OK, I'm fed up!

sprinkles

Hi ozgeordielass~

You have wonderful things to Celebrate on this cruise ! Your husband is well enough to cruise now and your daughter is in remission.

I think that you will find that the things you are reading on this thread is not the Norm but more of just a place for us to vent ! Sometimes we just need that. As for any of the negatives I experienced I had some positives, especially from younger people.

You will find that the good in people does come out. I had other nice experiences too ~ I was buzzing down the pier on my scooter trying to beat the rain and I lost my Visor. Two teenage boys ran back and got it and brought it to me no one told them too they just did it out of kindness. I thanked them very much for their help and told their parents they were great kids !!

Honestly, I think the most difficult thing for we handicapped folks on a cruise ship is getting on an elevator ~one tip that has helped me is, Try to leave a little earlier for dinner or where ever ,Even if you want to go DOWN and the Elevator is going UP if there is room get on it and ride it, that really helped us.

If leaving the ship wait at least an hour after the ship docks and let all those on tours get gone~ We had the elevators to ourselves then.

You go and have a wonderful time and just remember this is place to hear all the positives as well as the negatives. You can come back and tell us what a wonderful time the 3 of you had on your cruise !

Hi ozgeordielass -

My DH also goes into the "coughing fit" thing (can be brought on by food, etc. with the use of the oxygen). The staff on the vessels we have sailed have been WONDERFUL about getting us closer to an exit, near a wall/window area - basically - a bit "out of the way", etc.

I'm sure if you discuss your request with the Special Needs department prior to cruising and then confirm once aboard, the staff and crew will welcome you and assist you all in making a memorable and enjoyable cruise for your family!

Happy Cruising!

Heidi

Speeking of elevators, we too try to use them during a slow time, but mostly we find which ones are the least used. Some ships have banks of elevators that have some facing outward and some facing inward. After the first day we know whether to use the inward or outward ones. Also for some reason the port side will have a different usage than the starbord.

It is kind of fun finding our own "secret" elevator.

I think the problem lies with some mobility challenged people thinking that they should never have to wait and that they are entitled above all others to whatever space they want to be in. Some never stop to consider that some people have hidden disabilities.

A few years ago (not on a cruise) I had been waiting for an elevator at a hotel for several minutes. Just as the doors opened, a lady on a scooter came speeding up and then had the nerve to tell me that "she needed the elevator and was entitled to it because she was on a scooter." Well, excuse me, but I was not only there first but my room was on the 6th floor and I can't climb six flights of stairs due to asthma! She was loud and obnoxious and insistent that because she was "handicapped" that she should get priority. Never mind that I had been waiting for awhile and also needed the elevator. There wasn't room for both of us to get on.

I got on and wasn't going to get off. There was absolutely no reason that she couldn't wait like I had.

People like her are the ones that ruin it for everyone else. Had she told me she wasn't feeling well or something along those lines, I would have gladly let her on first and waited for the next car. But she was nasty and there was no reason for her to treat me like that. I realize and accept that not all people with disabilities will be like that, but it can sure be hard to do when you encounter someone who thinks that the world revolves around them.

PS--The ones who really chaffe my goat are the ones who walk onto an airplane like they are on deaths door in order to pre-board and get all the overhead space they want, then practically sprint off the plane after we land. Karma will catch up to them eventually.

I think the problem lies with some mobility challenged people thinking that they should never have to wait and that they are entitled above all others to whatever space they want to be in. Some never stop to consider that some people have hidden disabilities.

A few years ago (not on a cruise) I had been waiting for an elevator at a hotel for several minutes. Just as the doors opened, a lady on a scooter came speeding up and then had the nerve to tell me that "she needed the elevator and was entitled to it because she was on a scooter." Well, excuse me, but I was not only there first but my room was on the 6th floor and I can't climb six flights of stairs due to asthma! She was loud and obnoxious and insistent that because she was "handicapped" that she should get priority. Never mind that I had been waiting for awhile and also needed the elevator. There wasn't room for both of us to get on.

I got on and wasn't going to get off. There was absolutely no reason that she couldn't wait like I had.

People like her are the ones that ruin it for everyone else. Had she told me she wasn't feeling well or something along those lines, I would have gladly let her on first and waited for the next car. But she was nasty and there was no reason for her to treat me like that. I realize and accept that not all people with disabilities will be like that, but it can sure be hard to do when you encounter someone who thinks that the world revolves around them.

