sydney long time at airport

dogted

We will be arriving in Sydney on the Solstice April 8...our flight to Honolulu does not leave until 9:20pm...does any one have any ideas for hotel day rooms or tours with an airport drop off if anyone has spent a day at this airport, I would be interested in your thoughts

Thank you

We will be arriving in Sydney on the Solstice April 8...our flight to Honolulu does not leave until 9:20pm...does any one have any ideas for hotel day rooms or tours with an airport drop off if anyone has spent a day at this airport, I would be interested in your thoughts

Thank you

There is a Mercure Hotel close to the airport...you could check if they do day rooms...they have a shuttle to and from the international terminal. I would drop your bags in the city and spend the day exploring the city you don't need a tour, the opera house, Mrs. Macquaries Chair, Art Galleries, Botanic Gardens, the Harbour Bridge, Darling Harbour, Sydney Aquarium and Wildlife all easily reached. There is an excellent backpackers in the historic rocks area...you can get private rooms...you only want to leave bags and perhaps rest up a bit later.

Sue

Thank you

Check the Ibis Hotel at the airport (it's the next brand down from The Mercure mentioned above - owned by the same French Accor group).

I can see nothing on their website but I have seen mention in same reviews fairly recently they do day rooms between 9am and 5pm for around $99(not cheap but I suppose as against an alternative of stuck with cases and boarding grumpy and sweaty it's not to bad).

http://www.ibis.com/gb/hotel-3058-ibis-sydney-airport/index.shtml

I also note a few little lines on The Sydney Hilton website ( in the middle of the CBD). They note that they now do day rooms but you need to ring them to book (I suppose its on an availability basis -if there was a big convention for example or a weekend maybe less likely to have some free).

http://www.hiltonsydney.com.au/accommodation/rooms-suites

Check at the bottom left hand side there is a small section. Being a Hilton I wouldn't expect it would be overly cheap but the upside is you are in the middle of the city so have more options for looking around and eating. Then checkout around 5 or 6 and get a taxi to the airport.

Mecure, Stamford and Ibis are the only hotels I am aware of that have day rooms near Sydney airport. All are reasonably cheap considering their brand. In your case it might be more cost effective to check into the hotel, leave your bags in a room, tour and explore and return and freshen up with a shower before your flight home.

I have stayed at all three for either a night before a flight or day stay.

Thank you

You could contact Suanne at Real Sydney Tours and ask if she does tours with airport drop off. We had a great day with her on January 15. She also does tours of the blue mountains which we are sorry we missed.

There is bag storage at Sydney international airport too. I was there last week and noticed it. This is a link to rates.

http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/~/media/Files/Travellers%20Website/Prepare/Luggage%20Services/Baggage%20Storage%20and%20Other%20Services%20Rates%20Proposed%20_March%202012.pdf

There are in fact 2 bag storage areas at Sydney International Airport. I suggest transfer to the airport either by taxi or ships transfer, check bags at airport storage, get return ticket by train back to the city for a day in the City including the HOHO bus and a ferry ride to Manly Beach. Return to airport, collect bags and if you have frequent flyer status use the airlines lounge for a shower etc. I assume you are flying Hawaiian Air/Virgin.

Otherwise check out the Hilton in downtown Sydney.

You might care to look outside the square a bit.

You could hire a car at Circular Quay (Avis are at 30 Pitt St a short walk from OPT), do a drive around in your own time, and then drop car off at Airport. You would have all your luggage with you and free to do your own thing. Cost would be cheaper than a room/taxi etc.

cheers

If you are thinking of using a hotel in the city, try to choose one that is within walking distance of the OPT. When we disembarked the Solstice two weeks ago, there was a HUGE queue for taxis. Lucky for us, we had an overnight stay at the Old Sydney Holiday Inn - just one block away!

You might care to look outside the square a bit.

You could hire a car at Circular Quay (Avis are at 30 Pitt St a short walk from OPT), do a drive around in your own time, and then drop car off at Airport. You would have all your luggage with you and free to do your own thing. Cost would be cheaper than a room/taxi etc.

cheers

The rental agency is at the Sydney Harbour Marriott (note spelling of harbour). You might even try them for a day room. However, i disagree with flipper on renting a car unless you are familiar with driving on the left side of the road. Sydney is the largest city in Australia and not driver friendly. For a person to drive here who is unfamiliar with our city roads is just too stressful. Besides, you don't need a car to get around in Sydney.

Thank you

The taxi's from Circular Quay to the Airport will be a nightmare and expensive. Do you need to book a hotel for the day? I would catch the train from Circular Quay to the International Airport, store your luggage then catch the train back into the city. If you get off at Town Hall you will be in the centre of the city and can walk to Darling Harbour, or explore the Queen Victoria Building.

The Rocks at Circular Quay is a very interesting area to explore (hold lots of early Australian history), or take a walk to the Opera House or a Ferry ride to Manly (the Ferry departs from Wharf 3 at Circular Quay). Maybe google and check out day tours around Sydney, day tours allow you to see everything from the comfort of a tour coach with an experienced tour guide.

Sydney Taronga Zoo is a great day tour, it is easily accessible by Ferry from circular Quay.

Sydney is so beautiful, you can't go wrong whatever you choose. If possible be up on deck when the ships sails through Sydney Heads, it is a magnificent experience.

Enjoy!!!

Archived