Help! Subpoena came at bad time...

alymb03

Is this the way subpeonas work? You get 1 week of notice, and you're supposed to drop everything and appear?

- What if you had planned a large business meeting and people were traveling from different places to meet with you? Or what if you were expected to be at your client site without fail on Monday? Are you expected to lose your job because of this court case?

- What if you were already out of town or out of the country, not scheduled to return until the following week? Are they going to find you and track you down in Europe or Asia, and bring you back to the US for this court case?

Unless the OP is bending the truth a little, I find it completely unreasonable that someone is expected to drop everything on one week's notice.

i would take the cruise and tell the lawyers to pound sand - Talk to them when you return.

A few years ago I received a subpoena to appear as a witness in a criminal prosecution a week ahead of time - in Chicago (I'm in New York). I had previously told the investigator on the case that I was not the correct witness and really could not provide relevant evidence, but he seemed to think I was going to make the case for the prosecution. After I received the subpoena, I called the Assistant US Attorney handling the case and explained that I was not the correct witness and exactly how the defense attorney would be able to demonstrate that my evidence was irrelevant. Fortunately she agreed with me and withdrew the subpoena. No trip to Chicago (although I really like Chicago:)). Point is, yes you can be subpoenaed a week ahead of time.

My sister is joining me for our cruise leaving on Saturday... She is in a separate cabin with a friend.

She just got served with a subpoena and has to appear in court on Monday. She said the judge will not excuse her, even with proof of her trip. The lawyer is telling her to stay anyways because it will damage the case if she doesn't.

They are booked early saver. Are there any options???? :(

I don't think she has any options but to stay put. Since she booked Early Saver she can always cruise at a later date BUT then this doesn't help her now.

If you have been on multiple cruises you correctly believed that insurance is seldom used. Do the math.

Figure out how much insurance would have been on these past cruises. You may discover you are still ahead even with the loss of this trip.

Sorry for this but you may have done the right thing by not buying insurance.

Good Luck

OP, ignore these posts. I would rather have 25,000 people inconvenienced then 1 person I love.

So would all the pretend noble people who are tsk tsking you. Besides which your thought is just an idle wish.

I haven't had a car accident, my house hasn't burned down and I hardly ever use my medical plan. Using your logic I'm wasting my money on insurance.

I haven't had a car accident, my house hasn't burned down and I hardly ever use my medical plan. Using your logic I'm wasting my money on insurance.

I believe travel insurance is not necessary in all cases.

In our case our medical insurance covers us all over the world and if we ever had to be medivac it would hurt but not devestate us financially.

If somewhere down the line we lose a cruise due to illness or car trouble we are still ahead of the game by not paying for the insurance.

However this is relevant for us and not for others.

Posting bail and defending yourself against contempt of court and/or obstruction of justice charges can get pretty pricey, too. :eek:

If legal costs for in-court representation in her jurisdiction are anything like those in my neck of the woods the tab would most likely be many times the total cost of her cruise.

so what happen OP?

she missed her cruise, but did she testify?

My money says we are never going to find out but please prove me wrong!!!

Guess we'll find out today, maybe. Sensation is in port, but of course the OP still has to get home first, check with her friend etc.

Hoping she'll report back.

It depends entirely on how much money is at risk and whether you can handle the financial loss if something happens. House burns down or major medical issue = hundreds of thousands or millions in loss. Missed vacation = maybe a few thousand in loss. It is a logical choice to purchase insurance only to cover losses you could not handle. That's why many choose higher deductibles, with lower premiums. If you could easily financially handle losing the cost of a vacation (and your medical insurance will cover you while on vacation) and it is unlikely you will need the insurance, it can make financial sense to not get travel insurance.

back to page one

still waiting for the OP

I take silence to mean that the friend wasn't needed in court and should have gone on the cruise

But I would like to hear what really happened

I think the OP went on the cruise. We'll have to wait to hear "the rest of the story".

Hi all. I did go on the cruise and my sister and her cabin mate did not. She bailed simply because my sister couldn't go. My sister did testify in court this past weeks and her 8C cabin was canceled. I did ask if I could have her cabin since I had booked it for her (a long shot, I know) . I was not able to have it but I was given an upgrade from my 1A with portholes to a 4J and given my request to switch dinner times even though the maitre'd had already said it was not possible. My sister and her cabin mate did lose all their money but I think maybe their port fees will be given back?

Thanks for the input and ultimately, the lesson here is to buy travel insurance!!!

So glad you reported back. I buy insurance now though it seems like a waste if you don't have to use it. But one never knows when that time will be, as proven in this situation that had a great deal of money involved. Insurance also covers other things, not just missing your ship.

My sister is joining me for our cruise leaving on Saturday... She is in a separate cabin with a friend.

She just got served with a subpoena and has to appear in court on Monday. She said the judge will not excuse her, even with proof of her trip. The lawyer is telling her to stay anyways because it will damage the case if she doesn't.

They are booked early saver. Are there any options???? :(

she needs to hire her own lawyer, like TODAY. because this sounds a little weird... they're usually issued a bit more in advance, unless she's like the star witness they think is gonna run or something... (and even then... weird...) the lawyers doing the sending and the other side both are going to tell her that she needs to be there. i'm guessing she got this yesterday and has to appear monday..

most judges are going to be forgiving considering its not like she knew she was going to be called (or she wouldn't have been served). she needs a good lawyer who has the ability and the standing with the courthouse to contact the presiding judge TODAY. it happens. i know this for a fact. she can give proof of the trip, and the duration and they can reschedule her for when she gets back.

At 83$ for 2 of us, insurance is a good deal. Protects from illness, accident all sorts of things that might happen. What a shame to add losing all that $$ to it. Silver lining would be taking your cruise later after things were all worked out. We don't cruise without it.

she needs to hire her own lawyer, like TODAY. because this sounds a little weird... they're usually issued a bit more in advance, unless she's like the star witness they think is gonna run or something... (and even then... weird...) the lawyers doing the sending and the other side both are going to tell her that she needs to be there. i'm guessing she got this yesterday and has to appear monday..

most judges are going to be forgiving considering its not like she knew she was going to be called (or she wouldn't have been served). she needs a good lawyer who has the ability and the standing with the courthouse to contact the presiding judge TODAY. it happens. i know this for a fact. she can give proof of the trip, and the duration and they can reschedule her for when she gets back.

The trip is over. She did not go and lost all of her money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Archived