Which Southern Caribbean Itinerary?

roothy123

We cannot decide between two itineraries in late Feb./early March. They are:

1) Cruising from San Juan, stopping at St. Croix, Basseterre, Roseau, St George, and Charlotte Amalie.

2) Cruising from San Juan, stopping at Bridgetown, Castries, St. John's (Antigua),Philipsburg, and Charlotte Amalie.

We prefer sightseeing to lying on the beach, watersports and shopping; the more exotic and less touristy, the better, and like places where we can "do it yourself." We love beautiful scenery (photography is a big hobby) and love to get out into the countryside if there's anything nice to see.

Are Castries and the island of St. Lucia beautiful, or smelly? I've heard both.

We have been to St. John's, but none of the other locations. We've cruised parts of the Caribbean (and Europe) before, but never on Celebrity.

Is the weather in the southern Caribbean OK in late Feb. or early March? We once flew to Curacao (loved it) and it rained almost the whole time. Now I ask before I go - although I realize nobody has a crystal ball!

Any opinions are welcome. Thanks.

Basseterre on St. Kitts is a pretty town, must have survived all fires, hurricanes and earthquakes. There is a modern shopping area at the pier and the town starts behind the historic customs building. We loved our tour offered by the ship:

http://www.gregsafaris.com/tours.asp We did the "off the beaten path tour".

I have always wanted to go to Roseau on Dominica, so I would definitely take that cruise.

St. Lucia's Castries has an interesting market with a local and a tourist stuff section. Forget people who say that something is smelly. They should go to sanitized shopping areas built for them. Castries has survived many a disaster. It is not a pretty town, definitely see the interior of the downtown cathedral if you are there. The prettiest area with the Pitons and the volcano is, however, at the other end of the island.

St.George's on Grenada? Nice tropical island, where nutmeg comes from. Interesting town. Go to the Carenage port on the other side of the tunnel.

Basseterre on St. Kitts is a pretty town, must have survived all fires, hurricanes and earthquakes. There is a modern shopping area at the pier and the town starts behind the historic customs building. We loved our tour offered by the ship:

http://www.gregsafaris.com/tours.asp We did the "off the beaten path tour".

I have always wanted to go to Roseau on Dominica, so I would definitely take that cruise.

St. Lucia's Castries has an interesting market with a local and a tourist stuff section. Forget people who say that something is smelly. They should go to sanitized shopping areas built for them. Castries has survived many a disaster. It is not a pretty town, definitely see the interior of the downtown cathedral if you are there. The prettiest area with the Pitons and the volcano is, however, at the other end of the island.

St.George's on Grenada? Nice tropical island, where nutmeg comes from. Interesting town. Go to the Carenage port on the other side of the tunnel.

Thanks. Yes, I generally ignore people who say something is smelly, but I WAS curious. Someone told me it smelled of burning rubber! Another person told me that one city I'd love to visit (Venice) was smelly as well! Oh well, you're right, if you want sanitized areas, why bother to travel?

We cannot decide between two itineraries in late Feb./early March. They are:

1) Cruising from San Juan, stopping at St. Croix, Basseterre, Roseau, St George, and Charlotte Amalie.

2) Cruising from San Juan, stopping at Bridgetown, Castries, St. John's (Antigua),Philipsburg, and Charlotte Amalie.

We prefer sightseeing to lying on the beach, watersports and shopping; the more exotic and less touristy, the better, and like places where we can "do it yourself." We love beautiful scenery (photography is a big hobby) and love to get out into the countryside if there's anything nice to see.

Are Castries and the island of St. Lucia beautiful, or smelly? I've heard both.

We have been to St. John's, but none of the other locations. We've cruised parts of the Caribbean (and Europe) before, but never on Celebrity.

Is the weather in the southern Caribbean OK in late Feb. or early March? We once flew to Curacao (loved it) and it rained almost the whole time. Now I ask before I go - although I realize nobody has a crystal ball!

Any opinions are welcome. Thanks.

February is a gorgeous time of year in the Souhern Caribbean. We have had some rain but never all day and usually just a light rain in the morning, if there is any. Rainiest day we've ever had was in Curacao but rain ended early afternoon - supposedly rare in February

I recommend you go to the Port of Call boards and see what others with similar interests say about each island.

Our very favorite island was Dominica - toured with Bumpiing tours, Titou Gorge, waterfalls, the hot springs and I can't remember what else. Gorgeous island but like most, the port is so-so. One of the best days ever.

