Which Ziplining is the best "bang for your buck"?

kellyrnh

Hi all!

We are looking to zipline in Roatan in a couple weeks. I am debating on ziplining at either

1) the Zipline Express (aka Zip n Clip) for $59

2) Pirates Zip n Dip Extreme for $65 (or extemely extreme for $85, but trying to keep costs down)

3) Victor Bodden zip n dip for $65

4) South Shore Canopy zip n dip for $60

Anyone have any opinions? I am leaning towards 2, 3 or 4 since we get to check out other parts of Roatan for the same or a few dollars more than the Zipline Express right at the port. But if someone thinks they are the best I can be swayed :)

Thanks!

We did Clip N Zip 2 weeks ago and really enjoyed it. We only paid $45 when we walked up with no reservation; however, if you're on Carnival I believe you have to book thru them and pay the $60. We were the first ones there at 8:30 and got right thru the course in about 45 minutes. That left the rest of the day to do beach or whatever. We were finishing our zipline and there were tons of people still lining up to the leave the port for their day of excursions, so we felt like we got a jump on things.

I haven't done the other zips so I can't tell you anything there, but we liked the Clip N Zip option since it was literally right there at the pier and we had plenty of time to do other things. We've been to Roatan before and seen the other parts of the island, so that wasn't an issue for this trip. We just enjoyed the free beach afternoon at Mahogany.

Hi there,

Just got back yesterday night from a 7 day NCL "Star" Caribbean cruise. We did the Extreme Ziplining on Thursday at Pirates. My DH didn't tell me it was extreme ziplining (probably cuz he knew I wouldn't have done it) and it was great fun. I however, cried (I mean really cried at the first point and had an anxiety attack) but I cry every time I'm trying something extreme for the first time ie; he talked me into going gliding on the island of Oahu (but he didn't mention the plane had no engine until we were soaring over the ocean). Anyway, our guide which I am so sorry I did not get his name, was wonderful. He didn't force me to go until I was ready...on one of the zips, you have to lay almost completely vertical and I was really scared, so what does he do...he zipped with me, Thank God! He was extremely patient and understanding. I pretty much had my eyes closed through most of it...but when I did manage to force one eye open I will admit it was fun. One word of caution, I somehow left my money in my beach bag zipped in an inside pocket in the van that took us there (he was our driver all day) again, didn't get his name either, and upon arrival at the next destination which was a hotel/resort beach realized $200 was taken out of my bag. I normally put the money in my bathing suit skirt which has a zippered pocket but for some stupid reason, this time I didn't and $200 was gone. Not sure who got it, but it was either the driver, or if he walked away, one of the employees. So be careful and keep all your money WITH YOU. They did not take my camera which was worth more than the money, so I am grateful for that. Somehow my pictures and memories are worth more to me than $200. I heard that electricity on the island is horribly expensive, maybe that is the reason. I figure, if you need it that bad, that you risk reviews such as this, and potentially ruining any future business, then have at it. Hope this helps...Have fun!

We are also looking to do a zip & dip in Roatan. We did Victor Bodden's zipling 2 years ago & really liked it. We are trying to decide which zip & dip to do. I don't think I would do the zip at the dock. Anyone else have any input, good or bad, on ziplining tours?

So we haven't decided and we are a few days away from leaving for our trip :D

We are thinking of just playing it by ear, since at the very least we can zipline at the zip n clip without reservations, right? Does anyone know if any of the other outfits will have people offering their zip lines at the port without reservations? If so, are the prices the same?

Thanks!

We've done the pirates Extremely Extreme twice, and it is great. I've never been on any of the others, so I can't comment on them, but I did see one that was cut out of a forested area behind the Bodden monkey farm that looked tame in comparison to Pirates.

Pirates claims they are the longest (or highest, or something like that) in the Western Hemisphere. Note that the exterme course is a mix of "ropes course" and zips, but the Extremely extreme is all zips. I'll second the previous post that the guides there are very helpful, friendly, patient, and fun.

