Voyager of the Seas Picture Review Dec 2012 Australia & New Zealand Cruise

What was most fascinating were the stories of the real people who were interned at this place.

2wrhy0p.jpg

2a8rblu.jpg

These were just kids!

Makes you think hard, doesn't it? Look at the type of 'crimes' they committed and the punishments they were given. No doubt, this is rather extreme, but we should also ask ourselves whether we have swung too far on the other side.

There's a book that's a novel but pretty accurately describes conditions there in those days: For The Term of His Natural Life by Marcus Clarke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_the_Term_of_His_Natural_Life

Getting closer to the entrance of Milford Sound. This was taken at 6:11am. WJ opened at 6am sharp and I took a very quick bite before heading up to Deck 12 again.

20th69w.jpg

Clouds, mountains, water.... almost surreal. If I didn't know better, I would have thought that the ship was flying!

29wlsh5.jpg

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Was also on this cruise, enjoying your review so far and look forward to reading the rest of it. Thanks for putting so much effort in :)

Glad you are liking it!

Noticed on your cruise history that you have been on the Radiance & Rhapsody. I haven't! I want to go too! :)

It would not be a good idea to bring the kids up to Deck 12 in the early morning without first letting them have something to eat.

Room service solved that problem. Remember to order room service the night before, if you want to do the same.

This was taken at 7:15am, we were back up on Deck 12.

10z4efb.jpg

You see, what happened was about 50 cruise passengers left the ship, on this small ferry. They would become the newest settlers at Milford Sound. Apparently Diamonds had been found recently beneath one of those beautiful reservoirs. Hence, the bravest amongst the 3,400 pax would be given the one-in-a-lifetime chance to dig for Diamonds.

Talk about 21st century explorers.

vdk43.jpg

Once the ferry was clear, the good Captain started to turn the ship.

For those unacquainted with the propulsion system of the Voyager, you would be pleased to know that the Voyager has azipods and bow thrusters. She is able to swivel on the spot.

Very cool stuff.

Without this technology, there would be no way for a ship of this size to sail the Sounds.

1z6h840.jpg