Grenada (spice island), St Lucia (the Pitons) and St Kitts (Romney Manor, Brimstone Hill, and monkeys) are beatiful islands. Grenada and St Kitts are easy to find things closer to the port.

Barbados and Antigua have gorgeous beaches.

St Croix only done the beach and private snorkeling excursion to Buck Island.

St Thomas there is a lot to do and it is on both itineraries.

Never been to St Maarten - next month.

We like to see the island, shop the local markets and snorkel/ hit the beach. We also usually book a private excursion the first trip to an island. What I am saying is that our interests are different than yours. We go to the Caribbean in February for the warmth, sand and water but really enjoy learning about the islands.

We have really enjoyed all of these islands, rain forests, beaches, forts. But they are each unique but have lots of similarities. You would probably enjoy either week, equally.

• 6 months later...
February is a gorgeous time of year in the Souhern Caribbean. We have had some rain but never all day and usually just a light rain in the morning, if there is any. Rainiest day we've ever had was in Curacao but rain ended early afternoon - supposedly rare in February

I recommend you go to the Port of Call boards and see what others with similar interests say about each island.

Our very favorite island was Dominica - toured with Bumpiing tours, Titou Gorge, waterfalls, the hot springs and I can't remember what else. Gorgeous island but like most, the port is so-so. One of the best days ever.

Grenada (spice island), St Lucia (the Pitons) and St Kitts (Romney Manor, Brimstone Hill, and monkeys) are beatiful islands. Grenada and St Kitts are easy to find things closer to the port.

Barbados and Antigua have gorgeous beaches.

St Croix only done the beach and private snorkeling excursion to Buck Island.

St Thomas there is a lot to do and it is on both itineraries.

Never been to St Maarten - next month.

We like to see the island, shop the local markets and snorkel/ hit the beach. We also usually book a private excursion the first trip to an island. What I am saying is that our interests are different than yours. We go to the Caribbean in February for the warmth, sand and water but really enjoy learning about the islands.

We have really enjoyed all of these islands, rain forests, beaches, forts. But they are each unique but have lots of similarities. You would probably enjoy either week, equally.

In the process to decide cruise with best snorkel, pretty scenery, and interesting towns. Thanks for suggestions. Travel during late Dec.

Late Feb, March is an ideal time to enjoy the southern Carib.

Option 1 -

We've not yet visited ST Croix or St George so cannot comment on them yet.

St Kitt's is a beach destination, you can take a tour but really a beach destination.

Dominica is a beautiful and mountainous island where you can take a taxi tour and see much of the beauty and as part of that hike into the waterfalls and sulfur pits. Definitely a photo op stop if you like natural beauty. And the people are so warm…

St Thomas is a busier port with the most duty free shopping and some decent beaches. We stay at Sapphire Beach on the quieter East End following our stay in the less busy BVI and before flying home, nice beach and the best snorkeling on STT. See below for another option.

Option 2 -

Barbados has some of the nicest beaches you will see, you may enjoy a land tour, we took one and it was nice but if we return we'll head for the beachj or take a daysail. If docked there late in the evening it's great to taxi up the coast and have dinner (flying fish and Banls beer), tyou can see your small ship shimmering in the distance.

St Lucia is a jungly island with lots to photogtraph, taking the land and sea excursion gives you excellent views from the mountains and along the coast.

Antigua is a gorgeous island - we love the Excellence cat sail (Srr Antigua by Sea excursion on the ship). We've also taken a private tour with Lawrence of Antigua which would be perfect for you. He will coordinate an itinerary based on your input.

For St Thomas I would recommend going to St John and taking a short island tour followed by a walk around in Cruz Bay. Very easy self-excursion, just taxi to Red Hook and ferry to Cruz Bay then grab a waiting taxi for a tour, total cost is about $84pp with the St John tour. Or you can walk to trails from the ferry dock and see some of the beautiful west coast.

In the process to decide cruise with best snorkel, pretty scenery, and interesting towns. Thanks for suggestions. Travel during late Dec.

Many of the islands have beautiful beaches, snorkeling is pretty good on the East End of St Thomas, and Old San Juan and Castries would be the most interesting I think, But each port is different in some way and that makes them all interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

IMO - a must see in St Kitts is Brimstone Fortress. Our tour operator of choice is Thenford Grey.

Awesome tour and operator!

I agree on St Lucia-take a land sea tour -Spencer Ambrose or Herrod's

And be sure and leave enough time before and/or after the cruise in San Juan for a tour of Old San Juan and El Morro and San Cristobal

Archived