Dress Code in Dawn Main Dining Room?

tammi0916

I personally would much rather see a fellow cruiser wearing a nice pair of dressy shorts than jeans in the MDR. I found it odd that shorts were frowned upon but jeans were fine. Also agree with whomever said above about men wearing hats during meals. Yuck!

We ate at Cagneys one evening. I wore a skirt and a dressy top, DH wore slacks and a nice golf shirt. We saw a group near us with the men wearing t-shirts, jeans and baseball caps. :confused: Their girlfriends/wives were dressed very nicely.

I just got off of the Dawn and IMO the dress "code" is ridiculous. I saw a man turned away from Venetian in dress shorts and a button down but another man in jeans and a t-shirt style shirt was dining. To me that is silly. The man in the dress short outfit looked 100% better then the jeans man. I think that the Venetian policy should either be dressier or forgotten.

Saw the same sort of thing on the Epic in the Manhattan DR. Let the guy in jeans and a Harley t-shirt in, but the guy in dress shorts and collared shirt told to change or go to Taste.

The Bermuda dress shorts and socks are not worn with sandals from what I understand. It is usually loafers or a dress shoe. Have you seen this outfit worn on Bermuda? I think it looks fantastic when done right. Although my 6'3 skinny husband probably could not pull it off.

I've seen it worn that way...both ways, actually, and I find it atrocious. Sorry. I was raised that you didn't wear high socks with shorts at all, so I will probably never appreciate the look. The only thing I appreciate on a man that is like this is the ceremonial kilt with high socks and the kilt worn together. Other than that, I just don't appreciate the look. My opinion, so you don't have to agree with it, of course.

DML

Am I correct that you've never cruised on NCL? If so, I suggest you listen closely to those who have cruised NCL for years and know the realities of the ins and outs of NCL cruising and pay less attention to what the web site says. NCL's site can be out of touch with the reality of their ship operations. IMO, their web site is one of the weakest parts of their operation and always has been.

While I agree that NCL's web site is out of date...and lacks what I consider basic programming creature comforts, I highly suggest you stop telling other people how to plan for their cruises their own way. Someone asked a question, and I responded with what the site actually says about the "rules," pathetic as they seem to be in action. Personally, I am always ready for some eager beaver young staff member to start quoting the actual rules to me, so I take the time to learn the rules and follow them pretty closely, just in case (and because I was taught it was good form to do so and not ruin other people's experience in the venue), in addition to listening to the stories which tell me there may or may not be leeway given on any rule (which you'll notice never line up precisely from person to person, ship to ship, staff member to staff member, indicating that you take a chance if you break the rules, in any case).

You plan your way. I plan mine. In the meantime, do not tell me how to plan. It's presumptuous of you.

DML

While I agree that NCL's web site is out of date...and lacks what I consider basic programming creature comforts, I highly suggest you stop telling other people how to plan for their cruises their own way. Someone asked a question, and I responded with what the site actually says about the "rules," pathetic as they seem to be in action. Personally, I am always ready for some eager beaver young staff member to start quoting the actual rules to me, so I take the time to learn the rules and follow them pretty closely, just in case (and because I was taught it was good form to do so and not ruin other people's experience in the venue), in addition to listening to the stories which tell me there may or may not be leeway given on any rule (which you'll notice never line up precisely from person to person, ship to ship, staff member to staff member, indicating that you take a chance if you break the rules, in any case).

You plan your way. I plan mine. In the meantime, do not tell me how to plan. It's presumptuous of you.

DML

Do as you wish...just don't complain after your cruise about getting misinformation because you followed what the web site says rather than what the experienced cruisers here know is the truth.

I'm not so much concerned about what you want to do for yourself, but rather that someone reading your posts might think you're an authoritative voice speaking from experience rather than a newcomer who actually hasn't cruised on NCL and is just parroting what you read on the web site.

DML

It's presumptuous of you to think you know more from reading the website than people who've been cruising this line for a while now. While it is helpful to read what's on the website, taking it as absolute gospel is pretty funny. Not any different than talking to a person in customer service at NCL - 99% of which have never been on a cruise themselves.

And BTW, your countdown clock is for an NCL ship, but the ship shown is clearly Carnval. Most would consider that a major faux pas.

Archived