Help! Subpoena came at bad time...

alymb03

I assume this is how the process works in Canada? Do you have experience with this in the US?

Will you be willing to post the bail for the OP's sister if she is arrested on a bench warrant for not answering the subpeona?

I am absolutely familar with the U.S. process. Thanks

The best legal advice you will ever hear on an internet message board: consult a lawyer in the jurisdiction where the matter is pending.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

That is great advice. Document everything and go to the Court office. It's the court workers that have all of the knowledge and power. They will not steer you wrong like those nasty lawyers ;)

I don't recall the assasination as grassy knoll, but remember the assasination vividly. Same for helter skelter with Manson and Tate.

well then, if you are old enough to remember the assasination you certainly have heard the term "grassy knoll" before and it doesn't matter how you recall the day, or what triggers your memory of it, but the term "grassy knoll" has been used numerous times over the past 50 years and from what I gather, few people question what it is referring to.

again, it doesn't matter what triggers your memory, what the post was saying is simply that this person being called to jury duty is actually most likely meaningless in the grand scheme of things and she should be allowed to go on her trip.

and for those that will now say, "well she could be locking up a killer with her testimony" All I can say is that we have not heard anything to reference that in this thread, but had we heard it was something like that, then yes, her being there would be extremely important.

I personally think her testimony is not going to make much difference. Just my humble opinion.

well then, if you are old enough to remember the assasination you certainly have heard the term "grassy knoll" before and it doesn't matter how you recall the day, or what triggers your memory of it, but the term "grassy knoll" has been used numerous times over the past 50 years and from what I gather, few people question what it is referring to.

again, it doesn't matter what triggers your memory, what the post was saying is simply that this person being called to jury duty is actually most likely meaningless in the grand scheme of things and she should be allowed to go on her trip.

and for those that will now say, "well she could be locking up a killer with her testimony" All I can say is that we have not heard anything to reference that in this thread, but had we heard it was something like that, then yes, her being there would be extremely important.

I personally think her testimony is not going to make much difference. Just my humble opinion.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that didn't associate the term grassy knoll.

Forgot to say, sadly we do not have insurance... I have been on multiple cruises and never needed it, so the thought did not occur to me... I guess lesson learned the hard way...

I guess at this point we will be praying that Destiny does NOT get her side thrusters fixed in time... so that we may be offered a refund anyways.

Wow...wonder what all the other people on that sailing feel about that?? ouch

people ask about early saver /no insurance questions... BUT in the end no one here can do anything or suggest anything.

I do wonder ..IF this case was so important, why did your sister book a cruise before it was settled?? Or why not at least get insurance?

There is absolutely no information on this thread for you to base this "humble" opinion on. She could be the star witness for all you know. Or, you could be right and her testimony may have no impact. In fact, the attorney who subpoenaed her, now knowing about her situation may be refusing to release her simply to put pressure on the other side to settle.

Regardless, the fact remains that she did nothing, that we've been told about, to protect herself in this situation. She didn't check the trial status and schedule before booking the cruise. She didn't notify the attorneys of her plans after she booked the cruise. And, she didn't buy insurance.

To her credit, she's doing the responsible thing and not going on the cruise. Thankfully she's not following the advice of many on here to blow off the subpoena, go on the cruise and deal with the consequences later. Take note of the woman who was recently arrested while trying to leave a Disney cruise over a 19 year old outstanding warrant. She spent a week in jail while that matter was straightened out.

Hopefully something will change and she'll be able to go at the last minute. Also to her credit, she's not posting on here whining about a situation that is, at least in part, of her own making.

There is absolutely no information on this thread for you to base this "humble" opinion on. She could be the star witness for all you know. Or, you could be right and her testimony may have no impact. In fact, the attorney who subpoenaed her, now knowing about her situation may be refusing to release her simply to put pressure on the other side to settle.

Regardless, the fact remains that she did nothing, that we've been told about, to protect herself in this situation. She didn't check the trial status and schedule before booking the cruise. She didn't notify the attorneys of her plans after she booked the cruise. And, she didn't buy insurance.

To her credit, she's doing the responsible thing and not going on the cruise. Thankfully she's not following the advice of many on here to blow off the subpoena, go on the cruise and deal with the consequences later. Take note of the woman who was recently arrested while trying to leave a Disney cruise over a 19 year old outstanding warrant. She spent a week in jail while that matter was straightened out.

Hopefully something will change and she'll be able to go at the last minute. Also to her credit, she's not posting on here whining about a situation that is, at least in part, of her own making.

you are correct, but MHO is based on the realization that the lawyers and the courts play games just like you describe and she is probably just a pawn in the game.

FWIW, I have been told I overplan, but while some see that as a negative, I see that as a positive especially when booking non refundable vacations.

I would have been on the phone with all involved before I made my deposit on the cruise and I would have bought a policy that covers the $1000 or so that I would lose for this cruise should I need to cancel and I would have bought cancel for any reason insurance.

Remember she is only responsible for her own costs and a policy would have been rather inexpensive, even with the cancel for any reason, but from what I gather, court situations are covered under regular policies and no need for the cancel for any reason anyway.

but that is just me, protecting my own financial welfare. Of course there is nothing at all wrong with that anyway.

No,she's not going. The balcony cabin will remain empty. The OP said it on the other thread.

