Can I do this?

Shelley G

I am waiting for an answer from the Captain's Club, but thought I would post my question here in case someone has done this and can provide me with the answer I need (desire).

My husband and I are sailing on the Summit on June 2nd for our 40th wedding anniversary. Since the port at Bayonne is only about 20 minutes from Carlo's Bakery (you know, the Cake Boss from TLC), I thought I would like to surprise my husband with an anniversary cake from there. Our favourite movie is Casablanca and we danced to As Time Goes By for our first dance. So, the decorations on the cake would have this theme.I have not yet contacted the bakery since I want to get the answer from Celebrity first.Their website says they deliver to the port. Have any of you ever ordered any food or other items from an outside source to be delivered to a ship? Is there any other advice you can offer as to how I can achieve this? It wouldn't be a large cake and I would want it to be served with dinner on the night of our anniversary.Thanks in advance for all your help.

While you are waiting for a response from a fellow cruiser, you might want to try calling the bakery. If their web site says they deliver to the port then they might be able to tell you if they've gotten deliveries onto a Celebrity ship in the past.

Personally, if this was important to me I'd bring it on myself - although carrying a cake around while dealing with luggage would undoubtedly be a hassle.

You can also call the Celebrity cruise enhancements department and ask about this or try calling the department that handles special wedding and anniversary celebrations on board and ask them how you can do this.

Carlo's Bakery is considerably more than 20 minutes away from the port.

Actually, I did a Mapquest driving directions search, and it gave one route as being 20 minutes away and the other route as being 26 minutes away.

We were married on June 2, too. Hope it works out for you.

Thank you for the wishes. Our anniversary is actually on the 3rd of June. After 40 years, I think that I can honestly say that it's working out.

Shelley

While you are waiting for a response from a fellow cruiser, you might want to try calling the bakery. If their web site says they deliver to the port then they might be able to tell you if they've gotten deliveries onto a Celebrity ship in the past.

Personally, if this was important to me I'd bring it on myself - although carrying a cake around while dealing with luggage would undoubtedly be a hassle.

You can also call the Celebrity cruise enhancements department and ask about this or try calling the department that handles special wedding and anniversary celebrations on board and ask them how you can do this.

Thank you for your suggestions of who to call. I'll try that. Picking it up myself is not an option because I want it to be a surprise for my husband. I don't want him to know about it until the waiters bring it out for dessert.

Actually, I did a Mapquest driving directions search, and it gave one route as being 20 minutes away and the other route as being 26 minutes away.

I live in Nicaragua (But Canadian) and if I do a mapquest from Place "A", to "B" It says 30 minutes. But in reality I know it takes 60 minutes!

And residing in the DC area--I know at many times, the same holds true.

Your best bet is to contact the cake company...Best of luck

Thank you for your suggestions of who to call. I'll try that. Picking it up myself is not an option because I want it to be a surprise for my husband. I don't want him to know about it until the waiters bring it out for dessert.

Please let us know how this works out. But you might want to have Plan B in mind. Celebrity can do very nice anniversary cakes, maybe not TV show quality, but still very nice. Good luck.

While the thought is wonderful, I would be very surprised and disappointed if celebrity allows you to bring unpackaged food on board. Irrespective of the source and how well they are known, it is a risk to all other food on the ship stored in the same area as the cake, etc.

Let us know how this works out.....it's interesting.

First of all, congratulations on 40 years!!! That's wonderful!! We certainly hope you have a marvelous cruise celebration.

It does seem rather unlikely that you'll succeed in getting both approval from Celebrity and agreement from the NJ bakery. Though I, and the others who've said as much, could all be quite in error.

In the event it doesn't work out, please give consideration to speaking to either the Captain's Club Hostess or the Special Events Coordinator, and to the Maitre d' once aboard ship. Any of these 3 should be able to help you. Explain what you had tried to do and ask them to put you in contact with the ship bakery. I've done special things through the Galley and bakery many times, and they are masters at creating wonderful things and doing all they can to fulfill special requests.

Best wishes!!!!

CM

I was born and raised in Jersey City, a few blocks away from the Bayonne border. Your directions are not taking into account of the traffic between the port and Hoboken.

Archived