OK, I'm fed up!

sprinkles

I think that rude/insensitive/disrespectful people are just that. Anyone who doesn't abide within their somewhat skewed perspective is in line for a mouthful, unfortunately. Disabled people, overweight people, parents with prams, elderly, whatever. I don't think it matters to rude people. If they can't have it they way they want it, it's gotta be SOMEONE'S fault. And someone who stands out a bit, for whatever reason is unfortunately going to be a likely target. Myself and both my sons have Aspergers. Between us we have a selection box of sensitivities, lol. I get a little frustrated sometimes having to explain why occasionally exceptions or "special" arrangements have to be made on our behalf. "But you look so normal" is a standard response. DH (the only one of us without Aspergers) has been known to tell people that he's had our neck bolts removed for servicing. :D. We try not to stress over it, and have dealt with some truly awesome people who have gone above and beyond to help us out in various situations. People who are going to comment/roll eyes/spit the dummy are going to do it regardless. I think a good attitude and a sense of humour (hard at times, I know) beats insensitivity and rudeness every time.

Let's hear it for Shriners!!!

DS suffered his devastating illness at 17. Insurance wouldn't cover his continued therapies. Applied to Shriners, got approved just a couple weeks before his 18th birthday [good until 21]. So he got his therapies, injections, and a couple surgeries to loosen his tendons.

It appears as if people are less considerate of the disabled now days. It seems to go with the "it's all about me" society in which we live. But as many people have mentioned here there are "rays" of hope out there. I know that there are two things that I don't hear much about in today's society, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" and "there but by the grace of God go I".

DW and I went on a ten day cruise to Canada (Quebec City) from NYC and I have to say that I felt as if I fit right in (I use a cane). I think that they could have held a "guess the number of canes and rollators on board" game. It was the first cruise that I've used my cane and it was a positive experience.

It appears as if people are less considerate of the disabled now days. It seems to go with the "it's all about me" society in which we live. But as many people have mentioned here there are "rays" of hope out there. I know that there are two things that I don't hear much about in today's society, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" and "there but by the grace of God go I".

DW and I went on a ten day cruise to Canada (Quebec City) from NYC and I have to say that I felt as if I fit right in (I use a cane). I think that they could have held a "guess the number of canes and rollators on board" game. It was the first cruise that I've used my cane and it was a positive experience.

Hi NYNC - I was just having a "chat" with the lovely ladies on the "Cruising with a service dog" thread and the expression "there but by the grace of God go I" came into my head just a moment ago. I am not in need of a service dog or companion dog but do so enjoy their lovely tales and have two dogs myself. One of the ladies just commented that could I imagine taking my beautiful boy dog everywhere with me. My heart thought yes that would be wonderful, but I was thinking at the same time "there but by the Grace of God I don't need to".

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise! :)

Sadly, there are many people who are handicap "cheaters". I see them almost everyday when it comes to parking spots. I think that it is part of what leads to "armchair medics" as mentioned. It is hard when you are trying to help the disabled and you see so many insensitive people abusing the system. I do watch people when they park and if they can jump out of their vehicle and dash into the store...they really don't need to take that spot. I do understand and have read some excellent examples of hidden disabilities. Unfortunately, those that take advantage of the system make it harder for the disabled. I think that people can become skeptical and indifferent. Maybe after 20 years of frustration I am a little tired of fighting the battles:( I even had to report a police car for repeatedly parking in the accessible stalls in front of Starbucks (he was not a disabled officer).

Sadly, there are many people who are handicap "cheaters". I see them almost everyday when it comes to parking spots. I think that it is part of what leads to "armchair medics" as mentioned. It is hard when you are trying to help the disabled and you see so many insensitive people abusing the system. I do watch people when they park and if they can jump out of their vehicle and dash into the store...they really don't need to take that spot. I do understand and have read some excellent examples of hidden disabilities. Unfortunately, those that take advantage of the system make it harder for the disabled. I think that people can become skeptical and indifferent. Maybe after 20 years of frustration I am a little tired of fighting the battles:( I even had to report a police car for repeatedly parking in the accessible stalls in front of Starbucks (he was not a disabled officer).

