Cell phones work in U.S. ports?

wyaracing

We're leaving on the Explorer next week, so I was wondering if our smart phones will work while on board in port without being charged for using the ships wifi?

And when we dock in Port Canaveral, FL, can we use them again?

I've heard different rumors both ways. Some saying the ship turns off its wifi when in a U.S. port, and others saying you need to be a mile away from the ship to get out of their wifi range?

We're leaving on the Explorer next week, so I was wondering if our smart phones will work while on board in port without being charged for using the ships wifi?

I've heard different rumors both ways. Some saying the ship turns off its wifi when in a U.S. port, and others saying you need to be a mile away from the ship to get out of their wifi range?

The ship turns off it's cell service when in port. Normally, thr ships cell service does not start until the ship is a few miles offshore. In any case, you should be able to tell what cell service your phone is using by it's display. For example, I have AT&T, and when my phone is on the ship's cell service, my display says "Cellular at Sea".

First, your phone or any other device will never automatically hook up to paid wifi, there's always a permission/pay page you have to go through on your browser. (Exception: If you have bought a package, logged in, and allowed some kind of automatic login, your phone may log on and download data using your minutes.)

Second, if you're worried, just turn off wifi in settings and any access you have will be via cell through your carrier (which will work fine in a US port naturally.)

I generally put my phone on airplane mode as soon as we undock, not sure how far out signal goes but why worry?

my phone worked in Florida a few years ago, and it worked on normal ATT (without any extra charges) in St. John's and in Puerto Rico last summer. As soon as we were close enough to port, my phone was able to connect to ATT!

edit:I also used my phone on each island in Hawaii on a cruise. We would stay on our phones until the service was down to one bar, and then turn it off for the night. When we woke up in Port the next morning, our phones would work again!

The ship's wifi stays on in port. However the ship's phone service will be turned off when you are in range of land based cell services.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smart phones with US plans work anywhere in the US without additional fees. Also, we use ours in Puerto Rico and St Thomas with no extra charges, including for email and other data. I've used mine onboard in US ports and the ships' system has been turned off. Also, as a pp said, your phone will show whether you are on cellular at sea also. Heck, when we're on Enchantment sailing down the Chesapeake, there is cellular service until you get out of range. There are a few pockets with no signal, but they do not have the ships' system on then.

Smart phones with US plans work anywhere in the US without additional fees. Also, we use ours in Puerto Rico and St Thomas with no extra charges, including for email and other data. I've used mine onboard in US ports and the ships' system has been turned off. Also, as a pp said, your phone will show whether you are on cellular at sea also. Heck, when we're on Enchantment sailing down the Chesapeake, there is cellular service until you get out of range. There are a few pockets with no signal, but they do not have the ships' system on then.

Just noting that this does not apply to all carriers. I know AT&T considers St. Thomas to be the same as domestic US, but I don't believe this applies to Verizon. As always, it's best to confirm with each carrier.

My AT&T works on on domestic call status up to about 5 miles out to sea out of Port

Canaveral. It also worked in all the ports in Hawaii, Alaska, PR, and the US Virgina Islands.

No extra fee. My phones internet service was available for no extra charge also.

The AT&T website has a coverage map you can pull up that is helpful also.

Nice being able to take pictures in port and send them to relatives immediatedly! :)

Archived