Victory Review 12/16/2012 w/lots of pics

Dirkgun

Do you remember the names of your waiters?

The one on the left - Joseph and the one on the right - Larry?

If so, I had Joseph on the Splendor and Larry on the Ecstasy. If it's not them, they sure coulda fooled me.

I actually just checked my notes and the Head waiter's name was Romeo

Wed Dec 19th; Barbados: Today we had scheduled with a lady to drive us around, to Payne’s Bay for a swim with the turtles and then to the wildlife refuge.….the problem is we had arranged to meet her at 9:00 am and I went and looked around in the terminal as well as outside where the other drivers wait for people. I could not find her anywhere; I even had some other drivers try to find her, after looking around for about 30 min we gave up. We ended up going with a Guy named Dwight (I have his info if anyone wants it) and he was awesome. He took us and dropped us off at Payne’s Bay and hooked us up with a guy that got us a boat to take us out to the Sea Turtles. We swam and snorkeled with the turtles for about an hour and a half (cost $15 per person) took some great pictures and just had a great experience. Our guides were very good at feeding the turtles in such a way as to bring them in close but not when the other tour boats were around. He would have us move to the other side of the boat so we would not battle the other groups there. Payne’s Bay is a great beach it is very gentle and beautiful water with all kinds of things to do (water craft rentals, bars, water toys etc).

IMG_0718_zps13736ce9.jpg

IMG_0225_zpscec05a89.jpg

DSCF1632_zpsf64731e4.jpg

The boys having some fun posing on the beach...

DSCF0139_zps2b1a7780.jpg

This is the boat we went out on.....

DSCF1602_zps86cb6d14.jpg

Getting the GoPro in action....

DSCF1583_zps7744eec0.jpg

The turtle food....

Next some turtle pics....

Swimming with the turtles is an awesome experience..... if you get the chance to try it, do it.

DSCF1626_zps269efea1.jpg

DSCF1599_zps6c6e80d2.jpg

DSCF1591_zps4020fddb.jpg

DSCF0114_zps5700cd9f.jpg

DSCF0106_zps06c85df8.jpg

DSCF0101_zps45856ba8.jpg

They are just so majestic how they glide through the water. They are curious and will come up to you if you don't act threatening.... just a neat experience.

Like I said before... you really could stay at Payne's bay and have a great day....We however had other plans…. Dwight was picking us up to take us back to the Victory to change and get lunch, then back out to the Wildlife Preserve. The preserve is a place that is kind of like a zoo except not many cages other than for a few big snakes and some really cool birds. They have a bunch of Tortoises along with some kind of deer and what looks like a cross between a rabbit and a guinea pig, as well as some chickens.

IMG_0679_zpsa61e3e86.jpg

IMG_0583_zpsce873682.jpg

If anyone knows what this hybrid thing is... please enlighten me. Lol

IMG_0567_zps7cf83aa7.jpg

IMG_0413_zpscacf7d25.jpg

IMG_0335_zpsd0dc57d9.jpg

IMG_0342-1_zps44874817.jpg

The Refuge has a nice little path to walk through the park, so you can walk a lot or just go straight to the area you want. It is quite pretty and shaded (it feels nice sometimes to get out of the sun)

The stars of the show however are the wild band of Barbados Green monkeys that are free to leave the park anytime. The key to the preserve is the timing. My wife had read that they feed the animals around 2pm so we made sure to be there about 1:30pm and it is a very cool little nature trail to explore. Man oh man when they fed the animals….. it was like Noah’s ark gone wild. The deer, chickens and tortoises all headed in but the first ones there picking out the bananas and the other more desirable food was the Monkeys. They were hilarious chasing each other around the ground and trees showing off their agility and acrobatic abilities. I even saw one come up and bi#ch slap a deer that had the audacity to eat a banana piece. It is a place that does not get a ton of the cruise ship tourists but it is well worth the time.

It is like Dr Dolittle gone wild.... this monkey had just slapped that deer right in the mouth Lol it was funny to hear him squeal at the deer also.

IMG_0627_zps614a42a9.jpg

IMG_0638_zps0a7dd66c.jpg

IMG_0658_zpsb6081889.jpg

DSC00848_zps14dda654.jpg

IMG_0645_zps726eeb12.jpg

DSC00810_zps33b314ec.jpg

Edited by Dirkgun

After our time there Dwight took us back to the ship, all the while indulging our questions about the island and life there and of course volunteering any pertinent info. He was a very good guide. All this service from him for $30 per person plus the tip we gave him. Once we got back to the cruise terminal we went to the Coconuts bar and grill and had some refreshments, I think the highlight of the food was their Flying Fish Fingers (they were very good). Overall a Great day in Barbados (sensing a trend here):D.

After a long day some of us were tired....

