Taxi from Hyatt Place Ft Lauderdale airport to port?

woostercruise

We are staying at the Hyatt Place Ft Lauderdale Airport and Cruise Port the night before our cruise on Independence of the Seas departing Sunday, March 10. I thought it would be easier to just get a taxi from the hotel to the port instead of a shuttle. However, there was a recent review where someone had difficulty getting a taxi despite calling one. I guess the taxis would just pick up the first to flag them down. Now it was a different hotel in the review. Any suggestions? Would I be better off with a shuttle? Thanks for any help!

I have never had a problem getting a taxi in FL airport.

The OP asked about getting a taxi from the hotel to the port. Not sure about the Hyatt, but we use a taxi from the hotel rather than a shuttle. If there's a concierge he will call one for you, otherwise just phone for one.

We've taken a taxi from Hyatt Place before, and what you've heard/ready is true . . . it's an absolute zoo in front of that hotel on cruise morning. After trying to get booked on their shuttle, the earliest they could get us out was 2 p.m.! We decided to have the front desk call a taxi, because we didn't want to wait that long, so they ordered it under our name. Needless to say, when the cab showed up, the throng of people jumped in and tried to grab it. When he said he was looking for "John", they all said, "I'm John!" We were able to get our taxi, but we always thought, "there's got to be a better way!"

My thought would be to call the taxi from your room . . . do not let the front desk do it for you. Also, if possible, have them pick you up away from the front lobby area. Maybe out on the street? Once you get there, you'll know "the lay of the land" and can best judge where a good area would be, but I would totally stay away from the driveway leading up to the lobby area.

Good news is that a taxi will only cost you approximately $15 plus tip. I think we gave the driver a $20 and called it good. We were on the ship 3 hours before their shuttle would have even left the hotel!

BTW, we'll be on Independence when you get off! Have fun!

We just stayed at this Hyatt Place before our cruise last week and used the shuttle service with no problems. When we checked in, they asked us what time we would like to leave and we told them 11:00. We arrived in the lobby around 10:45 and had no issues, other than we thought the shuttle service was included but it was $8.00 each. No big deal but thought they should let you know up front that it's an extra charge.

We also will be staying there before our cruise next month. I also thought the shuttle to the ship was included in the hotel charge. Did you take a taxi to the hotel from the airport or did the hotel shuttle pick you up?

How was the hotel we have never stayed there before:)

Shuttle from this hotel used to be free, now they charge for it. If you are 3 or more it is cheaper to take a taxi.

When we went to this hotel we booked a shuttle for 12h30, we were earlier as were others booked so at this time so we left around 12h20. Did see some taxis come and go. Did not see any of what the previous cruiser described.

Sorry it didn't go well for him.

We also will be staying there before our cruise next month. I also thought the shuttle to the ship was included in the hotel charge. Did you take a taxi to the hotel from the airport or did the hotel shuttle pick you up?

How was the hotel we have never stayed there before:)

The hotel is very nice & modern...each guest room has a sectional couch, microwave, fridge, and large flat-screen t.v. that you can see from either the sitting area or the bed. We took the hotel shuttle from the airport, and it was free (other than tip). They had a nice breakfast buffett also which is included. I also liked the fact that the hotel shuttle would take you to a number of area restaurants, shopping areas, etc. They would just drop you off and tell you to call when you were ready to be picked up. The shopping center is very close, but if you're carrying cases of water, soda, etc. it is nice to be picked up when you're finished shopping!

We just booked there for 2 nights before our Freedom cruise in June....What is close to it???Is there somewhere to eat and get a case of water from that is walk able????Thanks!!!!:)

Hi Abby and Nathan's mom...I probably just answered your questions in my last post above :) There are several restaurants and a large shopping center just a couple of blocks away. We walked to K-Mart to get bottled water and walked back with it, but by then we were tired so the hotel shuttle took us to TGIFriday's and dropped us off. When we were finished eating, I called the front desk and they were there to pick us up within 10 minutes. It is a very nice free service that they offer...

If you head out the back door, walk down the street 1/4 block and thru the parking lot on you left there are a ton of places. Supermarket, many food venues. (Duffy's) Another short walk to Total Wine. Just ask the front desk to direct you. They are very nice. :)

We are staying at the Hyatt Place Ft Lauderdale Airport and Cruise Port the night before our cruise on Independence of the Seas departing Sunday, March 10. I thought it would be easier to just get a taxi from the hotel to the port instead of a shuttle. However, there was a recent review where someone had difficulty getting a taxi despite calling one. I guess the taxis would just pick up the first to flag them down. Now it was a different hotel in the review. Any suggestions? Would I be better off with a shuttle? Thanks for any help!

Which Hyatt Place, north or south?

Archived