Aft Penthouse question - is this typical?

HOTROD1

We were in an aft penthouse (9732) on Dawn at Christmas. 3 different nights the cabin would shudder enough to wake me up. Is that to be expected in an aft cabin? This was our first time with this type of cabin.

Thank you in advance. I'm ready book my next cruise!

Yes, it depends alot on what kind of manuevering and how fast they are traveling. We had the same problem in AK between Ketchikan and Victoria on the Pearl. We were at full throttle and they were making small adjustments to the course by turning one of the pods and not the other - I know as I was watching the wake during the shuddering. When the pods were aligned the shuddering went away. There was also less of it when traveling a slower speeds. I am not sure how far forward you would feel it or if it affects the entire ship.

We've had this same experience on two different NCL ships. When changing speed, backing or maneuvering we would get enough shudder to wake us up and during the day, would make the glasses and loose things rattle.

Never experienced it from mid ship forward.

We love our aft cabins and have never noticed anything but total scerenity. However, on our most recent cruise on the Star we were in Aft Penthouse 9232. The last morning as we were pulling into NYC, I was awakened earlier than usual with the sounds as OP described. We had only ported in Bermuda so this was the only time we noticed this.

Archived