Northern Lights - which company?

EmmaN

Hope this is the right place for this question...

We are thinking of trying to see the Northern Lights in Jan or Feb 2014 I can see that Hurtigruten do but who else does? I have had a quick google but seem to be drawing a blank.

Any suggestions would be welcome! :)

A bit of climate science and astronomy might help. The Northern lights can happen any time but it helps to have a dark night to see them best. I am from a northern climate and the show can be AMAZING. I think you are off a bit searching in Jan or Feb. Since oceans have very high heat capacity, the warmest days trail the longest day by about two months. I would search for cruises going north in September or October or back up to August. You will still get 'some' summer heating but the days will be getting shorter and nights longer.

The Aurora is Northern but you do not need polar latitudes. Helsinki would do fine which is about 60 degrees north. We see them fine here -- outside the city -- at 53 degrees north. Would really help if the ship shut down deck lights for a few hours too. Your eyes need about half hour to fully see in the dark. Only then would you get the best show.

By Jan or Feb, you get the same day length but now in the coldest part of the winter which means the peak of ice formation. In general, ice and cruise ships do not mix.

I hope this helps.

Appears to be only one in Feb. 2014:

A lot of the 2014 cruises are not listed yet.

The 2013 cruise ships that I know of are:

• Cruise & Maritine- both Marco Polo (Tilbury) and Discovery (Bristol)
  • Fred Olsen- Boudicca (Portsmouth)
  • Hurtigruten- All ships on coastal route (Bergen)
  • SAGA- SAGA Sapphire (Southampton)

A good place to look is at the Port of Alta cruise ship list because almost all cruise ships call there. Some of the 2014 calls are already listed.

Hope this is the right place for this question...

We are thinking of trying to see the Northern Lights in Jan or Feb 2014 I can see that Hurtigruten do but who else does? I have had a quick google but seem to be drawing a blank.

Any suggestions would be welcome! :)

Not aware that any other company serves Northern Europe in the depths of winter.

I've spent much time in Alaska and have seen Northern Lights at various times from late September to early March. Obviously it is situational to weather conditions and heavy weather with clouds means you will see nothing.

Archived