Review: Carnival Mediterranean 12-Night Cruise

Hey Christina,

I didn't realize that kids can get alcohol poisoning from that liquid gel! Oh my! As a surgical nurse, I should probably be getting tips from you on antibacterial products! :) I guess I'll stick with my wipes for now then!

I had registered our son in the Camp Carnival, but in the end, he didn't go and we kept him with us...Our days at port were so busy, and during the Sea Days one of us (or grandma) was quite happy to take a nap with him in the cabin for a little down-time. If he were just a bit older, I would've sent him. But, I wasn't sure how they manage taking the 3 year olds to the bathroom, so I was concerned. He potty trained at 2.5, and at the time of the cruise he still needed some prompting from me now and again to ensure there weren't accidents. So just to keep our progress alive, that was another reason I didn't send him. But, I've only heard great things about it! We're thinking we'll let him go on our cruise next month!

The weather in September was nearly perfect! We did take some light cardigans and sweaters, but no coats. To be honest, we usually needed them at night in the MDR when I felt like the AC was cranked way too high! They also came in handy during the dive-in movie...

I'm glad you'll be doing a review on your trip - I'll look forward to it!

Old-fashioned techniques are usually best and using soap and water and friction with rubbing works the best for getting rid of germs. I only use antibacterial soap in the kitchen for when cooking. Wipes work well for little ones too ;)

Thanks for all the tips! I hope you will continue reviewing your cruise travels. I will be looking out for them and I want to go on the france-belgium trip... one day!

Thanks for all the tips! I hope you will continue reviewing your cruise travels. I will be looking out for them and I want to go on the france-belgium trip... one day!

Oh, I think I will! I enjoyed writing this review and reliving our cruise so much! That France/Belgium trip is a cruise I'm taking my mom on for her 60th birthday. We're going to be spending 10 days traveling through England prior, so we're really excited!

What a great review! We will be sailing from Venice to Barcelona in May. Can you tell me if portside or starboard side is better for a balcony room? Do you remember if the ship mainly docked on one side or the other? Also, does the ship come that close to shore while sailing that if we had starboard we could see the shore? Thank you

I hope you have a wonderful time in Venice. When we sailed into Venice we had a starboard cove balcony cabin. We were able to see the sights as the ship made its way past St Marks square and other sights. The ship docked at the very end and whether you have starboard or portside, there wasn't much to see. Our ship was docked starboard side but it's a large port that can accommodate more than one ship.

The port in Barcelona is huge and a little bit away from the city center. On one side is the sea and the other side is the highway and hills. It's not really pedestrian friendly but it's a short taxi ride to the city. The smaller cruise ships can dock downtown and its a easy walk to get around. Have a great time!

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and BEAUTIFUL pictures with us on CC.

Your photos are indeed fantastic, so vivid and life-like.

You have a beautiful family, and yeah, that boy of yours is model material!

Those blue eyes are going to be lady killers! Good luck on that :D

Your review makes this itinerary look a bit less intimidating than I imagine it to be.

Someday, we'll have enough time to research it and take the plunge.

Thanks again and I wish your family many inspiring travels in the future!

Thanks for the AWESOME review and amazing pics!! I have been debating on if my hubby and I wanted to try something different and cruise these ports. After reading your review and seeing so much history, this is a def must do. I just need to do some more research on airfare. Oh and btw, you have a very beautiful family. Thanks again!

What a great review! We will be sailing from Venice to Barcelona in May. Can you tell me if portside or starboard side is better for a balcony room? Do you remember if the ship mainly docked on one side or the other? Also, does the ship come that close to shore while sailing that if we had starboard we could see the shore? Thank you

Hi brickgirl,

I think the post below you probably answered this better than I could since we actually had a porthole balcony....

Have a wonderful time on your trip in May!!!

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and BEAUTIFUL pictures with us on CC.

Your photos are indeed fantastic, so vivid and life-like.

You have a beautiful family, and yeah, that boy of yours is model material!

Those blue eyes are going to be lady killers! Good luck on that

Your review makes this itinerary look a bit less intimidating than I imagine it to be.

