Large groups taking over cruise - opinion please :)

I've been checking out the Joco Crazy Cruise 3 website, mostly because I would love to join one of their outings someday but I came up with some additional information that might make the OP feel better.

Most of their events will be in the conference centre and they will have a 24/7 gaming room down there so a chuck of the participants will be sleeping by day and gaming by night and you'll never see them.

Their shows will be in the Acadia Theatre and will be scheduled around the ships regular shows. RCCL may decide to move some shows normally scheduled in this venue to other locations, but in general they should be mostly off your radar. Attendance at the ships regular shows should be reduced by a substantial amount as well. Not that they wouldn't enjoy them but they've paid an extra fee above the cost of the cruise in order to see the performers specific to this group so that is likely their first priority.

You may see some oddly costumed people wandering the decks but they are mostly harmless. Oh and if they discover Quest - that would be worth video.

Where can we look to find out of there is a group sailing on a particular cruise? I've googled it, and found a few websites, but they don't list cruises by ships/dates. Does such a resource exist?

We sailed Serenade last year with a very large group of gospel singers.

Honeslty, I found out about the group 3 days in. I was walking past the theatre during the day and heard their music. I would have never known if I didn't bump into them and ask someone what they were doing (nosey!).

Their "group" activites are sectioned off and the public isn't invited. Otherwise, they are regular people on the same vacation as you. I highly doubt you will incure any issues.

Now our upcoming cruise is an Elvis convention. I am really looking forward to this. I think it will be a riot!!

Wow, this JCCC3 thing sounds really awesome! I kinda wish I knew about it sooner... Well, there's always next year, especially if they book a freedom class ship again!:rolleyes:

I can't believe that my partner didnt know about this group

Where can we look to find out of there is a group sailing on a particular cruise? I've googled it, and found a few websites, but they don't list cruises by ships/dates. Does such a resource exist?

I think all you can do is google the ship and cruise date and if there is a large group, sometimes they will have their own webpage with information and to register for the cruise. I was on cruise in November that hosted the IABPFF conference. The only observation I had was that sometimes certain venues were reserved for meetings (like the card room) I'm cruising on Jewel in February and it is the second annual "Huskers" cruise. I've also noticed many other "groups" on other cruises that didn't turn up in a google search. My view is you're just sailing with group of people who will be larger in number and happen to have a common interest, employer or affiliation. The only cruise where the other "guests" impacted my experience in a negative way was a Spring Break cruise. And I did google the US college spring break calendar, but it was after final payment :(

I enjoy meeting people so the benefit of a google search is it could give you an idea of who you'll be sailing with--I've got 6 weeks to brush up on my Nebraska football facts :D

OMG THAT'S THE JOCO CRUISE!!! *Cries*

Yes I am one of those people who's into the things those people are into. Computer geek is not really the term I would use. More video gamers, web comics, internet people and those who like funny cat videos.

I'll have to look at the one in 2014!

Like PAX but at sea!

That sounds awesome. I wish i knew about this. PAX at sea would be so epic.

Edited by knicksak2

We sailed on the Adventure out of San Juan with a group of about 500-600. This was some type of religious group. I'm not sure if it is always like this, but they definitely took over several venues. Even when they weren't scheduled, that many people together definitely do.

Was on the same sailing and can confirm the endless waves of bright orange religious shirts. I was present when they "overthrew" the band on the pool deck and threw their own party. I'll be honest my opinion of the situation is kind of mixed.

That sounds awesome. I wish i knew about this. PAX at sea would be so epic.

There is a PAX like feel to the JoCo cruise, with a bigger focus on the music. Still a lot of gaming though. :)

The good news is that there is almost certainly going to be one next year at about the same time. Given that a group our size requires a large theatre, there are few ships that we can use. This means we will likely be on a Freedom class (or even Oasis class) ship for JCCC4.

Google them, they have a very detailed website that has information from prior cruises. They have a lot of entertainment scheduled for this upcoming cruise. I wouldn't doubt the events will be private though from some of the pictures on their website, they have things by the pools too.