The ones that make me crazy are the ones that I personally know have a handicap tag for a family member but use it even when that person isn't in the car with them. The police never check, and they should. I don't park out in the way yonder, but try to find a spot "in the middle" to leave the closer ones for people who might not have a placard but probably should or those who can't get into one of the HC spots because they are all taken.

My son drop floor van so he must use a van accessible stall in order to drop his ramp. If there are 10 empty accessible stalls but someone has parked in the van stall he can't park. If he parks in a regular accessible stall and someone parks next to him while he is gone he won't be able to get back in his van, so its extra hard for people with ramps. Sometimes, even while parked in an accessible stall, someone will park in the striped off area next to him while also leaves him trapped outside his van until they return.

Hi All,

I have to admit that I have never posted on this forum, I have lurked quite a bit, so forgive me if this has been talked about.

I've been sailing exclusively on Princess for awhile so really only go on that board. I'm wondering if the rest of the cruise line boards (and people) are the same. I have had it with all the negative comments (and there are MANY) on the Princess board regarding "all the walkers and wheelchairs" and handicapped people in general. IT just seems like it has been happening more and more.

I just read a section of a thread about cruise snobs and this person commented about a "dubiousely handicapped person" and made comments about how their handicap seemed to change (later seen walking around NYC).

I really just want to screem, I personally have multiple sclerosis. My level of disability can change from hour to hour. I'm on the younger side (44), but have probably had this for over 20 years. It was not until a BRAIN BIOBSY 3 years ago that I found out what was really wrong with me. I know that looking at me, I do not look "sick", (especially since my hair has grown out and no one can see the scar on my head). But are you kidding me - even before I "knew" that I was sick, I always had compassion for the handicapped.

Now, I just recently took my first cruise with a walker and just like my disease at home, over the course of 28 days there were times I would need it and times I didn't. But the rudeness of ALOT of people was really overwhelming. You could SEE their distaste. There were times I did not even try to get off on my floor because people were so rude. I had one woman try to clear the elevator (she had hit the button for me) so I could get out from the back, I said it's ok and just rode the elevator up and back down.

I don't want to go too far off the deep end, I'm hoping this doesn't get removed, but if I can't complain on this board where can I? And I guess that's what really is making me mad. These people are making all these comments and never get removed? Where can I complain about all the rude people? So many comments are about walkers and wheelchairs blocking the hallways - REALLY? Are you kidding me - I'll tell you what is blocking the hallways - the service carts. I had the hardest time getting to my cabin with my walker when the carts were in the hallways and there were there a great amount of time. Not to mention how I fell getting into my cabin the first time as I didn't even realize the walker did not fit.

So just wondering is all this negativity is on all the cruise lines? This walker thing is new to me (I've been using a cane for much longer), I just keep trecking and "try" to not let people bother me. I'm trying to learn to not care what other people think when they see me walking ok, because I'm actually having a good day. Any suggestions? I'm cruising again in a week (on Princess) and just a little sick to my stomache from reading all this negativity.

Any good comments or retorts out there? I've just never been quick on the fly responding to negative people. What do I say to the person who judeges me and says "what happened - did you hurt yourself?" Which makes no sense to even begin with because we all know the ship doesn't stock bright red walkers with seats for everyone. But honestly I was asked that question way too many times on the last cruise.

Sincerely,

Tammy

yeah!!

Also, I should address the issue of wheelchairs and carts being parked in the corridors as I think that the OP may not understand that this is a real safety problem for those disabled people that cannot walk at all. When a scooter or wheelchair is left in the corridor other people in chairs cannot go around them to get to or from their cabins. We have had to have staff wake people up at night to move their scooters so that we could get back to our cabin. If a scooter were left out at night and there were an alarm sounded my son would not be able to get out....serious issue in an emergency. The carts can sometimes be an issue also but usually a crew member is always nearby and ready to move them.....not so with the scooters. On our last few cruises I haven't seen this problem so I think the cruise lines aren't allowing it anymore.

Thanks fairbourne,

I've lurked on the Service dogs thread some since I learned that there are mobility dogs. I never fail to be amazed at what dogs can do. Perhaps the day will come that I will need a service dog, perhaps not, but it is comforting to know that they are there should the need arise.

Happy Cruising,

NYNC

Archived