IMG_0702_zps8ca077c8.jpg

The last time we were in Barbados my wife found this lady in the cruise terminal shops that does flower arrangements. She does great work so we again bought some flowers for the rooms from her. I just wish we could have taken them off the ship through customs. (we ended up giving them to our female assistant waitress)

IMG_0713_zps7e798d2f.jpg

IMG_0705_zpsb9fbf098.jpg

Here we are at Coconuts Bar and Grill at the terminal. Their flying Fish Fingers were very good. :D

IMG_0707_zps65d4a362.jpg

Edited by Dirkgun

The Steel Drum band that is there on the docks at Barbados..... both welcoming and saying farewell to us. We had a great day today.

DSC00947_zps723500f3.jpg

The view of the crew on the bridge, from our balcony, as they pulled out of the Bridgetown port.

DSC00957_zps74dd380b.jpg

This Yacht "The Serene" was in port by us.... WOW is it a nice little dingy. It would be nice to have that for your private transportation.....

IMG_0725_zpsc57dacbc.jpg

Out of the harbor getting ready to sail.

IMG_0741_zps92449119.jpg

IMG_0738_zpse96ef742.jpg

IMG_0749_zpsdea32a5c.jpg

I love sunsets while on the ship....

Can you tell me if Heineken is served on the victory? Only beer I care for..

Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy 3S

Yes I believe they do... In fact I just googled a bar menu and they do in fact have Heineken for $4.95 I thought I saw some on board but wanted to make sure.

Can't wait to read the rest of your review! This cruise is on my wish list. DH and I are thinking of doing it next year and going a little early to explore San Juan also.

Thanks, When you do this itinerary... definitely do spend some extra time in San Juan it is so worth it. I will keep posting for sure. Sometimes the hardest part is deciding on photos and getting them all uploaded.... but it is fun to look through all the pictures again. :D

Loving your review! Thanks for taking the time to write another one!!! Did you by any chance keep your fun times? If you did, would you look on the Sea Day one (Tuesday) and see if/when they are offering the wine pairing class? We're sailing on the Valor in March and hoping to fit that into our schedule.

Thanks a bunch! Cant' wait to read the rest of your review and see your pictures!

Sue

Loving your review! Thanks for taking the time to write another one!!! Did you by any chance keep your fun times? If you did, would you look on the Sea Day one (Tuesday) and see if/when they are offering the wine pairing class? We're sailing on the Valor in March and hoping to fit that into our schedule.

Thanks a bunch! Cant' wait to read the rest of your review and see your pictures!

Sue

I am pretty sure we kept them and I will look it up and post on here for you.

Loving your review! Hey, got a question about the flying fish sandwiches. I've read a lot about those on here. Are they a thick white flesh (similar to a grouper sandwich) or are they a flat fish sandwich similar to catfish. I actually like the thicker grouper-like fish.

We'll be down there at the end of March/first of April on the Valor. Can't wait to read/see more!!:D

Loving your review! Hey, got a question about the flying fish sandwiches. I've read a lot about those on here. Are they a thick white flesh (similar to a grouper sandwich) or are they a flat fish sandwich similar to catfish. I actually like the thicker grouper-like fish.

We'll be down there at the end of March/first of April on the Valor. Can't wait to read/see more!!:D

We actually ate Flying Fish Fingers.... which were just kind loke chicken fingers, just strips of fish fried in a crispy batter. They were definitely a white fish. To me they tasted like halibut ony a little lighter. I will try to find a picture of some.

Great review!

How much was it to get into the wildlife preserve? Was it pretty close to the cruise port?

It was $12 for adults to get in the Wildlife preserve. They feed the animals at around 2 pm so you should be there by 1:00 or 1:30 (definitely worth it) I think it was around 20 to 30 min from the port By taxi.

Here is a picture of one of the fingers... so not as white as I thought but very light tasting.

IMG_0709_zpsb711b7c8.jpg

we did this same ship and itinerary in November 2012 and L-O-V-E-D it! My favorite island was St. Kitts, my DD's was watching the planes land on St. Maarten. I would do this itinerary again in a heartbeat! We had gorgeous weather every day, too. Beautiful islands!!

we did this same ship and itinerary in November 2012 and L-O-V-E-D it! My favorite island was St. Kitts, my DD's was watching the planes land on St. Maarten. I would do this itinerary again in a heartbeat! We had gorgeous weather every day, too. Beautiful islands!!

Yeah I remember your review. Yes I could sail that route over and over also.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Sue

I do have the "Fun Times" and on the sea day they offer the Wine Seminar at 1:00 pm ... on the Victory it was in the Atlantic Dining room FWD (not sure where on the Valor) probably the same kind of location on Valor. I hope that helps.:D

I do have the "Fun Times" and on the sea day they offer the Wine Seminar at 1:00 pm ... on the Victory it was in the Atlantic Dining room FWD (not sure where on the Valor) probably the same kind of location on Valor. I hope that helps.:D

Thank you so much for checking! Really appreciate it!

Sue