Fuel

samtesla

Interesting comments about the nuclear power plant option. However, instead of pods, I wonder why more ships don't use the water-jet propulsion system used on high-speed ferries and ships like Olympia Voyager, that could haul along at about 35 knots without much fuss.

Of course, the down side to high speed is that you can't really use the open deck space when you're running full bore.

While waterjets are really clever for low-speed manuevering (thus explaining their use in tugs), I think they have efficiency problems when the hull isn't planing.

As for the Olympia Voyger, I think it's a case of clever technology meeting fundamental problems of physics. She just doesn't look all that successful, if you look at the amount of energy that would have to be used to get the hull to plane, and dear god, the outside deck would be a bit breezy at speed. I suspect her new owners don't try to operate it at quite rated speed. It was a pretty high power-to-displacement ratio compared to most vessels. It just doesn't quite pencil out. I'm also not entirely convinced she had a waterjet system - I think she had two counterrotating highly skewed props. Then again, I've been wrong before.

Nonetheless, this does provide the opportunity for exciting new recreation opportunities for guests. I've always wanted to waterski behind a cruise ship....

Eric

I believe it was the Leonardo DaVinci that had the ability to be repowered with a nuclear reactor. The France had 4 boiler rooms and could break 32 knots with all the boilers lit. She handled like a Ferrari. I remember leaving Miami after a storm and the Soverign of the Seas had to return to Miami because it was too rough. The FRANCE then NORWAY just sliced right through the rough seas...even though NCL had cut out 2 of her propellers...she still sailed like a pro.

ROSS

Published maximums for the Grand are 24 knots, the QM2 at roughly 30, so it's possible to argue that, in fact, the Grand class is underpowered relative to what would be utterly possible if not practical.
I would imagine there would also be some issues with keeping the bow from being squashed flat at speed…

Wow this thread sure got technical. Next we will hear about putting "warp drives" or the "Infinite Improbability Drive" on cruise ships.

Is it true if everyone flushed at the same time the ship would go faster

he Infinite Improbability Drive, also known as the Golden Bail, or the Heart of Gold, is the principal motive force of the starship

from

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=Infinite%20Improbability%20Drive

Sigh....I remember the days when I could fill up my '67 Pontiac Firebird for 30 cents a gallon! Don't know which I want more....the 30 cents a gallon, or my '67 Firebird back!

What is the real Price of Gas?

from

http://inflationdata.com/Inflation/Inflation_Rate/Gasoline_Inflation.asp

HISTORIC GAS PRICES ADJUSTED FOR INFLATION

from

http://www.perryx2.com/oilprice_chart.html

Archived