PS--The ones who really chaffe my goat are the ones who walk onto an airplane like they are on deaths door in order to pre-board and get all the overhead space they want, then practically sprint off the plane after we land. Karma will catch up to them eventually.

I am sorry you had the experience you did. You are correct , RUDE people make it difficult for EVERYBODY. No-one needs to act like they are above anyone else. Unfortunately, disabled people do sometimes require different treatment depending on the circumstances. So many people are afraid to politely point things out. I'm afraid I would have had a hard time at least not mentioning my asthma , inability to walk 6 flights and that I was there first. Might not have helped against the idiot who obviously wears her handicap as a badge of privilege , but it would have made me feel better . It also helps to make others aware that not all disabilities are seen. Hope you enjoy your future cruising.

Handicapped or not there are always people who are rude and feel entitled. Having to use a cane was hard, but using that wheelchair and now a swcooter for the first time was a real mental shakeup. An able bodied person will never be able to understand it. It does not change who you are, but unfortunately how others deal with you.

The lady that you ran into was probably like that before the disability also. On a recent trip to NYC I had kids who were jumping over the wheels of my scooter to get in front of me and people that would look at me and just stand in the crosswalk until I said "Excuse Me", but then I had others who would move aside and let me up on the curb right away. I made sure to always say "Thank you!"

The trip was a mjor lesson for me in not letting people ruin my trip. I ignore the bad ones (not as easy for my husband) and concentrate on the good ones. We actually had a lady who saw us having a hard time getting a cab (my scooter will fold into the trunk of a cab, but how can you tell them if they don't stop!) She had her cab pull over and she let us in and caught another cab! WOW!! Now I try to concentrate on that and ignore the other idoits. Btw, we did figure out that finding the nearest hotel and catching a cab there was much easier!

I am sorry you had the experience you did. You are correct , RUDE people make it difficult for EVERYBODY. No-one needs to act like they are above anyone else. Unfortunately, disabled people do sometimes require different treatment depending on the circumstances. So many people are afraid to politely point things out. I'm afraid I would have had a hard time at least not mentioning my asthma , inability to walk 6 flights and that I was there first. Might not have helped against the idiot who obviously wears her handicap as a badge of privilege , but it would have made me feel better . It also helps to make others aware that not all disabilities are seen. Hope you enjoy your future cruising.

I wasn't about to waste my breath on her. I didn't feel that I needed to explain myself. I was there first, and there was no reason she couldn't wait for the next elevator to arrive. It wasn't like she was on oxygen and nearing the end of the tank. Her biggest disability was in her head--she felt she was entitled.

BTW--even if I didn't have asthma, I wasn't going to climb six flights of stairs and get all sweaty in my business suit. No one should be expected to do so.

Handicapped or not there are always people who are rude and feel entitled. Having to use a cane was hard, but using that wheelchair and now a swcooter for the first time was a real mental shakeup. An able bodied person will never be able to understand it. It does not change who you are, but unfortunately how others deal with you.

I spent six months in a wheelchair after surgery to remove a tumor from my spine. I could walk some, but not long distances.

The lady that you ran into was probably like that before the disability also. On a recent trip to NYC I had kids who were jumping over the wheels of my scooter to get in front of me and people that would look at me and just stand in the crosswalk until I said "Excuse Me", but then I had others who would move aside and let me up on the curb right away. I made sure to always say "Thank you!"

It's not just getting out of the curb cuts, but also holding doors or helping push someone in a manual chair up a steep incline. It's just the right thing to do.

The trip was a mjor lesson for me in not letting people ruin my trip. I ignore the bad ones (not as easy for my husband) and concentrate on the good ones. We actually had a lady who saw us having a hard time getting a cab (my scooter will fold into the trunk of a cab, but how can you tell them if they don't stop!) She had her cab pull over and she let us in and caught another cab! WOW!! Now I try to concentrate on that and ignore the other idoits. Btw, we did figure out that finding the nearest hotel and catching a cab there was much easier!

What a nice woman! I agree, it's well worth handing the doorman $2 for him to hail a cab for you in a place like NYC.

Thanks all, for the kind stories and encouragement - especially that article - totally awesome. As someone else said, sometimes we just need to vent. Sorry if this started some kind of debate - I guess that's what some of the problem is - even between "handicapped" people we can often judge each other. Especially with hidden ailments.

