Australian port security - is it similar to airport?

Are there restrictions as to what you can bring onboard? eg a small fruit knife, small pair of scissors, etc. I know in airport I can't take them as carry on, but can always check them in. For cruise ships, if they are concerned for "weapons", then both carry on and checked in make no difference then.

I know it is an unusual question and one may ask why I can't do without, but I always prefer sharp knives for cutting and peeling fruits, those provided by room service is no use.

There have been many comments about sharp items like swiss army knives etc and from my experience it can depend on the ship's security staff (and even then variations between staff as to what they will allow). I know we had a heck of a time in Italy on Azamara when DH bought an ornate letter opener in Florence. Security staff on the ship were very unhappy but did eventually let it on. I would think that nail scissors should be OK though I would put them in checked luggage. There are large signs at security at the OPT telling you what you cannot take through but sorry I cannot actually remember what was on them except for the guns etc.

gbenjo who works at the OPT may be able to let you know or someone who cruises regularly from Australia. We are sailing again in a couple of weeks and I will have a look at the what the signs say.

Are there restrictions as to what you can bring onboard? eg a small fruit knife, small pair of scissors, etc. I know in airport I can't take them as carry on, but can always check them in. For cruise ships, if they are concerned for "weapons", then both carry on and checked in make no difference then.

I know it is an unusual question and one may ask why I can't do without, but I always prefer sharp knives for cutting and peeling fruits, those provided by room service is no use.

i have taken a pair of scissors and nail clippers in my luggage and never been stopped, dont take it in your carry on as it might not get thru

Hi,

You need to check the cruise line you are travelling with, most quote the same restrictions as if you are going on an aircraft.

I went on and off Radiance of the Seas on a cruise last year with a small first aid kit in my backpack, inside was a pair of disposable scissors about 1" long rounded blades. They were passed OK by security on 6 occasions but in one port I was subjected to extreme security made to feel like a criminal and have since thrown them out of the kit altogether.

If the knife was in your check in luggage and wasn't allowed, and your bag did not arrive in your cabin, you could guess that it has been held up by security staff, we saw many bags being held because they had scissors, irons & jugs etc in them.

Hi

My brother in law always likes to take duct tape and scissors :D he says they are good for any situation but the last 2 times boarding our cruises his scissors have been confiscated and returned at the end.

Tania

...and this shows the stupidity and intellectually capacity of those in charge of our security.

Where on a ship access to items such as steak knives, screw drivers etc would be fairly easy straight after you have had those scissors confiscated. Mad world......

My husband always takes his leatherman ( like a swiss army knife).

He always puts it in his checked luggage. Only once was his luggage kept in the "naughty room" and as soon as they saw the leatherman he was fine to take it to the cabin. The kids found it highly amusing that he was summoned to the naughty room.

Security at airports etc is a nonsense. One of those "look like we are doing something when we're not" My hubby regularly flies for work, and as he conducts business training courses, he regularly has a product called "blu tac" to hold up paper etc on walls. Now, think about what blu tac looks like? Hmm, plastic explosives. He has never ever been queried about the blu tac anywhere in the world.

Security at airports etc is a nonsense. One of those "look like we are doing something when we're not" My hubby regularly flies for work, and as he conducts business training courses, he regularly has a product called "blu tac" to hold up paper etc on walls. Now, think about what blu tac looks like? Hmm, plastic explosives. He has never ever been queried about the blu tac anywhere in the world.

Hmmm reminds me of several incidences 25+ years ago when I was working in Sydney.

One day I walked through a metal detector at Sydney airport (domestic) and set it off. Got the magic wand passed over me. The security guy found my car keys, then waved me on. Didn't send me back through the machine. He didn't pick up the S&W mod 10 strapped to my ankle! (is ok, police pc - working.) Badge flash and ducked into a nearby empty departure lounge with the guy, just to to make him aware what he missed by not running the wand down past my knees.

Another time at a passenger security checkpoint (Sydney international), I was standing behind the security officer who was vetting the xray display of carryon luggage going through the xray machine. So, Xray slides in, and straight away I am seeing shapes consistent with that of a pistol in profile. (k, breech and barrel were a bit hazy, but trigger and trigger guard and partial grip were a dead giveaway!). Security officer didn't see it and was going to let it pass unflagged! I had point it out to her (k, it was a she, but I am not saying it was a woman thing). Anyway, bag searched and a nice big yellow water pistol located. (Was a family of 2 + 2 kids.) 'Gun' was deemed safe, but still removed and placed in cargo hold for the flight.

I take a sewing kit with large sissors every time I cruise.... I have never been questioned about them....just make sure you put it in the checkin luggage.

Unfortunately we did not have the same experience. My wife also took her sewing kit with favourite small scissors on our Perth-Sydney cruise in March. We had it in our checked luggage. Security must have taken a liking to the scissors as they were confiscated for the length of the cruise. Excuse was that they were too pointy. Bought a new pair at first port of call with rounded points and walked through security with the item in our back pack.

Moral of the story - makes no difference wether in checked in luggage or not and don't take the pointy type. Small rounded ones seem to be the most acceptable.

After reading fnqboatie post I have to add this:

We watched an aged fellow and his aged wife go through security in Hobart last year. This lovely man's wife was using a wheelie walker. They had his shoe's, belt, watch, etc off to go to through the metal detector. They then had him place his hands through the machine to assist his wife through.

Once she was on the other side the security guy grabbed the wheelie walker and quickly dragged it around the machine so she could sit down on it whilst the old fellow put his gear back on.

But the Security guy did not check the bags handing on the handles or the carry basket that is under the seat, both clearly had lots of things in it.

Then I got done with the scissors.:D Farcical to say the least......

Blu Tac has the wrong smell than plastic explosive (PE)

Unfortunately we did not have the same experience. My wife also took her sewing kit with favourite small scissors on our Perth-Sydney cruise in March. We had it in our checked luggage. Security must have taken a liking to the scissors as they were confiscated for the length of the cruise. Excuse was that they were too pointy. Bought a new pair at first port of call with rounded points and walked through security with the item in our back pack.

Moral of the story - makes no difference wether in checked in luggage or not and don't take the pointy type. Small rounded ones seem to be the most acceptable.

AS I said the sad thing for these mental giants of security (it is slightly different on a plane) you can climb on a ship and go to the restaurant and get several big serrated steak knifes to slash anyone - you don't need dainty little sewing kit scissors.

But then..minimum wage folk need something to excite their afternoon and display to their bosses they have done a job...

I would be more impressed if these guys were finding tomahawks, and garrotting wire, and knuckledusters...but they aren't. I'm betting they rarely even find drugs...but oppp...we better not let grandmas sewing kit on board. They might sew the captain into a bag.....

When it comes to travel security (ships, planes, whatever) it's all about perception and being SEEN to be doing something even if we all know it's complete nonsense and someone determined to cause havoc can still easily find a way to do so.

Archived