Fourth of July aboard ship?

DMLyons

I know NCL does holidays aboard for the big holidays...Christmas, New Years... What about Fourth of July/Independence Day? Anyone sailed over the holiday before? Anything special they do on the ships to celebrate? Just wondering.

Thanks in advance.

DML

Since the ships' sail multi national and are not US flagged, and frequently a very large portions of the guests are not from the US, and the 4th is an exclusive US event, I would be surprised if the 4th was recognized. The other holidays mentioned have much larger world wide following.

Since the ships' sail multi national and are not US flagged, and frequently a very large portions of the guests are not from the US, and the 4th is an exclusive US event, I would be surprised if the 4th was recognized. The other holidays mentioned have much larger world wide following.

Well I wouldn't call the upcoming national handegg finale (I think it was Supra Bowl or something like that :p :D :D :D) very non-US either and it's noted onboard. Even when there is no large event, you sometimes can't hide from the baseball/basketball/handegg programs from public TVs while on board. While there are other nationalities too, the majority of passengers (especially on cruises departing from US) are still from US.

At least I don't mind, you know what they say: When in Rome... :)

We sailed on the Dawn on July 4th, 2011 from NYC to Bermuda. Nope, nothing was done for the 4th of July. I had thought maybe we would sail a little closer to shore at least to see some fireworks, but there was nothing. There wasn't even anything special that I remember with any of the food.

We sailed on the Spirit back in '11 and they did put up decor flags, red/white/blue ribbons, etc. here and there. If I hadn't been at a bar during the morning (:o) and asked to move over a bit while they were hanging some of these decorations, I don't think I would have ever noticed.

It was very lightly decorated...Nothing crazy. In fact, thinking back, I think they had a specialty drink that day as well to celebrate the 4th but it was all a bit hazy. :p:D

When DH and I sailed on the Pride of America, embarkation day was the 4th of July. The ship was decorated, they had a BBQ lunch, and the ship sailed slowly by Waikiki beach after sunset (the POA normally sails late anyway) so that we could see the fireworks. They had Yankee Doodle and other patriotic music playing on the loudspeakers during the fireworks. It was a nice moment.

It may be that they do more on POA because it is an American flagged ship. They had a lot of military families on board that week, too, who were visiting family stationed in Hawaii. It was really interesting to meet some of them.

We sailed on the Dawn on July 4th, 2011 from NYC to Bermuda. Nope, nothing was done for the 4th of July. I had thought maybe we would sail a little closer to shore at least to see some fireworks, but there was nothing. There wasn't even anything special that I remember with any of the food.

Thanks much! I didn't really expect that there would be, unless it was glow sticks and a cookout on deck (which I've heard they do sometimes...grin). But I suddenly realized it was going to be when we were on the ship and was interested.

DML

When DH and I sailed on the Pride of America, embarkation day was the 4th of July. The ship was decorated, they had a BBQ lunch, and the ship sailed slowly by Waikiki beach after sunset (the POA normally sails late anyway) so that we could see the fireworks. They had Yankee Doodle and other patriotic music playing on the loudspeakers during the fireworks. It was a nice moment.

It may be that they do more on POA because it is an American flagged ship. They had a lot of military families on board that week, too, who were visiting family stationed in Hawaii. It was really interesting to meet some of them.

THAT makes perfect sense. Not so much the fact that it's American flagged, but well...look at the name of the ship! ;)

DML

Archived