Weather on Cape Horn Cruise

SailinC2C

I am packing today and checked the weather for our main ports. I am afraid we are going to take too many 'warm' clothes and need more clothes for warm weather. BA, Montrvideo, Puerto madryn, Puerto Montt are all showing temps in the next week in the High 20-30's ©. That is usually shorts weather.

Can you tell me if in fact there are lots of days that it is warm? Is it warm enough on our first sea day out of Montevideo to sit by the pool?

I know we need warm clothes once we head toward the Falklands but am I being fooled by the temperatures? Does the wind change all this?

It is even showing it is going to be in the 60's in Ushuaia next week.

What's it really like????

We will be a little behind you on the Grand Princess.

We did a similar cruise in 2008. BA & Montevideo were beautiful 70's.

Falklands cold and very windy. You had to really bundle up.

Cape Horn cold but sunny and almost no wind

Ushuaia and Puntarenas. Cool and windy

Puerto Montt - rainy windy and cold.

As we sailed up the west coast of Chile we got two inches of snow by the pool

We will be a little behind you on the Grand Princess.

We did a similar cruise in 2008. BA & Montevideo were beautiful 70's.

Falklands cold and very windy. You had to really bundle up.

Cape Horn cold but sunny and almost no wind

Ushuaia and Puntarenas. Cool and windy

Puerto Montt - rainy windy and cold.

As we sailed up the west coast of Chile we got two inches of snow by the pool

What time of the year was it in 2008 when you took this trip?

When we went around Cape Horn in March, 2009, it was beautiful wam weather leaving São Paulo and began getting colder the farther south we went. Going around Cape Horn the Captain said it was hurricane 2 force winds' 80 - 100 mph and 40 ft waves. What a ride!!! We were told that bottles and glasses in some of the bars fell and broke. The farther north we went it got warmer and warmer. That will always be my most favorite trip.

It's a tough cruise to pack for. I just can't figure out if I need my down jacket for sitting on the balcony watching the glaciers or whether just laying lighter clothes will be OK.

We're also taking the boat from Punta Arenas to Magdalena Island with an independent operator. That boat doesn't look very warm!

I didn't take down, but a warm jacket, some hoodies and jeans. On our cruise probably 6 or 7 days were cool, cold, rainy or windy. The others were warm tropical weather.

You will love Magdalena Island and the penguins. We took the ferry over. What a fun day!

When we went around Cape Horn in March, 2009, it was beautiful wam weather leaving São Paulo and began getting colder the farther south we went. Going around Cape Horn the Captain said it was hurricane 2 force winds' 80 - 100 mph and 40 ft waves. What a ride!!! We were told that bottles and glasses in some of the bars fell and broke. The farther north we went it got warmer and warmer. That will always be my most favorite trip.

trixietx, did you get seasick going around the Horn?

I am packing today and checked the weather for our main ports. I am afraid we are going to take too many 'warm' clothes and need more clothes for warm weather. BA, Montrvideo, Puerto madryn, Puerto Montt are all showing temps in the next week in the High 20-30's ©. That is usually shorts weather.

Can you tell me if in fact there are lots of days that it is warm? Is it warm enough on our first sea day out of Montevideo to sit by the pool?

I know we need warm clothes once we head toward the Falklands but am I being fooled by the temperatures? Does the wind change all this?

It is even showing it is going to be in the 60's in Ushuaia next week.

What's it really like????

Accuweather is not showing such warm weather for Puerto Montt - more like 24C at the warmest.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/cl/puerto-montt/821/daily-weather-forecast/821

We found it very breezy on board our ship last month. Wear layers.

Accuweather is not showing such warm weather for Puerto Montt - more like 24C at the warmest.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/cl/puerto-montt/821/daily-weather-forecast/821

We found it very breezy on board our ship last month. Wear layers.

As a Canadian.... you don't think 24C is warm???? Ha! Ha! I'll take it over our -18C weather today!

Archived