I wouldn't want to sail with a group that large unless I was with the group. Good luck.

Edit to add a question: Why didn't you reschedule in October when you found out about the group?

When we found out, the group was approximately 300 out of the 3600 so I figured, eh no big deal. But now I have heard that they are up to 800 people... thats almost a quarter of the whole ship. They seem nice (http://jococruisecrazy.com/). But they are a huge group!

This group sells a separate entertainment pass for $385 in addition to the cruise fare. They are all on main seating so that it will make it easier for their shows. They also picked Freedom because they needed larger venues so everyone in their group can see the shows.

Looks like they might be a little more intrusive than the plumbers.;):)

Agreed. However, I am hoping since they have so many private shows that it frees up places like the pool deck for other people.

I googled this sailing. It appears it will be a bunch of computer geeks. When it comes to group cruises, I would think they would be quite layed back. Truthfully, I wouldn't worry about this group. Except of course the wifi will be challenged that week with all those geeks and their Mac Books and laptops.

It could be much worse. I was reading recently about a large group of bikers that essentially took over the ship. There would definately be a different vibe on that ship.

I would bet there will be other passengers who will not even notice they are there. I have been on group cruises and was surprised at how well RCL handled the separate entertainment.

Strike up a conversation and you might found out about some new cool computer thing.

:)

Thanks! That is what I am hoping. They are self-defined "geeks" and truth be told... I have no issues with them whatsoever. Like you said, it could be worse. I have heard the horror stories about the biker groups...

This sounds like a " fan" group of an entertainer. We had one of these on our Oasis cruise; Gino Vanelli. Admittedly, they were obviously a smaller percentage of total pax, and given that his big hit was frim the 70s, most of the group was women in their 50s, but I wouldn't have been able to pick them out from others except for their neck "credential" that allowed them into private concerts and events. Some venues were used for them, but at times when nothing else was going on there anyway. (Like the disco at 7 PM-there wouldn't be bartenders in there anyway). Finally on the last day of the cruise he performed in the Amber theater open to all. Most non group pax walked in stayed for half a number and walked out!

The good news is when they are using a little used lounge ( and Freedom has plenty of lounges) for their private events they are not clogging up the other venues, and it is LESS crowded. Have fun, I wouldn't sweat it!

Thanks! I'm glad to hear someone had a good experience with a big group on a cruise.

I've never heard of this group -- and my husband is very much a computer nerd. (Actually teaches computer classes at one of the Universities here). But I think they look kind of fun!

I say you can approach it two ways: Go with the flow and have fun, or go in with the attitude it's going to be awful - and it probably will be.

Personally, I would watch a marathon of "Big Bang Theory" before heading to the ship and just have fun with them!

Enjoy your cruise!

Ann

We were on Rhapsody in July and there was a HUGE Avon group onboard (in hindsight...explains the high prices that week). Anyway, it did not affect our cruise one bit. We did our thing and they did theirs. Saw tons of them around the ship, but didn't make a difference to us. Try not to sweat it and just focus on you having a good time! Have fun!

:) Thank you!

When we were on Indy last May for 4 nights, we commented to our steward that we had noticed and chatted with several Brazilian families in the elevators, all of whom were delightful but a surprise to see on a 4 night cruise to Cork!! We were stunned when he told us they were part of a group of 800, made up of 300 employees of an oil or petrochemical company and their families. We hardly saw them as they all had the same sitting in the restaurant, and I wished we had seen more of them as the few families we did chat to at various bars etc were great fun.

I'm one of those people going to be on the ship for JoCo. :)

I haven't gone on the previous years, this is based on my experiences with similar events on land.

You will see people who are weird looking to you. Silly costumes/hats/songs may break out spontaneously. There will probably be a lot of pale people. Possibly knitting.

RCI is unlikely to alter their official compass stuff, except to possibly move where things are held if there is an official event that needs a particular space and there is a conflict.

At things like the pool games, you might find people who are even more enthusiastic about it than your average cruiser - chalk it up to the fact they are with a large group and so there's comfort there.

