Eating near the port in Grand Cayman

chinooker

We have been to Grand Cayman a few other times but always had an excursion to go to. This time, we have our 1 yr old with us and want to stay close to the port and eat. I know the Hard Rock is close but we wanted to find out if anyone has a recommendation for a real food restaurant within walking distance of the port.

What's your definition of "real food" and what atmosphere are you looking for? For example, I ate at an amazing Mexican place there last week (ok, here really, since I'm still in Cayman for a few more days) but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for... :grin:

By "real food" I just mean something local, not a chain tourist trap that is reasonably priced (by GC standards, of course). Recognizing that with a toddler and wanting to stay in the general area of the port we will be limited, I just would like a good idea of what is there. Thanks!

Rackam's on the waterfront is interesting, and we love Casanova By The Sea (Italian) which is a bit of a walk from the pier area and not sure when they open. But check tripadvisor and websites.

If all else fails, Paradise Restaurant on the water at the south end of town is good, they have some local dishes and it's a very casual atmosphere on the water.

Congrats on the young one!

Breezes is pretty good, and it's on an upper floor right across from the port area, with a balcony patio overlooking the street, so it's got a good view. Further away from the port there are more choices, but they would likely involve a longer walk or taxi. We like Eats Cafe and Coconut Joes for "regular" food, Thai Orchid for sushi, Carlos & Martins (new-ish, just past Thai Orchid) for mexican, Al La Kebab for middle eastern, Lone Star for tex-mex and there's lots more. There are maps and menus for most places here: http//www.caymangoodtaste.com

Guy Harvey's Grill has nice seafood and a view overlooking the harbour. It is next to Hard Rock.

Casanova, Dolce Vita, and Lobster Pot have waterfront settings a short to modest walk north of the tender docks.

A longish walk (~1 mile) south of town is the Sunset House hotel. Menu items from their SeaHarvest Restaurant can be ordered with dining al fresco at My Bar.

Sunset house is way too far to walk with a toddler in the heat!

Some of the other spots can be a walk too in the heat. Be safe and if too hot take a taxior just head for Paradise. Harvey's was closed alot during the day when we were there but there were no ships in port.

Breezes is pretty good, and it's on an upper floor right across from the port area, with a balcony patio overlooking the street, so it's got a good view. Further away from the port there are more choices, but they would likely involve a longer walk or taxi. We like Eats Cafe and Coconut Joes for "regular" food, Thai Orchid for sushi, Carlos & Martins (new-ish, just past Thai Orchid) for mexican, Al La Kebab for middle eastern, Lone Star for tex-mex and there's lots more. There are maps and menus for most places here: http//www.caymangoodtaste.com

Good tip, thank you!

We're gettin a bit far from the dock and there are some fun spots and some great restaurants if a taxi is an option. We do enjoy evenings (and breakfasts) at C Joe's, short taxi ride just before RP, good 2 for 1 drink specials and food. If you read the TA reviews for the Marriott you'll see many ppl enjoy their time there.

Archived