic I was under the Garden Buffet and had a little noise around 9:30 or 10, but the area above me was carpeted and it only lasted about 10 or 15 minutes. Nothing to worry about. I wouldn't worry about the fan unless you are used to having the white noise, then you will probably need it on the cruise.

Only had neighbor noise on a NCL ship once, and that was on the Epic where the neighbors on one side felt a need to yell to each other instead of talking. There were a few times I heard them in the room, but it became more evident when they were coming/going and were in the hallway, or when they were on the balcony. Very inconsiderate, and not normal.

Oneother time was when under the pool deck on the Jewel. I could hear noises from above, from early morning chair rearranging to kids running. Most of that settled down pretty quickly in the evening and wasn't a bother.

By contrast, on an older CCL ship we were on, our neighbors next door might has well have been in the room with us. We could hear conversations, their TV, etc. Didn't have that issue on Epic or Jewel

Wow, same experience here! On NCL I have never heard neighbor noise, only theater when we were almost directly above (will never make that mistake again) whereas on CCL Victory we could here everything going on with our neighbors.

L.A.S.T.

On my last cruise I actually was bothered by the noise next door. On one side I could hear someone snoring, and on the other side I could hear a loud tv. This happened several nights. I learned to fall asleep by turning sideways. With my ear directly on my pillow I could hear the hum of the engine, which helped drown out the other noise and help me fall asleep.

I had significant noise from the neighbors on our last cruise. The neighbors turned out to be some sort of maintenance shop! I swear they were building another ship in there! Lots of hammering, pounding, drilling! I expect that maintenance has to happen, but do it when the boat is in port. It was pretty bad, but didn't ruin our time. We put up wih it for a day or so, then mentioned it to Klaus, the HD, and it was taken care of right away.

This was on the Jewel, Deck 4, Fwd, #4501.

Archived