Like I said earlier - my conidtion changes from moment to moment. I may be one of those people you see get on a plane first looking like "death". I may be looking like death because of the strain that getting through the airport has put on me. I have started getting on the plane first because of my social issues with crowds (post brain surgery - I am SEVERLY sensitive to sounds and crowds - I still wear earplugs often in public - often I have to wear an ipod to listen to music in the dining rooms if they are too loud). But back to what I was saying, I may look like death and barely be moving getting on the plane, but after a four hour flight of rest and possibly sleep I "may" be walking well again (for awhile or as long as my M.S. allows me to - could be an hour could be 5 minutes). I also get on the plane first so I can sit down (as I cannot stand for long) and I am safe from someone potentially hitting me in the head (that still hurts and is very sensitive to this day). But again none of that is anything that anyone can SEE!

The bottom line is - I will keep going. Thanks for letting me vent, sorry if I have started something negative (still haven't had anybody answer if they think the attitudes are getting worse on the "regular" boards or not).

Katisdale I wish you all the best in your recovery and please have an awesome cruise. I also agree with you, that European Explorer cruise was one of our favorites.

I won't be posting anymore as we are trying to get ready to pack, and just found out that DH is a victim of identidy theft and have been dealing with that since last night - so I am definately "OUT OF SPOONS" - LOL (ok trying to laugh).

Happy Sailing Everybody!

Tammy

Hi ozgeordielass~

You have wonderful things to Celebrate on this cruise ! Your husband is well enough to cruise now and your daughter is in remission.

I think that you will find that the things you are reading on this thread is not the Norm but more of just a place for us to vent ! Sometimes we just need that. As for any of the negatives I experienced I had some positives, especially from younger people.

You will find that the good in people does come out. I had other nice experiences too ~ I was buzzing down the pier on my scooter trying to beat the rain and I lost my Visor. Two teenage boys ran back and got it and brought it to me no one told them too they just did it out of kindness. I thanked them very much for their help and told their parents they were great kids !!

Honestly, I think the most difficult thing for we handicapped folks on a cruise ship is getting on an elevator ~one tip that has helped me is, Try to leave a little earlier for dinner or where ever ,Even if you want to go DOWN and the Elevator is going UP if there is room get on it and ride it, that really helped us.

If leaving the ship wait at least an hour after the ship docks and let all those on tours get gone~ We had the elevators to ourselves then.

You go and have a wonderful time and just remember this is place to hear all the positives as well as the negatives. You can come back and tell us what a wonderful time the 3 of you had on your cruise !

Hi ozgeordielass -

My DH also goes into the "coughing fit" thing (can be brought on by food, etc. with the use of the oxygen). The staff on the vessels we have sailed have been WONDERFUL about getting us closer to an exit, near a wall/window area - basically - a bit "out of the way", etc.

I'm sure if you discuss your request with the Special Needs department prior to cruising and then confirm once aboard, the staff and crew will welcome you and assist you all in making a memorable and enjoyable cruise for your family!

Happy Cruising!

Heidi

Thank you, I will feel better when we are on board and I was planning to go to the MDR to talk about the seating and request to be near the entrance. I was out this morning with my husband and his carer as I have just came out of hospital after being rushed in last Thursday, we were parking in a disabled parking spot when a car pulled in to the next one and a guy hopped out and rushed to the lift.

The carer said she hates that when someone is not in a wheelchair using the disable parks but I said to her we don't know what is wrong with him, he may not be in a wheelchair but he may have an invisable illness. I use the spoons as I have health problems myself. The old saying goes......You never judge a book by it's cover.

Thank you all for your comments, we all learn from them.

Hi ozgeordielass -

Happy Cruising!

Heidi

Thank you, I will feel better when we are on board and I was planning to go to the MDR to talk about the seating and request to be near the entrance. I was out this morning with my husband and his carer as I have just came out of hospital after being rushed in last Thursday, we were parking in a disabled parking spot when a car pulled in to the next one and a guy hopped out and rushed to the lift.

The carer said she hates that when someone is not in a wheelchair using the disable parks but I said to her we don't know what is wrong with him, he may not be in a wheelchair but he may have an invisable illness. I use the spoons as I have health problems myself. The old saying goes......You never judge a book by it's cover.

Thank you all for your comments, we all learn from them.

Thank you for being aware of the invisible handicaps.

My son catches a lot of adverse and rude comments when he parks in a disabled parking spot. He is in his thirties and he looks fit. He walks without a limp and does not use a stick. However, he has an above-knee amputation of his right leg and cannot walk long distances.

