Booking through a TA or on your own?

ShanZro

So which is better?

The cruise that we just went on was a grand prize for a contest that my husband entered so we didn't have to do anything except pick what dates we wanted to cruise. We plan on cruising again. But I am wondering if it is better to just look around the Carnival website for deals or go through a TA? Do you save money if you book with a TA rather than the Carnival website?

So which is better?

The cruise that we just went on was a grand prize for a contest that my husband entered so we didn't have to do anything except pick what dates we wanted to cruise. We plan on cruising again. But I am wondering if it is better to just look around the Carnival website for deals or go through a TA? Do you save money if you book with a TA rather than the Carnival website?

I save money with my TA, she's usually beats Carnival's price by 50 bucks or something, but throws in OBC or Wine... something else that Carnival certainly is not going to be giving me.

She also does all of the leg work, makes sure all our information is correct, ensures that if there are any problems that they get fixed and so on and so forth.

when you book through carnival's PVPs you're booking through a person who works for carnival, is paid by carnival, and has their paycheck and thus their employer in their best interest. my TA is paid through my fare, and is completely acting as my agent. while we've only had two problems, without my TA those problems (one with a fairly significant OBC owed to us following a terrible cruise experience) would have not been fixed, as carnival made it clear they had no intention of helping me. she's also very honest and upfront when something just cannot be done (which was not the same with carnival, who ended up unwrapping all of my daughter's birthday presents because at that point in time, you couldn't bring on board wrapped gifts after i was told by two different reps that i could in fact bring aboard wrapped gifts with no problem)

my TA also has contacts that i don't have and information that we just can't get as members of the public, she knows when there is a sale coming so i can put off booking until that happens, and she also knows if her agency (or other agencies they work with) have groups set up and can (and has) booked us as part of the group, giving us the much better group rate (and the OBC, without any obligation to actually be a part of the group itself) which is truly amazing (saving us a LOT of money on our upcoming alaska cruise on another line and we are also getting an unexpected and welcome OBC for all four of us going) obviously carnival is not going to add your stateroom to a block of rooms meant for group travel, to them its just not worth it.

to be honest, even if my TAs price wasn't the best, i would still book through her, because the personal service, and knowing that she will bend over backwards to ensure that our trip is what it is supposed to be is unbeatable.

A TA can save you money.

While it is true many cruise lines cannot give you lower fare, they can do freebies.

They can give you some guidance.

There is a site where you can have them bid for your trip. I cannot recommend a TA...but do a "bid for cruise fare" google search and you will see.

I booked though a TA...and found a competive price (via the compete...

but advertised to all as a discoutn per totoal cabin price). MY TA met it.

For another cruise they used that TA because they did a free night hotel in Anchorage.

SO...I just booked a cruise and I am getting got the Celebrity free drinks deal and the TA is giving me $325 in on board credit.

Be careful...because you cannot change a TA.

On Carnival last year I booked early bird and had my fare reduced a half dozen times. Since I booked with the TA I went through them and not Carnival for the fare reduction. I think if you booked via Carnival...and paid for the cruise in full...you would only get on board credit. I just had the fare reduced..until the time I had to pay in full. :D

There is a difference in OBC.

Some can be given as cash back and used for gratuities...some cannot. Use it or lose it.:eek:

A TA gives you extra freebies...and I know of no way booking direct benefits you.

That is my take.

Archived