Homer or Seward? or can we do both?

Oldnslow1

I am interested in recommendations from folks that have been to both Homer and the Seward areas. We arrive in ANC and get the rental car around noon on Monday and then we are scheduled to be in Denali on Thursday morning so have about three days to spend before the trip back. Do we have time to visit only Homer or only Seward? if so, what is your recommendation? We fish a lot at home so we will not take any time eating excursions to fish. Any ideas?

Well it is a little over 200 miles between Anchorage and Homer - which would take a little over 4 hrs with no stops. Homer to Seward is also around 200 miles so again another 4 hr. Anchorage to Seward is around 125 mi so it is another 2hrs or so.

So the total trip is a little over 500 miles and would take over 10 hours to drive. The schedule could look something like this

Mon - drive to Homer - 5hrs overnight

Tue - sightsee in Homer then drive to Seward - 4hrs - overnight

Wed drive back to Anchorage 2 hrs and then I suggest that you continue north towards Denali and overnight in Talkeeta which is another 2 hrs north. It will make your driving time to Denali a mere 4 more hours instead of 6.

Given the drive times, I don't thnk you can do both. Well, you could, but it would be a drive-by visit; 3 days of solid driving.

With no stops, it's a 5 hr drive from Anchorage to Denali so that pretty much takes care of Wednesday. Anchorage to Homer is also 5 hrs each way. Seward is only 2 1/2 hrs from Anchorage so that would be the easiest destination. It really depends on your travel style, how you want to spend your time. Are there any activities or sights you're interested in at either location?

MON - Leave Anc at noon. Scenic drive to Seward. Maybe stop at the Wildlife Conservation Center. Dinner, wander around the harbor.

http://alaska.org/driving/seward-drive.htm

TUE - explore Seward for most of the day but leave late afternoon to overnight around Girdwood (1 hr south of Anc) to give a head start on the Denali drive.

WED - Girdwood to Denali 6 hrs plus any stops. Maybe detour to Talkeetna for lunch. Walk around town and to the river.

http://alaska.org/driving/denali-drive.htm

I've been to both towns ... both have a lot to offer. But it's not a typical freeway drive. The Sterling and Seward Hwys are only 2 lanes and some segments are only 45mph, plus traffic can be heavy and slow.

Yes certainly traffic can be heavy and slow out of Anchorage to the south along Turnagain Arm (my favorite place in the world) with the 2 towns in question being accessed only by 2 lane roads.

Any sort of traffic issues,accidents, foul weather etc can slow things to a crawl/stop.

I've also been stuck in Homer in heavy fog and had to wait until the road was opened. We bunched up in a parking lot waiting for the signal to go out of Homer.

Summer in Alaska is also construction season. Road construction.

I'd definitely "do" the Kenai Peninsula.................and, Seward has a lot to offer.

Last year I got a Groupon and we had the absolutely BEST Sled Dog/Helicopter tour for half price. Someone on CC posted that the Groupon was "on".................:p Seward has a GREAT aquarium and you can hike Exit Glacier AND you can take a boat tour to see tidewater glaciers and animal life.

I picked my son up at the Anch. airport at 2:45 A.M. (yes) and we headed south on the peninsula as we had a lot ot see and do before our cruise. We went down to Homer and then back up to Sterline and across and down to Seward to our wonderful B and B.

The peninsula is much like where we live, but so special in its own way.

ENJOY!!

If the OP tries to do both Homer and Seward it will be just a "drive through" sort of experience. I would pick the one which is most personally appealing, and just do one.

I actually like both communities. Seward has the Sea Life Center, Kenai Fjords boat trips, and Exit Glacier. To me Homer feels a little more edgy, arty and funky. Homer has the beautiful Katchemak Bay, lots of little art galleries and shops, the Pratt Museum and great trips to Seldovia. Good luck choosing between the two!

Do both. I live here and if I had relatives coming to visit I'd encourage them to see much as they can. From your post you get here on a Monday. You won't have to deal with all the weekend traffic going to/from Anchorage to Kenai. It'll make a big difference. With the added daylight we have here I encourage people to take advantage of it. Stop in Ninilchick and take a look at the church. They are open for public tours and it's well worth it.

Ninilchik_Church_zps72bf9378.jpg

It would be a better use of your time to rent the car in Whittier upon disembarkation and head to the Kenai Peninsula from there. Whittier is about half way between Anchorage and Seward and you’ll be backtracking if you go to Anchorage to rent the car only to drive back down to Seward & Homer passing the Whittier exit along the way. You’d have no problem being in Seward before noon and could actually make it to Homer by noon which, now, is your anticipated time to pick up the rental in Anchorage. The down side is you will have a hefty drop fee in Anchorage at the end of your trip.

Archived