Sort of noob question re. land excursions

I'll be going on only my 2nd cruise ever this June. We're booked on Jewel of the Seas on their southern Caribbean tour (San Juan, St. Thomas, Basseterre, St Kitts, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Oranjestad, Willemstad). My GF has never been on a cruise.

I'm of two minds re. the whole excursion thing.

Pros: Convenient, someone else handles the transportation.

Cons: Might be crowded, less chance to explore on your own.

We're not into any of the adventure stuff, and prefer more of the architecture/history/food things.

I should add I did the Tulum tour on my first cruise and couldn't help but feel I was on cattle drive. I especially disliked the "rest stops" at the tacky gift shops. (Hmmm. Perhaps I'm answering my own question here.)

Anyhow, I thought I'd put this out there in case there are any "not to be missed" tours.

Thanks in advance.

We did a walking tour of Old San Juan that was really good. Go to puertoricodaytrips dot com. It is a 3 part self guided tour that takes you to all the historic sites. A plus is you pass a lot very authentic restaurants in the old section.

I can't help you with specific tours at any of those ports, but in general, I like the security of booking a ship's based excursion. My guess is that Tulum is one of the most popular excursions and so overcrowding might have been an issue for that one. Most excusions I've done have been handled well by the guides and not overcrowded. Usually when it's my first time at a port I don't lke to go it alone.

Here are my thought for your ports... and none of them involve cruise sponsored excursions. I tend not to like them as they are overpriced and leave little room for individual preferences.

San Juan: Easy to do your own walking tour of Old San Juan and take in the sites. Exploring the two major forts (El morro and San Cristobal) is something that I really enjoy.

St. Thomas: when you get off of the ship pick up one of the island tours at the end of the pier. I really enjoy the open air buses that will drive you around and show you the major views from the island including Mountain Top. You could then spend the afternoon in town or around the Havensight pier area.

St. Kitts: You can pick up an island tour at the end of the pier or prearrange a tour with one of the major guides like Royston or Thenford Grey. They both have websites that you can look at. You will get a great overview of the island and get to explore the major fort on the island.

Aruba: again you can pick up a tour at the end of the pier that will bring you to the major attractions. Your other option, if you are up to it, is to rent a jeep and drive. The side of the island away from the capitol is amazing to see... in my opinion of course. Plenty of the tours go over to that side too.

Curacao: The pier is a very short walk from the center of town. I love walking around the town and hanging out by the floating bridge. Hato Cave is also, again in my opinion, very interesting to visit. It is easy to pick up a taxi at the end of the pier to get there and back.

If you go to the Ports of Call forum, you can learn about your particular ports and read other people's thoughts. Sometimes there are members who live in those ports who can give you some excellent advice...Good Luck!

Absolutely! I've learned a lot of things about what's available on various islands on the Ports-of-Call boards. Sometimes it helps to use the search function over there, if you don't immediately see what you're looking for. And, when you post a question, it may take a little longer to get replies than on some of the other boards -- but, just be patient. ;)

Absolutely! I've learned a lot of things about what's available on various islands on the Ports-of-Call boards. Sometimes it helps to use the search function over there, if you don't immediately see what you're looking for. And, when you post a question, it may take a little longer to get replies than on some of the other boards -- but, just be patient. ;)

Agree with this. In the ports of call section you can get a feel for whether each of your stops is a good, do it yourself stop, a good place for a private excursion (booked outside of the cruise line, sometimes private sometimes in a small group) which many will recommend, or best for a cruise line sponsored excursion.

Your timing in port and what you do there often helps to make the decision which way to go.

On St. Kitts for the history buff Brimstone Hill Fortress is a don't miss. It's a world heritage site and has been somewhat restored. Thenford Grey's tour takes you there or you can just arrange a taxi tour at the port to take you there.

Archived