Is this the way subpeonas work?

You get 1 week of notice, and you're supposed to drop everything and appear?

I would take the cruise and tell the lawyers to pound sand - Talk to them when you return.

I agree entirely.

I'd take the darned cruise, after doing all I can to sort it out, before cruise-date.

Let your lawyer represent you and say you were...whatever it takes

-and see y'all post-cruise!

I wouldn't be forfeiting an expensive cruise just like that.

I'd take the darned cruise, after doing all I can to sort it out, before cruise-date.

Let your lawyer represent you and say you were...whatever it takes

-and see y'all post-cruise!

I wouldn't be forfeiting an expensive cruise just like that.

Posting bail and defending yourself against contempt of court and/or obstruction of justice charges can get pretty pricey, too. :eek:

To be truthful, many courts would not be issuing a warrant if you didn't respond to the subpoena. But the judge I mentioned earlier . . .my educated guess is that the warrant woukd have been issued. That's just how Justice G conducted his courtroom. Even if the appellate court later decides he exceeded his authority and vacates the warrant, the damage would have been done.

If you don't buy trip insurance or bring your passport on a cruise you are taking a risk, gambling that you won't run into any difficulties. Ignoring a subpoena is a similar gamble. Don't take the risk unless you are willing to accept the consequences.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

FWIW I just asked my 15 year old what's the first thing that pops to mind when he hears "grassy knoll" he said "Kennedy".

I'm 32 and the association is automatic.

I'm 25, from Canada, and have never taken an American History course and I got it... :o

but that has nothing to do with the matter at hand!

OP so sorry this has happened to your group and I hope you're able to make the best of it.

I don't recall the assasination as grassy knoll, but remember the assasination vividly. Same for helter skelter with Manson and Tate.

The term refers to a long held theory that there was a 2nd shooter on "the grassy knoll". They have reenacted the shooting with modern ballistic software and have concluded that while possible, its unlikely - especially for someone with only basic military training.

The point is, that she is not being summoned to testify against some world/history changing event. That being said, whatever crime happened was a shame. But her attendance on that particular day is not going to be the swing vote that matters.....especially after the prosecutor gets done with her.

Go on the darn cruise, enjoy it. When you get back tell them you tried but nobody was going to cover your losses. Why should you be penalized and take a financial loss for something thats going to be either 1) plea bargained, 2) dismissed 3) postponed for another day.

The term refers to a long held theory that there was a 2nd shooter on "the grassy knoll". They have reenacted the shooting with modern ballistic software and have concluded that while possible, its unlikely - especially for someone with only basic military training.

The point is, that she is not being summoned to testify against some world/history changing event. That being said, whatever crime happened was a shame. But her attendance on that particular day is not going to be the swing vote that matters.....especially after the prosecutor gets done with her.

Go on the darn cruise, enjoy it. When you get back tell them you tried but nobody was going to cover your losses. Why should you be penalized and take a financial loss for something thats going to be either 1) plea bargained, 2) dismissed 3) postponed for another day.

THe ship sailed at 4:15 today, watched it leave on the webcam, without the summoned person and cabinmate, the balcony cabin is empty. Our poster and her cabinmate are in the 1A according to an an

swer she gave on another thread.

I don't know what I'd do if it was my perdicament.

The real shame here is that our court system is so intimidating to most folks that things like happen. Had she really put much effort into being able to go she would be on the ship - but most folks are too afraid to question a legal proceeding, JMHO

This is really a shame. I agree with the poster who said it will be postponed adjourned dismissed.

so, if we do truly have the entire story, which I somehow doubt, the lesson learned is:

1. buy insurance

2. Plan ahead and check your court dates

3. Realize what is and what isn't an Earth shattering event. I doubt the Warren Commission was reconvened and that is what she was subpeonaed to testify at.

Ok.....Warren Commission anyone?

oh, and get those people out of your life that are in trouble with the law.

I know it doesn't affect any of us directly, but I'd be curious as to whether this cruise was cancelled in vain? Did she indeed testify? Hope the OP responds.

I would expect we will get a response only if she does testify and her testimony is actually a game changer.

Personally, I am going to take silence as far as posting updates by the OP to mean that her sister's testimony was either not needed, canceled or just "pawn".

I find this to be crazy! 5 years ago this week we left on a 13 day vaca to Jamaica, which we booked 9 months in advance. 5 months after we booked I was served with a subpoena, in which I was a witness for a bank robbery. I contacted the courts that same day and all I had to do is show my proof of our vaca and proof that we had booked it before I was served the subpoena. Once I showed the proof I was excused, because I was 1 of 6 witnesses what they did was change the court date to the following month.

I find this to be crazy! 5 years ago this week we left on a 13 day vaca to Jamaica, which we booked 9 months in advance. 5 months after we booked I was served with a subpoena, in which I was a witness for a bank robbery. I contacted the courts that same day and all I had to do is show my proof of our vaca and proof that we had booked it before I was served the subpoena. Once I showed the proof I was excused, because I was 1 of 6 witnesses what they did was change the court date to the following month.

of course it is crazy...but this is CC and one thing for sure is that we never ever get the entire story and what we do get is usually second or third hand at best.

There is more to this deal than what the OP posted, I am certain of that if for no other reason than understanding human nature. Not saying the OP lied, but since the devil is in the details......

Archived