There will likely be many spontaneous and not so spontaneous "non official" things happening, but my guess would be that even if they plan to take over a corner, if there are "snorks" (a loving term for the people who are not there for JoCo, think like muggle for harry potter) people will try to move/be polite.

The people who like Jonathan Coulton usually like witty, humor-based music, that could affect the karaoke nights in what you hear (though not what is offered)

It will be a different cruise experience I would guess than if there wasn't a big group, but that's not always a bad thing. :)

Edited to add: one of the formal nights, the JoCo cruisers will be wearing fezzes and fake mustaches. It's an internet thing, just roll with it. If you want, someone will probably have a mustache for you to borrow :)

Edited by SapphireMind

We too are nervous about this. We saved for a year for this cruise and although we like some of the performers for jccc3 (we are not a part of the group), we don't want to be limited from what we could have done on the ship had the group not been present.

Does that make sense?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Yay! A person on the same cruise :)

I feel the same way. The mob mentality of people may ruin some things... such as if some of them all decide to go to the pool, spa, certain bar, etc at the same time... I can imagine it being hard for others to use the space. I'm hoping because they have many other activities to do in other parts of the ship, it will open it up for the rest of us.

Hi all! I'm going to be a participant in this particular group (we call ourselves Sea Monkeys), and I thought I'd reach out to some of the concerns in this thread. For those who aren't familiar with Jonathan Coulton and company, I find the best way to describe us is as "internet enthusiasts". We don't have an exact number of participants, and we probably won't until we're on board, but we were 500some last year and will certainly be more this year. A lot of us fit the modern nerd/geek/etc scene as you might expect, and while it's hard to speak for hundreds of people, I can assure you that at least an extreme majority of us are incredibly friendly. If you'd like to know more about us, please feel free to ask! We're not a tshirt group, so you can identify us by our lanyards and badges.

While we are very aware that we are not the only ones on board and do not want to be in anyone's way, we do have a number of events specifically for our group. We will have the main theater for a few hours every night, as most of our entertainment list consists of stage performers (mostly musicians). The conference rooms will also be exclusively ours for the purposes of our game room (in which you will see a very impressive collection of board and table top games), and I believe we will also have some events at The Crypt throughout the week. There will be one evening where we will all be wearing formal wear, fezes, and mustaches. From my personal experience, attendance at our events is loosely enforced. It is only strictly enforced for open bar events, which there were 2 of last year, one on the first night and one on the last. Just keep in mind that if you do sneak in to any of our shows, they do tend to fall severely outside of what I would call "family friendly humor", so it's probably not best for children or the generally faint of heart. We're still friendly people though! Promise!

If you have any particular questions, I can do my best to answer them. Again, I'm just a participant and not anyone of any authority, but I'm sure there are some questions I can answer for you :)

Looking forward to meeting you all in February!

Thats what we're going to try! I just hope they arent taking over where we want to be...

Most of are really pretty nice. If there is a group that is "taking over" an area you were really hoping to use then, it could be worth it to ask one of us if we wouldn't mind taking another spot. Now, for pools/spas that won't work; because there's just only so many of those and people who are in the pool usually want to be in a pool. But for things like knitters or ukelele players or barbershop quartets, we're just looking for space, the particular of the space isn't as important. :)

We had approximately 700 young ladies and their families celebrating the girls quinceaneras. Unfortunately, it was before MTD and we requested late seating. A table had been created for my family of 6, placed IN FRONT of the door to the dining room and although requested, there was nothing that could be done to move us due to the large sized group. Nightly, we witnessed the overwhelming parade of young ladies not able to finish a course of dinner without multiple trips to somewhere outside of the dining room and the "high school drama" that accompanied them. Others may have complained more loudly but my husband and I being educators took it as our nightly HS dance duty and did our best with our adult sons and their significant others. Although we could have opted for the WJ, we made a family decision to stick it out in the dining room. We joked about the situation, the boys started counting the number of trips the girls made, the waiters were more than courteous to us each evening and we did make reservations at Chops. The upside was that other than dinner - we NEVER saw the girls.

That actually makes me feel better, since that group was just about the size of the group on our sailing. What ship were you on?