Freedom PHOTO Trip Review to ARUBA, GRAND TURK, DR, & CURACAO

mpcaruth

Greta review! Fantastic photos! Would you happen to have more of the ship?

Yes, I posted more Freedom ship photos in my Panama review, so I didn't post as many on this review. The ship had not changed from our first cruise. It is my understanding that the Freedom will be receiving an extensive upgrade/renovation this spring.

Freedom ship photos begin on page 1:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1347741

question about Seavis. We are on the Breeze next month. I booked Seavis last June The email reply just was a copy of info form I filled out to them on their site.

Is this their usual reservation?

I suggest you follow up with Seavis' email. I recall receiving directions to walk to the top of the hill and look for "x", the transportation company. The transportation company will take the group to the Seavis hut on Bayahibe beach.

Thanks for a wonderful review....may be copying you at every stop you made it loos so good.

Question: can you describe more where you shopped for trinkets in Aruba?

You're welcome. This truly was a great itinerary! Now to jog my memory...I think is was located about 2 blocks from the ship. It was across the street from the parking lot they dropped us off at the end of the Jeep excursion. It was on a main tourist thoroughfare, and should be easy to find. It consisted of a side walk area with shopping stalls on each side.

GREAT Review and PICTURES !!!

Thank you for posting!

We will do the same itinerary August 16th:)

Thanks! Enjoy your cruise in August!

Great review with beautiful pictures! My favorites were the beach/surf/sky shot at Grand Turk and the tiny crab on the hand.

Thank you for taking the time to post!

I use CruiseCritic so much when planning my cruise that I try to give back and help others plan with my reviews. The crab in my hand is my favorite too!

I agree; but all her shots were beautiful! Would like to have some as desktop wallpapers.

Wow - desktop wallpaper? Thank you very much!

Although I rarely read or enjoy photo reviews, this was a wonderful exception. I believe OP's excellent organization contributed greatly. It is so easy to go directly to any section of interest, and to skip what might be of less interest (for me, for example, the pre-cruise part).

A couple of comments. It appears the beach photographed on Grand Turk is the small isolated beach front across the pier from Margaritaville, where development is not permitted and consequently there are few people. That makes sense, since OP was conch shell hunting (and, with no view of the pier, the ocean is on the right :)). Most of the beach is on the same side of the pier as Margaritaville, with lots of interesting concessionaires, and lots of people.

I was particularly interested in Curacao, as it is one of the few Caribbean cruise ports we have somehow never made. The underwater photos were beautiful and also, for me, very sad. We have always been avid snorkelers, but my doctor (and my wife) have forbidden me from taking any more cruises, let alone snorkeling, so I will only be able to see these sights through your eyes.

In the right locations, there is excellent snorkeling in Aruba. My favorite activity is passing with considerable care into isolated reef canyons (as long as you can back out again :)), which you can find there.

Thank you, OP, for an excellent job.

Although I rarely read or enjoy photo reviews, this was a wonderful exception. I believe OP's excellent organization contributed greatly. It is so easy to go directly to any section of interest, and to skip what might be of less interest (for me, for example, the pre-cruise part).

A couple of comments. It appears the beach photographed on Grand Turk is the small isolated beach front across the pier from Margaritaville, where development is not permitted and consequently there are few people. That makes sense, since OP was conch shell hunting (and, with no view of the pier, the ocean is on the right :)). Most of the beach is on the same side of the pier as Margaritaville, with lots of interesting concessionaires, and lots of people.

I was particularly interested in Curacao, as it is one of the few Caribbean cruise ports we have somehow never made. The underwater photos were beautiful and also, for me, very sad. We have always been avid snorkelers, but my doctor (and my wife) have forbidden me from taking any more cruises, let alone snorkeling, so I will only be able to see these sights through your eyes.

In the right locations, there is excellent snorkeling in Aruba. My favorite activity is passing with considerable care into isolated reef canyons (as long as you can back out again :)), which you can find there.

