Panic setting in - Cruising 1/3/2013 & Passport expores 4/24/2013!!

HeatherInFlorida

That 9 month recommendation may be because passport requirements have increased in recent years ... like, you need a passport for the Caribbean or Canada where you didn't before.

On the one hand, I want to use up as much time as possible on my passport because they've become so expensive (yes, they are valid for longer periods).

And I really resent losing 6 months of a passport anyway!

My history was having a passport stolen in Prague on my mother's birthday, November 4, 1998. So we got to the Embassy just in time to get a new one, which was fortunate since we were flying to Paris the next morning. (That was a long sage which I will spare you from reading ...)

But that passport puzzled all sorts of check-in desks because it didn't have the thingies that all the computers looked for. So they had to do everything manually and it always took extra time.

Then my passport disappeared just in time for the March 2009 TA on Regatta, and since then I've been okay ... my current passport expires March 8, 2019 so I'm not in a hurry to renew it ...

But we are very aware of the 6 month problem ever since we couldn't do that Norway cruise back in 2007 or 2008 because Howard's passport expired just under 6 months from the beginning of the cruise ...

Another note ... apropos of nothing ... when we were crossing the border from Egypt to Israel in November 2006 (having startred out in Israel) the guards wanted to know why a married couple had different expiration dates on their passports.

???? Like, we each got our first passports before we'd met each other. Of COURSE the expiration dates were different!

Mura

Mura, that is funny! Why would he think they would be the same date? LOL! DH's expires in 2017 so he's good for awhile! But you can bet I'm marking our calendar 9 months out. It is expensive these days, I agree, but when you divide it even by 9 years, it's really not so bad.

I just think an expiration should be an expiration like our license, car registration, etc. And truthfully I do think if a cruise line or an airline insists that everyone must have a passport valid 6 months out, then it should be in very bold print on their site. I'm a reader, I read everything. But for some reason I didn't catch the paragraph at the top of our documents. It would have been too late by then anyway. It wasn't on anything when we booked.

But doesn't matter. It's my responsibility. And I was lucky!

Happy New Year!

Indeed, it worked out for you. It worked out for me. (Actually it worked out for me twice but I'll write privately about that!)

We never complain when it works out, right??!!!

Meanwhile, if you can, email us from the ship. The only common port I have on your itinerary is San Lucia and I can say that we bargained a cheap fare for a taxi driver at the port ... he did a great job. He also got shafted ... We shared the car with a young french couple who didn't seem to understand the idea of tipping.

But I was able to pick up a couple of bottles of good vodka at the port ...

Mura

See you soon, Danny!!!

Mura, I am taking a vacation from internet if I can pull it off. But I will be in touch when we return. We're staying on the ship in St. Lucia because we've been there so many times. We're going to Tortola, Barbados, St. Barts, Antigua and St.Lucia. And 4 days at sea! My favorite.

Thanks again for all your help both here and the emails!

Heather -

I am SO pleased for you!! Went through something of the same myself only it was your country's requirement that my passport (UK) be valid 6 months on the date of entry, which is the return from our cruise on 23 Jan. So had to renew the passport. Cost was close to 400US (ouch! UK passports cost money...) and I had hoped not to 'cos in June I will be Swiss and have a Swiss passport and ID card (cost 175US). Oh well!! Glad you are OK and I am too!!

Just one thing - please leave the Riviera in the wonderful state in which you find her for those of us boarding when you disembark!!

Gerry

Archived