Dress Code in Dawn Main Dining Room?

tammi0916

hello-

We have cruised many time but never on NCL and just wanted to check about dres code, I have heard this is "freestyle" but just read something about people not being allowed in the main dining room due to dress code?

Specifically can hubby were golf shorts and nice polo golf shirt to dinner? And what about nice jeans or jean capris (I find the dining rooms to be freezing and would like to wear capris)

Thanks so much!

Tam

Hubby won't be able to wear shorts to the aft main dining room (Versailles I think?) but can in the midship one (Aqua). I believe the same policy is true for jeans, but I'm not positive... I'd bring khaki pants just in case. I wore capris (but not jean ones) and a casual top most evenings- sometimes a sun dress. My young son was OK in shorts and a polo shirt, my daughter in sundresses.

On another post, someone said the two restaurants that have a dress code are Venetian and Bistro. Aqua wasn't limited that way.

At dinner, it was limited to long pants for men and (I believe) a collared shirt and closed shoe. They mentioned no sandals or flip flops at dinner, but I have to assume that applies to sporty type wear, since there's no way they could stop women from wearing dressy sandals or heeled sandals/mules, I'm sure.

For women, it was a little looser. You couldn't wear t-shirts and shorts, but women didn't have to wear dresses or skirts. I've heard that capris or similar knee-length pants are fine for women.

I've also been told that jeans are okay for both men and women, if they are neat and clean (not frayed or distressed) and worn with a collared shirt or dress shirt for women.

OH! From the main FAQ about clothing...

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day.

Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise.

We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly.

DML

On another post, someone said the two restaurants that have a dress code are Venetian and Bistro. Aqua wasn't limited that way.

At dinner, it was limited to long pants for men and (I believe) a collared shirt and closed shoe. They mentioned no sandals or flip flops at dinner, but I have to assume that applies to sporty type wear, since there's no way they could stop women from wearing dressy sandals or heeled sandals/mules, I'm sure.

For women, it was a little looser. You couldn't wear t-shirts and shorts, but women didn't have to wear dresses or skirts. I've heard that capris or similar knee-length pants are fine for women.

I've also been told that jeans are okay for both men and women, if they are neat and clean (not frayed or distressed) and worn with a collared shirt or dress shirt for women.

OH! From the main FAQ about clothing...

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day.

Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise.

We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly.

DML

DML-

Thanks for the info - just want to be clear on what to wear when as I was under the impression that is was any dress any time based on the "freestyle" tag line so good to know which is which...I actually don't mind dressing up a bit so not a big deal. On nights hubby wants to wear shorts we will just eat in one that lets us or have dinner in our suite!

Thanks!!

Tammi

Just got off the Dawn on the 20th.

Dined 1 night in Aqua, and didn't notice anything.

Dined the rest of the week in Venetian and twice saw people denied entrance because they were wearing shorts, ( thank you NCL for enforcing the dress code).

I wore jeans and khakis with no problems. I always wore a collared shirt. The wife and girls wore jeans and capris with no problems. They always wore a nice top. A couple of times the girls wore open toe shoes (not flip flops) without any problem.

I hope this helps

Just got off the Dawn on the 20th.

Dined 1 night in Aqua, and didn't notice anything.

Dined the rest of the week in Venetian and twice saw people denied entrance because they were wearing shorts, ( thank you NCL for enforcing the dress code).

I wore jeans and khakis with no problems. I always wore a collared shirt. The wife and girls wore jeans and capris with no problems. They always wore a nice top. A couple of times the girls wore open toe shoes (not flip flops) without any problem.

I hope this helps

thanks this does help!

Tammi

I believe NCL finally got the dress code right for most folks. Some want to wear their shorts, and some don't like dining next to those who do wear shorts. Having one of the main dining rooms loose and one rigid with the dress code works well. Just go to the one that fits you best.

So are ball caps.

Hat etiquette allows men to wear hats and caps in restaurants when there is no hat check in, remember those?, a hat rack, or a chair provided by the host. The same applies entering a house when the host doesn't place the hat into the coat closet near the front door. Many homes today don't have a coat closet by the front door or a hat rack. Hats are considered accessories, which require infrastructure inside a building. Which by the way is sadly not available everywhere today. We are no longer living in the 1950s when such infrastructure was available everywhere when the vast majority of men wore hats. Sadly cruise ships don't provide a hat check in, or a hat rack in any of their restaurants and dining rooms, much less provide a chair to place the hat on.

Most women remember their mothers telling their brothers to take off their cap when entering their home. A boy should, and place his cap in a proper place in his bedroom. But cruise ships aren't homes, and neither are restaurants. Sadly so many have forgotten the rules of hat etiquette, or don't know them.

Freestyle is more about doing/eating when you want instead of the cattle call to the MDR at a specific time. If you show up at either the aft MDR or LeBistro in shorts, you will be turned away. You can either go change or dine elsewhere. Shorts are fine in the midship MDR.

The part of freestyle that does specifically pertain to the evening dress code is that there are Dress Up or Not evenings (2 on a 7 night sailing). It's perfectly fine to not dress up if you don't want to and no one will look down on your.

A couple of times the girls wore open toe shoes (not flip flops) without any problem.

It's only disallowed for men. I suppose they realize most dress shoes for women and girls are open toe or at least open somewhere on the foot...sandal straps, mule, heels... More than half the styles aren't fully-enclosed foot. So the dress code does not say that for women...only for men.