Someday, we'll have enough time to research it and take the plunge.

Thanks again and I wish your family many inspiring travels in the future!

Hi silverkrikhix! Thanks so much for reading along! And thanks for the compliment on my pics and family!

I'm glad the review helped to make this itinerary a little less intimidating. I'd definitely recommend it! And my key advice would be: try not to do TOO much in each port! :)

Thanks for the AWESOME review and amazing pics!! I have been debating on if my hubby and I wanted to try something different and cruise these ports. After reading your review and seeing so much history, this is a def must do. I just need to do some more research on airfare. Oh and btw, you have a very beautiful family. Thanks again!

Thank you so much! You guys should definitely consider it! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I finally took a photo of my favorite souvenir purchase which I referenced below:

My Favorite Souvenir Purchase from Dubrovnik

If you're looking to purchase something very special in Dubrovnik, I'd recommend the handmade jewelry. The Konavle style jewelry is intricate and beautiful. I bought a pair of solid sterling silver earrings and a matching pendant from a family in a tiny (old) jewelry shop. They made the jewelry as had their parents and grandparents. The shop had been there nearly 150 years! I paid around $100 for all three items and they're probably my most treasured souvenir from the cruise. A pic of the shop:

Here's the beautiful Konavle jewelry that you will find in Dubrovnik! The selection is amazing, and the craftsmanship impeccable!

konavle_zpsf8bf3ba6.jpg

we are going on almost the same trip on the sunshine in june. its our fourth cruise but first to europe.. Your posts really helped me alot. It is very overwhelming to me for the first time in planning all of this.. we are in our late fifities and i feel like i need someone to walk me thru all of this after traveling for 40 years with my husband!! its going to be so fun and your pic were beautiful.. i think croatia is my favorite.. i hope i can figure all this out like your family did and i guess the boo boos will be good stories later ha.. thanks! you have a beautiful family.. my girls have traveled since babies too... now grown and going on their own travels.:)

Sailawaybellaluna,

I plan to book Sunshine in June 2013. I am working on the air ticket, and hoping to find out how early we can leave the ship on the final day. I am currently trying to book a flight that fly out at 7:45 am @ Barcelona airport.

Thanks,

we are going on almost the same trip on the sunshine in june. its our fourth cruise but first to europe.. Your posts really helped me alot. It is very overwhelming to me for the first time in planning all of this.. we are in our late fifities and i feel like i need someone to walk me thru all of this after traveling for 40 years with my husband!! its going to be so fun and your pic were beautiful.. i think croatia is my favorite.. i hope i can figure all this out like your family did and i guess the boo boos will be good stories later ha.. thanks! you have a beautiful family.. my girls have traveled since babies too... now grown and going on their own travels.

Dolphin2012, you will have a great time on the Sunshine in June, I'm sure! I just watched the new video they released of that ship, and it looks beautiful!

I'm so glad my review is helping you in your planning...I really think the Rick Steve's Mediterranean Ports of Call Guide Book is a great resource if you're feeling a bit overwhelmed in your planning. He has detailed maps and DIY itineraries that really simplify things.

Let me know if I can offer any suggestions to help - I love travel planning! :-) The boards dedicated to specific ports are also full of great advice which you'll probably found useful too.

Have a wonderful time! :)

Sailawaybellaluna,

I plan to book Sunshine in June 2013. I am working on the air ticket, and hoping to find out how early we can leave the ship on the final day. I am currently trying to book a flight that fly out at 7:45 am @ Barcelona airport.

Thanks,

Hi sunriser,

I personally wouldn't book a flight that early. I'm not sure where you'd be flying to, but considering they recommend checking in two hours prior, I don't think you'll make it.

I believe we got off the ship around 8:30am if I remember correctly. BUT, there was a huge taxi queue outside which took awhile. Although it's just a short ride to the airport, once we arrived at the airport we spent one full hour waiting in line at the British Airways counter...

I personally wouldn't book anything before 10 or 11am. You never know when the ship might be late to the port, or have an issue clearing official entry back to Spain...

