15 day Hawaii cruise with 8 year old twins...carnival or celebrity?

crAZytwinmomma

I am trying to read through past posts but would love some more insight.

We are debating whether to do the Celebrity cruise or the Carnival one.

We will be going in October 2013 and my twin girls will be 8.

We have done two Carnival 7 day cruises when they were 5 & 7 and they were great. They liked Camp Carnival and we had great family excursions and family time as well. On the ship, they also liked the mini golf and pools and slide.

Carnival cruise means they would miss 2 weeks of school since it sails after their fall break. Celebrity means they would only miss 1 week since it sails during their fall break. We loved Carnival Splendor and would love the "credit" for the 15 day cruise to add to our cruising points and we already know the kids program but we are wondering if we should try something else?

On Carnival we did the late dining and we usually had the girls eat on the lido deck with us as company family time, then they wanted to go to Camp Carnival while we had our formal late dining. Usually we'd pick them up at Camp Carnival at the end of our dining and we'd eat dessert together in the formal dining room. They also picked 1 or 2 "late owl" kid parties which they enjoyed.

Any thoughts from those who have had experience on this 15 day Hawaiian cruise from Carnival or Celebrity? pros? cons?

There are quite a few reviews for Century (which I think is the Celebrity ship that you're considering) for the Hawaii itinerary. This one talks about the kids programs: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=112394

I like the looks of the Carnival itinerary better as it has 5 days in Hawaii instead of 4, and includes Kauai.

Another thought ... a land trip will give you flexibility in your dates (i.e. to work with your children's school break) and give you more time in Hawaii. There are some great options for accommodations such as: http://www.honuakai.com/Accommodations.aspx

We debated a land trip for just our family of 4 but once my parents and inlaws want to join in, it gets too complicated with costs...hotels, meals, etc. it gets awkward on who is doing what, when, where and with whom and the cruise with a kids program is ideal! Flights adds a lot more $ and puts it out of our budget.

With a cruise it is so easy to mix everyone together, then going separate ways then meeting up at dinner time. It doesn't matter if we like to be on the go by 7am while other family members sleep till 11am. My Dh looks forward to not having to cook for everyone since that is what usually happens. A cruise is the way to go for everyone to enjoy the vacation with a blend of family time, together time and space as needed.

I think after this cruise we would consider going on a future land trip with just our family of four to whatever seemed to be a favorite spot....

There are quite a few reviews for Century (which I think is the Celebrity ship that you're considering) for the Hawaii itinerary. This one talks about the kids programs: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=112394

I like the looks of the Carnival itinerary better as it has 5 days in Hawaii instead of 4, and includes Kauai.

Another thought ... a land trip will give you flexibility in your dates (i.e. to work with your children's school break) and give you more time in Hawaii. There are some great options for accommodations such as: http://www.honuakai.com/Accommodations.aspx

I didn't realize the 4 vs 5 days on the island. That is a good point. I will check out that other link. Thanks!

I didn't realize the 4 vs 5 days on the island. That is a good point. I will check out that other link. Thanks!

You're welcome.:)

Just to clarify ... the Carnival cruise goes to 4 islands - Maui, Oahu, Kauai and the Island of Hawaii (one day each on the east and west side).

Celebrity - Maui, Oahu, and Island of Hawaii (one day each on east & west sides).

10 sea days on Celebrity, 9 on Carnival.

Is it possible to fly to Hawaii and begin your cruise there? Instead of so many sea days you would have beach days. Just a thought. Cherie

The cost of 4 to fly versus driving to port makes flying out of our budget. If we could add plane tickets to our vacation option we might choose an all together different cruise ;)

Any thoughts from those who have had experience on this 15 day Hawaiian cruise from Carnival or Celebrity? pros? cons?

Short of it:

Celebrity costs more, less kid friendly, and less ports/islands.

Carnival costs less, more ports/islands, and you already know your twins experience on prior Carnival cruises.

• 2 months later...
The cost of 4 to fly versus driving to port makes flying out of our budget. If we could add plane tickets to our vacation option we might choose an all together different cruise ;)

Just wondering which cruise you decided to book. We are considering the October 22 cruise RT Hawaii with Celebrity this fall with my 8 year old son. My concern is how many children will be on the cruise at that time in the children's center. Interested in your thoughts.

We had booked Carnival and planned to do that while keeping our options open by looking for deals. We chose carnival because my kids look forward to camp carnival events and that makes all of our vacation fun with special memories and stories to tell. I also really liked the 6-8 age grouping they were in last cruise and they would have been in that same group.

And what do you know?! Plane tickets dropped to the lowest we have seen it in 2 years since we have been watching. Plus my family said they'd join us if we flew and didn't cruise (my mom is just not a cruiser). So we canceled our cruise for a full refund, booked plane tickets and booked a house on the beach that we are splitting the cost with family.

We won't get to see all the islands but we will miss less school and have a multigenerational vacation that wouldn't have been possible with cruising.

Happy planning!

It seems like a no brainer -- Carnival!

Celebrity used to have five port days, but went to four when the Century started doing it.

We had a great time on the Century last month to Hawaii, but we have no kids and there were not very many aboard.

Aloha!

Archived