Thank you, OP, for an excellent job.

Thank you! I am so sorry to hear you are not allowed to do something that you love: cruising and snorkeling. We just got back from a cruise last week and snorkeled in Roatan and Costa Maya. I have tons of underwater photos. There was something similar to the reef canyon you are talking about at Maya Key in Roatan. The kids were following me snorkeling and I had to back out with the two right behind blocking my way. There was also about a 50' drop off there, and the water was clear and beautiful.

You are correct about the orientation of the beach at Grand Turk. Turn right at the dock and head towards the secluded area. I always love venturing off the beaten path.

Honestly, I think you would have a very difficult time climbing the ladder at the star fish stop. I am basing this on observation of my Mom and her limited mobility/flexibility following her knee replacements. I suggest you contact Seavis and see if they have a boat that has special access for limited mobility. They have a Facebook Page and a web site: https://www.facebook.com/SeavisTours

http://www.seavisbayahibe.com/

Also, I noticed a few folks staying on the boat at the starfish stop, so that may be an option for you. Stay on the boat and watch others hunt for starfish, while you enjoy the rum cake and punch!

Thank you for such an honest answer..I now feel better knowing that it is most likely not a possibility so won't be disappointed if I can't..

I will contact Seavis and inquire..again thanks for posting such an awesome review with fantastic pictures

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Great review and photos ...we're on the same ship and same itinerary in August..and we're doing the Seavis tour as well.. after seeing the pics i know we made the right choice ...

You will enjoy the Seavis tour! The Dominican Republic has some of the most beautiful vistas and beaches I have ever seen.

• 2 months later...
I agree; but all her shots were beautiful! Would like to have some as desktop wallpapers.

You took the words right out of my mouth! I literally was thinking that a lot of these photos were wallpaper worthy and made me want to up my game a bit to match their quality. I'm heading out on the Breeze with this same itinerary and am now considering bringing along my DSLR instead of just the Olympus TG-3. A lot of these photos are a perfect capture of a moment in time that will feed your memories for many years to come. I'm kinda jealous with regard to your artistic ability.

Thanks for the review on Seavis. I'm a bit torn on what to do in DR because I've heard so much about Seavis but I've heard a number of recent reports of bees all over Saono. As someone who is allergic, I'd prefer to stay away and have decided to just head over to the Dreams resort. These photos, however, are making it hard to stay with that decision.

Thanks BadBoy! I didn't take my dslr camera on our last cruise (short 5-day to Bahamas), and I regretted it. I used my point ant shoot, but it was just not the same. I am thinking about getting the TG-3. What's your opinion for action and underwater shots?

Thanks BadBoy! I didn't take my dslr camera on our last cruise (short 5-day to Bahamas), and I regretted it. I used my point ant shoot, but it was just not the same. I am thinking about getting the TG-3. What's your opinion for action and underwater shots?

I'll have to let you know. I have yet to take one shot since it's a new camera and I just unboxed it. The TG-3 will be replacing my older Olympus 770SW. I loved that camera but it really was time for an upgrade.

My plan is to take a good number of shots in these next two weeks so that I'm not learning it on vacation.

• 1 month later...

We did this tour a couple of weeks ago and when they say bumpy they mean bumpy. Make sure your seat belt is tight and and hang on. The last bump the driver hollered back it was a doozy so I hung on but when we hit I bounced up and hit my head on the roll bar and ended up with both a goose egg and a black and blue ear. Got to the lighthouse and he went and got me ice for my head. Also my hubby's sunglasses flew off (lucky for him he took an old pair that if something happened to them it wouldn't be a big lose). We taking the Breeze on this itinerary next October and plan on doing this tour again. Oh to make matters worse, the battery in my camera died just as we got to the Ostrich farm so no pictures till I got back on ship and charged it. That just gives me a reason to go back. :)