Hi Sunraiser!

I just checked my notes again, and I misspoke above - we actually didn't even get off of the ship until around 9am! So, to me, it'd be pretty dicey booking a 7:45am flight! Best of luck!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have looked everywhere online, purchased travel guides, etc. Nothing has come close to offering me the information I need like your review!

My husband and I are adventurous but we have not traveled Europe. I felt like we were getting sucked into the cruise excursions (Much as I dislike the lack of freedom, they would keep us out of trouble.) Now I feel like we can certainly do some of the ports on our own. Your recommendations regarding Rome were fabulous. Why did I feel like we had to do it all? Can we, and do you recommend we purchase tickets to the Coliseum, etc. ahead of time to avoid lines or is it just as easy to get them at the time we arrive? We definitely want to see the prison as well. Also, can you talk a little about the train you took to Rome? I would like to use this transportation if I feel we can get there and back with little trouble. (We don't speak Italian so I am wondering if we would be competent to take a train...)

Again, thank you so much for your post!

Cat

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have looked everywhere online, purchased travel guides, etc. Nothing has come close to offering me the information I need like your review!

My husband and I are adventurous but we have not traveled Europe. I felt like we were getting sucked into the cruise excursions (Much as I dislike the lack of freedom, they would keep us out of trouble.) Now I feel like we can certainly do some of the ports on our own. Your recommendations regarding Rome were fabulous. Why did I feel like we had to do it all? Can we, and do you recommend we purchase tickets to the Coliseum, etc. ahead of time to avoid lines or is it just as easy to get them at the time we arrive? We definitely want to see the prison as well. Also, can you talk a little about the train you took to Rome? I would like to use this transportation if I feel we can get there and back with little trouble. (We don't speak Italian so I am wondering if we would be competent to take a train...)

Again, thank you so much for your post!

Hi Cat,

Oh I'm so glad my review was helpful for you! Thank you for reading along! :)

Will you be visiting the Colosseum during your cruise in May? If so, I'd probably recommend purchasing tix in advance. I think there are several online vendors you can google for this (and print at home). They should cost around 13E and also be good for entrance to the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill. If that gives you peace of mind, you should be able to skip the queue (should there be one) and go straight to online purchases/internet reservations counter.

The train is super easy and you'd have no problem buying tickets! We don't speak Italian either, but the automatic kiosks are in English. Just a little WARNING: Most of our American credit cards do NOT have a micro chip embedded in them the way European credit cards do. This isn't a problem at shops or restaurants, but for automatic ticket purchases at train stations, it is. I know the ticket kiosks at Civitavecchia train station do NOT accept cards without the micro chip. So, be sure to have cash on hand. Or, you could always wait in the line and purchase at the ticket counter...

You'll just want to purchase a one-way (or round-trip) to Rome's Termini Station. We purchased a one way because we weren't exactly sure which train we wanted to return on. Like I said, our journey was about an hour and 5 minutes or so. Very simple. Once you arrive at Termini, you exit out of the station and turn right. At the stop light you'll slowly meander downhill into the ancient part of Rome. About a 10-minute leisurely walk.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I might be able to help with!

Heidi

Cat,

I just checked on Rail Europe dot com for you, and Trenitalia has some tickets for $15 that take as little as 38 minutes into Rome! Like I said, we only paid 5E for our tix because we took a little longer journey...

Not sure what day you're actually looking into heading to Rome, but you can do some mock bookings online and see what the train times are like...

Also, forgot to mention above: Termini station can be a little sketchy. I guess like any train station in a major city! Just keep a tight grasp on your purse and watch your wallets.

We also did experience a group of guys monitoring the tourists at the ticket kiosks when we tried to buy our return tickets back to the ship. They'd say, "Oh no, that machine doesn't work...come use this machine and let me help you!". They were very forceful and pushy. And clearly, the machines they were referencing WERE working. My only guess is they were keeping an eye open for PIN numbers and perhaps one of them was on point to steal the cards? Not sure, but it was sketchy. Nothing to be scared of, but just be on guard at the station...