DML

Hat etiquette allows men to wear hats and caps in restaurants when there is no hat check in, remember those?, a hat rack, or a chair provided by the host. The same applies entering a house when the host doesn't place the hat into the coat closet near the front door. Most women remember their mothers telling their brothers to take off their cap when entering their home. A boy should, and place his cap in a proper place in his bedroom. But cruise ships aren't homes, and neither are restaurants. Sadly so many have forgotten the rules of hat etiquette, or don't know them.

You were raised with slightly different etiquette about it than I was. A man would almost always remove his hat indoors. If he was visiting, he would ask where he could put his hat, and the host would take the hat for him and put it somewhere safe, if there wasn't a hat rack available for it. If it was a salesman or something similar, he would sit with his hat in his lap or next to him on the Davenport (remember THOSE?) or stand with it in his hands. Only workmen who were bringing in something heavy left their hats on, because their hands were busy, and on the way out, they would tip their hats to the residents of the house. In restaurants, the only time it is appropriate for a man to keep his hat on is if there is not a chair to put it on.

But that does not apply to ball caps. For one thing, it's poor form to wear a ball cap to the dining room, because it's sport wear. But it's also NOT an appropriate piece of clothing to continue wearing at the table, unlike other hats, which can be excused.

It's not that no one knows hat etiquette. It's that not all of us were raised with the SAME hat etiquette. What I was taught in the 60s and 70s is slightly different than your comments about the 50s.

DML

It's not that no one knows hat etiquette. It's that not all of us were raised with the SAME hat etiquette. What I was taught in the 60s and 70s is slightly different than your comments about the 50s.

DML

And those boys that grew up in the 80's and 90's probably have no idea that there is such a thing as hat etiquette. I really dislike seeing men and boys with caps on in a restaurant, but most of the the young people raising a family these days likely don't see a problem with it. Sad to say I think it's a courtesy of the past. JMHO

Cdn in KS

It's only disallowed for men. I suppose they realize most dress shoes for women and girls are open toe or at least open somewhere on the foot...sandal straps, mule, heels... More than half the styles aren't fully-enclosed foot. So the dress code does not say that for women...only for men.

DML

I wear leather sandals all the time and have never been turned away from the dining room. There's no way they can turn away men while allowing their female dining companions to wear essentially the same type of footwear. This a case where the corporate wrote a dumb policy statement that is ignored on the ship because it makes no sense.

And those boys that grew up in the 80's and 90's probably have no idea that there is such a thing as hat etiquette. I really dislike seeing men and boys with caps on in a restaurant, but most of the the young people raising a family these days likely don't see a problem with it. Sad to say I think it's a courtesy of the past. JMHO

Cdn in KS

Well, mine do, but that's because they have parents that know it and passed it along.

DML

I wear leather sandals all the time and have never been turned away from the dining room. There's no way they can turn away men while allowing their female dining companions to wear essentially the same type of footwear. This a case where the corporate wrote a dumb policy statement that is ignored on the ship because it makes no sense.

Actually, they can, but apparently, they choose not to. In the same way, an office I worked in required men to wear closed-toe shoes, but women were not so required. It was their office dress code.

And it's good to know not all the ships are living to the double standard. I'm just letting you know what the site says, so people can be prepared, if they encounter a MDR that does enforce it. Then again, the site says that Bermuda attire, including high dark socks with sandals (gak! does anyone actually want to dress that way?) are fine. Go figure.

DML

I just got off of the Dawn and IMO the dress "code" is ridiculous. I saw a man turned away from Venetian in dress shorts and a button down but another man in jeans and a t-shirt style shirt was dining. To me that is silly. The man in the dress short outfit looked 100% better then the jeans man. I think that the Venetian policy should either be dressier or forgotten.

And it's good to know not all the ships are living to the double standard. I'm just letting you know what the site says, so people can be prepared, if they encounter a MDR that does enforce it. Then again, the site says that Bermuda attire, including high dark socks with sandals (gak! does anyone actually want to dress that way?) are fine. Go figure.

DML

The Bermuda dress shorts and socks are not worn with sandals from what I understand. It is usually loafers or a dress shoe. Have you seen this outfit worn on Bermuda? I think it looks fantastic when done right. Although my 6'3 skinny husband probably could not pull it off.

Actually, they can, but apparently, they choose not to. In the same way, an office I worked in required men to wear closed-toe shoes, but women were not so required. It was their office dress code.

DML

Am I correct that you've never cruised on NCL? If so, I suggest you listen closely to those who have cruised NCL for years and know the realities of the ins and outs of NCL cruising and pay less attention to what the web site says. For another example of some of the garbage on their site, if you were to believe what NCL's site says, their ships dock at Kings Wharf in Bermuda. No...they dock at Heritage Wharf (99.999% of the time), and have ever since Heritage Wharf was built.

NCL's site can be out of touch with the reality of their ship operations. IMO, their web site is one of the weakest parts of their operation and always has been.

I just got off of the Dawn and IMO the dress "code" is ridiculous. I saw a man turned away from Venetian in dress shorts and a button down but another man in jeans and a t-shirt style shirt was dining. To me that is silly. The man in the dress short outfit looked 100% better then the jeans man. I think that the Venetian policy should either be dressier or forgotten.

I agree that someone screwed up. The dress code specifically says collared shirt. I wouldn't have a problem with someone in (for instance) a cable-knit or dress sweater in cool weather or something like that, even business casual with pressed jeans, a pristine white t-shirt and a blazer over it... But a t-shirt is sport/casual and doesn't belong at dinner in the MDR, IMO.

DML

Archived