He has had to grow a thick skin and often lifts his trouser leg to reveal the metal leg - I think he has begun to enjoy shocking people, especially if they are rude about him! :D

Thank you for being aware of the invisible handicaps.

My son catches a lot of adverse and rude comments when he parks in a disabled parking spot. He is in his thirties and he looks fit. He walks without a limp and does not use a stick. However, he has an above-knee amputation of his right leg and cannot walk long distances.

He has had to grow a thick skin and often lifts his trouser leg to reveal the metal leg - I think he has begun to enjoy shocking people, especially if they are rude about him! :D

Good on him, I would love to see their faces.

I have had nasty looks when I am parked in the handicapped car space ...as I sometimes leave hubby having a coffee while I go and pack our shopping in the car so they don't see my husband in the wheelchair, I never explain unless they comment.

Like I said earlier - my conidtion changes from moment to moment. I may be one of those people you see get on a plane first looking like "death". I may be looking like death because of the strain that getting through the airport has put on me. I have started getting on the plane first because of my social issues with crowds (post brain surgery - I am SEVERLY sensitive to sounds and crowds - I still wear earplugs often in public - often I have to wear an ipod to listen to music in the dining rooms if they are too loud). But back to what I was saying, I may look like death and barely be moving getting on the plane, but after a four hour flight of rest and possibly sleep I "may" be walking well again (for awhile or as long as my M.S. allows me to - could be an hour could be 5 minutes). I also get on the plane first so I can sit down (as I cannot stand for long) and I am safe from someone potentially hitting me in the head (that still hurts and is very sensitive to this day). But again none of that is anything that anyone can SEE!

However you aren't pushing people aside and running off the airplane as soon as it reaches the gate. You aren't the person who needed a wheelchair to get onto the plane and is now the one doing the "OJ sprint" with their American Tourister through the terminal. I've seen this, and I'm not buying that they suddenly had a miraculous recovery. Big difference over someone who pre-boarded and then got off walking more steadily.

I wasn't about to waste my breath on her. I didn't feel that I needed to explain myself. I was there first, and there was no reason she couldn't wait for the next elevator to arrive. It wasn't like she was on oxygen and nearing the end of the tank. Her biggest disability was in her head--she felt she was entitled.

BTW--even if I didn't have asthma, I wasn't going to climb six flights of stairs and get all sweaty in my business suit. No one should be expected to do so.

That is your choice, but personally I find it more of a waste of breath (time) for anyone to complain on a public board instead of facing the offender. I'm not talking about making a scene but I think rude people are rude because no-one has held them accountable or they are not aware of the situation .

Nope, you don't need to explain yourself, and apparently the offender didn't feel the need either. Nor did she feel she should be expected to wait for the next elevator . JMHO

Hope your future elevator experiences are better.

That is your choice, but personally I find it more of a waste of breath (time) for anyone to complain on a public board instead of facing the offender. I'm not talking about making a scene but I think rude people are rude because no-one has held them accountable or they are not aware of the situation .

Nope, you don't need to explain yourself, and apparently the offender didn't feel the need either. Nor did she feel she should be expected to wait for the next elevator . JMHO

Hope your future elevator experiences are better.

She knew that she wasn't going to win when I wouldn't get off the elevator for her, I didn't feel the need to explain myself. People that rude are also too dense to understand that they are that rude, so it would have been a waste of my time as well as the time of everyone else on that elevator.

I try not let comments get to me. DS is wheelchir-bound. I have my own mobility issues since a stroke a few years ago. To appearances, I look like a healthy overweight almost-50 year old. Short level distances, I can walk. Longer distances require a cane. And I may have to start using a rollator, since my knees are starting to go.

Rude, inconsiderate people come in all shapes, sizes, and abilities. I've found that a smile and a little nod goes a long way, but sometimes people are bound and determined to be an @sshole. I see abled cruisers who go around all day with a scowl on their face and I've seen disabled cruisers with the same expression. Maybe they don't realize that their facee is their billboard to the world. Karma is a powerfull concept and often you'll get back ten times what you project.

The Golden Rule is the best rule.

I am a full time wheelchair user who loves to cruise. I do not let it get me down one bit. I am always smiling, saying hello , good morning. It amazes me to see people handicapped or not who are pissed all the time. You are on a cruise and you are pissed, lighten up enjoy your life. Elevators on board ship can be a test to anyone, I usually wait until there is a elevator with enough room, but if people go right passed me or push me out of the way, I am sorry, I may be in a chair, but I can be a bull dozer if I need to be. Also you need to just get on whatever elevator door is open, take it for a ride up or down at least you are on it.

