Random Liberty Questions ...

JediMom

Hi everyone :)

Next month will be our first cruise in over a decade and we couldn't be more excited!! I'm hoping someone can answer a couple of questions for me though, specifically for the Liberty ...

Kids Club - We have a 7 year old son, how is the kids club really?? There seems to be some conflicting reports that I'm reading. Does he have to stay for the whole morning session (for example) or can he come and go throughout the day while they're open? (Obviously we'll sign him in and out). We're not planning on having him in there for the whole trip, but as an only child I think he'd have more fun hanging out with other kids rather then us for the whole cruise ;)

How much are games at the arcade?

Dining - We have early seating for dinner. We don't want to share a table and sit only with ourselves. Can we do this in the MDR or do we need to switch to my time dining?

How do they handle allergies? DH is allergic to shellfish and DS to peanuts.

Drink Packages - I was looking online, but do we know if there's a drink package being offered on the 5 day out of Ft Lauderdale??

Good morning and congrats on your cruise. You'll love your ship! From one mom to another, I expect you AND your son will love the Adventure Ocean kid's club. You can definitely sign him in and out, but if my kids are any gauge, he probably won't want to leave. The staff is great and they plan a full session of activities around a theme. It might be science in the morning, art in the afternoon and pirates at night. You'll get a schedule in your room the night before telling him what's going on the next day, times, themes, etc. He will make friends, learn new things, and will be safe. Take some time to go browse the shops, get a massage or just lay out and get some mommy/daddy time while he's having fun. You deserve it too!

The arcade games work off of credits you load on his seapass card. There are machines in the arcade that let you do this and put it on your shipboard account.

I don't think you'll need to switch to MTD to get a table alone. Just call RCCL and ask the agent to make a note on your dining preferences. You can also do this on the website, but I prefer to just call them. Just request a table for the number in your family and you'll be all set. We ususally go to the MDR once we get aboard, just to scope our where our table is. (The table number is on your key card, so you'll know as soon as you're checked in.) This lets the kids know where we are, and just helps them get familiar with the ship sooner. If you want a table change, go to the Maitre D' stand right away and let him know. They try to be as accommodating as possible, but making these arrangements right now will assure your preferences are known when they go to make the seating assignments.

Drink packages - I assume you mean the soda/water/juice packages? Yes they are offered on 5 day cruises. Prices are listed on the website. As for allergies, let the agent know this when you call. Also be sure to notify the Adventure Ocean staff.

Hope this helps. Enjoy yourself!

Hi Jedimom,

I will also be using the kids club for my 8 year old daughter (only child). I'm hoping she will find a fun little kid outgoing like her and love it there ! I've also her mixed things about it. I guess we will try it out the first day so she can meet kids and see how it goes. My mom is coming along, so worst case, we have an extra babysitter..but I'd like us all to be able to do things together and enjoy some adult time.

We are going Feb. 11. I believe I saw you on that roll call as well ??

This is our first cruise..I am so excited ! I know my DD will take me broke in the arcade ! Santa brought her a fun change purse with $20 in quarters in it for her cruise !! Something tells me that will last about 1/2 hour. ha ha !

Looking forward to meeting you and your son if in fact you are on that same cruise !!

How do they handle allergies? DH is allergic to shellfish and DS to peanuts.

My DW is allergic to shellfish as well. RCI has always been great about working around her food allergies. Call the toll-free number and ask them to update your cruiser profile with your food allergies.

It works a little different on every ship. When you get to the MDR and check in with the host will notify the wait staff about your food allergies. Some ships we've I've seen the paper slip with our info have a section with BOLD print listing her allergies. On Majesty the hostess just told the wait staff. On our last cruise on Enchantment the head waitor would visit our table every night and review the next day's menu so she could make sure there was something she would enjoy for dinner. The new menus are excellent about having vegetarian items and identifying those on the menu. There's been several nights where shes ordered the vegetarian selections and loved them enough to order them again on a following night. They also post the MDR menus outside the MDR early in the day.

Far as shellfish it's been pretty easy to avoid except on seafood night. We usually avoid the MDR on this night simply because there's so much shellfish vapor in the air from the lobster. Everyone seems to get the lobster. Therefore, we go to Johnny Rockets or Chops on Fisherman's Feast night. On our first cruise she almost started having a mild reaction by the time we finished dinner. She was able to take some benadryl and stave off any major problems. On a funny note....This was on our honeymoon cruise so I was freaking out that she was having symptoms. I was all about the "training" I had received when we started dating so I had the EpiPen broke out and primed. She had to talk me down. I was about a minute away from "blue to the sky and orange to the thigh".

I have no experience with peanuts but I would imagine it wouldn't be any more difficult since it's so common an allergy especially in kids.

Just two things to note:

The new menu is shellfish heavy. I would see if anyone on here has pictures of them and take a look at them or try to see them right away or the night before to plan ahead. As well as the menu states very clearly that it isn't a nut free kitchen, as it's a common allergy I am sure they work around it I'm just not sure how. Plan ahead by calling and making sure to speak to someone once you get on board.

Besides that, you'll love the Liberty!

No need to pay for a different venue on lobster night. You can find very good dinner selections every night in the Windjammer buffet. And there is "home made" ice cream there every night with various toppings!
This is very true. We always like to eat a Chops one night of the cruise. We just try to pick Fisherman's Feast night.

Just two things to note:

As well as the menu states very clearly that it isn't a nut free kitchen, as it's a common allergy I am sure they work around it I'm just not sure how.

Besides that, you'll love the Liberty!

Ask Adam Blog: http://www.answeritroyally.com/blog/?p=4747

What are Royal Caribbean’s food allergy procedures? Do you have specific menus or dedicated work space or protocol to prepare food for guests with food allergies? – Sharon W.

Both my sons have peanut and nut allergies, is it safe for my boys to cruise with you guys? Are there peanut and nut free options for them that are safe? – Cindi T.

Yes, we have peanut and nut free options. In fact one of my family members is allergic to peanuts and other foods and has never had an issue on our ships. We have a “special order” cook & work space for special dietary needs, however, since this is located within the other galley spaces it is not a completely allergen free production. While we are able to handle the more common food allergies, we need to review each request on a case by case basis when it pertains to severe food allergies.

This month we are launching a brand new training segment of special dietary needs and allergies for our dining staff. We are also developing new daily allergen-free menus with the appropriate processes which we are launching in June.

Please remember that guests should inform us as early as possible with their specific needs so we can try to accommodate. We require a minimum of two weeks’ notice for regular requests, and up to two months for ships based outside of theUnited States. All dietary requests are handled by our Special Needs department. Travel agents or guests should email special_needs@rccl.com with their specific request, sail date and booking ID. Once onboard, guest should contact their Maitre’d and/or headwaiter to discuss the arrangements.

Archived