what's a French balcony?

trish1c

They are great on the river ships as you get the effect of a balcony - view, fresh air, light, etc., but it doesn't cut into the real estate of your cabin. Since the canal-navigating river ships can't be any wider than they are, there would be no room for a true sit-down balcony without taking the space from the interior.

It is really important to look closely at the square footage of cabins with true balconies. Some actually have been able to build in a balcony and keep the cabin at a size that is comparable to others. For example, Scenic designed their "Space Ships" with balconies, and they are 200 sq ft (and up) in size. Even including the balcony into that square footage leaves you with a cabin that is pretty standard in size.

The French balcony cabins on the Viking Longships are actually smaller than those in Aquarium class - as Viking moved the centre corridor a bit off centre to accommodate the regular balcony cabins. The regular balcony cabins are 200+ sq feet (similar to Scenic) - and the French balcony ones are only 135 sq ft. (Aquarium class cabins are 150 sq ft). If room space is more important than window size, then the French balcony cabins on the Longships might not be the cabin for you.

Fran

We are excited about the twin balcony cabins on the newer AMA ships. They start at 210 square feet and feature both a French and regular balcony,

Wingtips - I see you are booked with a Freinds of Dave group. Lucky You! We had the best time ever with Dave on a tour in Germany!

I remember that post and laughed at the time...did they not even look at a brochure? Or go to the companies website and look at the pictures....unbelievable that some people will book a very expensive vacation site unseen with no research what so ever....exactly why I love Cruise Critic, such great info and wonderful resource!

That comment made me remember an incident. We were on a bus going from the New Orleans Airport to the Mississippi Queen (paddle wheel steamer), and a lady behind us saw a Carnival ship that was docked also. She said," Is that our ship?"

• 8 months later...

I loved the idea if a French balcony and we had one on our July 2013 Danube cruise, but the first time we opened the door, our room became a haven for mosquitoes and bugs so we had to keep the door closed. The floods of June probably had something to do with this happening.

We are going to be 1st time river cruisers in May 2013. We booked a French Balcony. On a fast moving, salt spraying, ocean viewing cruise ship I am happy to have an obstructed window. I just need a glimpse of daylight and to see the weather. Also, I am cheap and prefer to cruise frequently, rather than luxuriously. However, on a riverboat there will always be "stuff to see": everchanging towns and castles, boats on the river, lights at night. So I really wanted to enjoy the view and hear the sounds. So we opted for a big sliding glass "patio-door like" window that opens. I wont be able to sit or even step outside; but I will be able to stick my head out and look up or down the Rhine river.

One word of caution. I did not research this. It never crossed my mind as a possibility: Other riverboats can tie up next to you! So I bought some cute pajamas for the morning when I wake up and fling open my window. Instead of seeing a quaint town or castle; I find myself staring into the face of some guy on another riverboat. Hopefully, he will be wearing pajamas, too.

Alison your attitude is perfct for river cruising! A french balcony is basically a sliding glass door with a railing on the outside to keep you from falling out! You cannot sit or stand on it but since I'm claustrophobic, I really need to be able to see outside. Your point about the views is spot on and you can also take great pictures from it without fear of being jostled or having to wait your turn at the railing. It's true what you say about the ships tying up togther and I have to tell you, I've met some very interesting people this way! In Egypt we were tied up to a British ship that was going the opposite direction from our ship. After I was finished dressing, I opened the drapes and was sitting at the table reading when the people on our boat neighbor waved to me...I opened the balcony door and they opened theirs and next thing I knew they gave me a cup of tea, I gave them a cookie and we started sharing notes about where each of us was heading. It was delightful!! Enjoy your cruise!!

... It's true what you say about the ships tying up togther and I have to tell you, I've met some very interesting people this way! In Egypt we were tied up to a British ship that was going the opposite direction from our ship. After I was finished dressing, I opened the drapes and was sitting at the table reading when the people on our boat neighbor waved to me...I opened the balcony door and they opened theirs and next thing I knew they gave me a cup of tea, I gave them a cookie and we started sharing notes about where each of us was heading. It was delightful!! Enjoy your cruise!!

Love this story!!!

Archived