There seems to be plenty of us with polio and/or PPS on the board today.

I look kind of normal in the morning but by noon the limp is very obvious. By 3 PM I'm in my power chair whether or not I have my braces on.

I've only been on two cruises but have never had a bad experience. I always use my power chair on the ship as I couldn't make it to the elevators without it.

Around our home it's easier as everything is familiar.

If you have a scooter or a power chair use it ALL the time on your cruise. You never know when someone will bump into you and you will fall. It's better to just use the chair all the time.

Rick

1953 Shriners Poster Child

Facilitator

San Diego Polio Survivors

Leaving on April 6th for 30 days!

I am a full time wheelchair user who loves to cruise. I do not let it get me down one bit. I am always smiling, saying hello , good morning. It amazes me to see people handicapped or not who are pissed all the time. You are on a cruise and you are pissed, lighten up enjoy your life. Elevators on board ship can be a test to anyone, I usually wait until there is a elevator with enough room, but if people go right passed me or push me out of the way, I am sorry, I may be in a chair, but I can be a bull dozer if I need to be. Also you need to just get on whatever elevator door is open, take it for a ride up or down at least you are on it.

If you were there first of course you should get on first. Maybe they need to use stantions to form queues at busy times so it's fair for everyone.

There seems to be plenty of us with polio and/or PPS on the board today.

I look kind of normal in the morning but by noon the limp is very obvious. By 3 PM I'm in my power chair whether or not I have my braces on.

I've only been on two cruises but have never had a bad experience. I always use my power chair on the ship as I couldn't make it to the elevators without it.

Around our home it's easier as everything is familiar.

If you have a scooter or a power chair use it ALL the time on your cruise. You never know when someone will bump into you and you will fall. It's better to just use the chair all the time.

Rick

1953 Shriners Poster Child

Facilitator

San Diego Polio Survivors

Leaving on April 6th for 30 days!

Interesting that you were the Shriners poster child as that organization was big in helping my family. They took us to the circus and camp.

It's fair to say that whenever there are disabled related topics on the main forums (like the Cunard & P&O ban on scooters unless you have a HC cabin or a suite), it doesn't take long for the armchair medics to start pontificating.

Some of them can clearly diagnose strangers swinging the lead from a great distance, accurately and with great confidence in a fashion that no professional doctor could ever manage. It's all just a ruse to get on the plane first or a sign of weakness in people too idle or fat to walk around normally.

I'm guessing that the complainants are the same sort of person who jumps the queue for the lifts or mumbles discontent about being moved from the front seat of the tour bus to make way for someone who is just about able to haul himself up the steps. The last time I witnessed this behaviour the gentleman who got the reserved seat had recently had a double amputation and was breaking in his new legs. Apparently, this qualified him as fully able bodied in the mind of the loud mouthed woman who wanted to be able to get the best photos through the front window.

By the same token, sadly there are one or two of the scooter and power chair fraternity who do themselves (and the rest of us) no favours. One genius was on a crusade to wind forum members up, claiming that if ever folks don't clear out of the way he just runs them over.

Ignore both of these forms of stupidity and bigotry. Just appreciate the help (and the more than frequent smiles) that you get from most people and be confident that you are doing your own little bit to make the world a more pleasant place.

I'm deaf. You should see the looks I get when I sit at the front of the tour bus so I can lipread the tour guide. "Luckily" I can't hear what people say when they see someone with no visible disability in the "handicapped" seats. If I sit too far back I have not the faintest idea of what's being said.

Yes I was in the Shriners Hospital for a total of 4 and half years by the time I was 16 years old. They operated 12 times.

They were so good to those of us in the hospital. I was in the Los Angeles Unit with was very near Hollywood. There was an endless stream of movie stars dropping by to visit. My favorite was Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. Met them many times.

Here is an old poster child photo:

1951705810_Rickposter.jpg.4cbf1988cbc48a2468ddee29ce3ab7cc.jpg

Yes I was in the Shriners Hospital for a total of 4 and half years by the time I was 16 years old. They operated 12 times.

They were so good to those of us in the hospital. I was in the Los Angeles Unit with was very near Hollywood. There was an endless stream of movie stars dropping by to visit. My favorite was Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. Met them many times.

Here is an old poster child photo:

Thanks for sharing the picture. I was in the Detroit Area. I was lucky and only had to be in the hospital for 11 months. I also had many surgeries. I had around 9 by the time I was 11.

Archived