messina to Taormina-no shorts/long pants?

t00thpix

We did the standard tour to Taormina a few weeks ago. You don't go into any churches but they are there if you want to.

We just walked along the streets, visited the Greek Ampitheatre and had free time to shop and/or eat and then go back to the ship. Our tour was about 4 hours.

Just so you aren't limited (and not able to go inside a church)- don't wear anything revealing your shoulders or knees. Most tourists I encountered in Europe even in the heat of summer had on skirts or long pants.

• 3 weeks later...
Is there any practical thing to carry along to cover shoulders?

A shawl? A scarf? What size is best?

A lot of people have said they take a large scarf/pashmina with them and use it as needed. Personally, I prefer to just wear a lightweight shirt with sleeves rather than add a second layer in the heat.

Hi , do men have to have their knees covered as well?

If the requirement is because of entry into a church or other religious place, then yes, men also have to cover their knees (i.e., no shorts).

You might want to check the exact tour itinerary when you get on the ship. To simply go to Taormina (which is a major resort town) would certainly not preclude wearing shorts. There are some churches in Taormina but I do not recall any facility of note. If its a warm day there will be plenty of other tourists in the city wearing short although short-shorts are not all that common in Italy. DW normally loves to wear Capris for touring in Sicily and most of Europe.

Hank

Archived