We did Number 4 (south shore) in September and loved it!! In the van on the way to zip the driver told us all about the island and even drove us down the beach for a ways. We left our stuff in lockers while zipping so everything was safe. The zipping was really fun!! They let you do different things (go upside down or head first) if you want. I forget how many lines there were but when talking to others on different excursions it seemed like we had more. Then we went to a gorgeous beach with turquoise water and relaxed. We got a free drink from the bar there and you could eat as well but we opted for the water. There are quite a few locals selling things but they weren't too aggressive. On the way back to the port we were able to see the other side of the island too. So we got a full narrated tour along with our zip and dip! We stopped a couple times for pics as well at overlooks. Oh and there was a boy with a pet monkey you could get pics with at the zip place.

I have been on clip n zip2 years ago and just returned this week from cruise we used Southshore this time since you can no longer use clip n zip unless you go through the cruiseline. I can tell you 100% Southshore was better, the lines(*between platforms) were longer, scenery more lush the guides were FANTASTIC!! another awesome perk was that while they do have a photographer, one of the guides will take YOUR camera and go ahead of you and take pics of you while you are coming down. No charge for that! I cant remeber exactly what we had to pay for pics at clipnzip but i do remeber it being $$$. we did tip the guides $20 at the end they worked so hard. no i am not affiliated with Southshore Im a mom from New orleans who couldnt be more pleased with her experience!

I have been on clip n zip2 years ago and just returned this week from cruise we used Southshore this time since you can no longer use clip n zip unless you go through the cruiseline. I can tell you 100% Southshore was better, the lines(*between platforms) were longer, scenery more lush the guides were FANTASTIC!! another awesome perk was that while they do have a photographer, one of the guides will take YOUR camera and go ahead of you and take pics of you while you are coming down. No charge for that! I cant remeber exactly what we had to pay for pics at clipnzip but i do remeber it being $$$. we did tip the guides $20 at the end they worked so hard. no i am not affiliated with Southshore Im a mom from New orleans who couldnt be more pleased with her experience!

Not true about Clip N' Zip! We zipped there 4 weeks ago and DID NOT book thru the cruise ship. We were on the Crown Princess and just walked up, paid our money, and zipped. No reservation necessary.

Interesting about clip n zip that they let you do that because we fully intended to go back there but their website clearly states to book through your ship excursion and they said the same thing when I emailed them. I guess thats their little secret. I did find it hard to believe they would trun down business at their door but didnt want to take the chance. Anyway Southshore was still better it was more "in the trees" .

After reading this, I am thinking about using South Shore for the zip & dip. They go to Foster's West Bay Beach Bar & Restaurant after the ziplining. Can anyone tell me anything about this beach? Is it a nice beach or is it a restuarant in front of the beach? We are going with kids, so I don't want to just sit at a bar. Can you get lounge chairs?

There is a restaurant but there is plenty of beach in front of it. I think it's one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen. I don't think there are lounge chairs but we spent all of our time in the gorgeous water anyway. There are a few locals trying to sell things but once you let them know you aren't interested they move on.

There is a restaurant but there is plenty of beach in front of it. I think it's one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen. I don't think there are lounge chairs but we spent all of our time in the gorgeous water anyway. There are a few locals trying to sell things but once you let them know you aren't interested they move on.

We are thinking of booking the South Shore Zip N Dip and are wondering if there are lockers or somewhere to store your "stuff" while you are in the water? Did you eat there and, if so, how was it? How long did you have at the beach?

Thanks

There are lockers to store your stuff I think if you put in a few quarters you get the key. I don't remember how much it was but it wasn't more than a dollar. We didn't eat at the zip place or at the restaurant but you could. They had a snack shop at south shore. I think we were at the beach for an hour or two but we had a rather large zip grouping so maybe you would have longer depending on group size.

• 3 weeks later...
We did Clip N Zip 2 weeks ago and really enjoyed it. We only paid $45 when we walked up with no reservation; however, if you're on Carnival I believe you have to book thru them and pay the $60. We were the first ones there at 8:30 and got right thru the course in about 45 minutes. That left the rest of the day to do beach or whatever. We were finishing our zipline and there were tons of people still lining up to the leave the port for their day of excursions, so we felt like we got a jump on things.

I haven't done the other zips so I can't tell you anything there, but we liked the Clip N Zip option since it was literally right there at the pier and we had plenty of time to do other things. We've been to Roatan before and seen the other parts of the island, so that wasn't an issue for this trip. We just enjoyed the free beach afternoon at Mahogany.

We are considering the Clip & Zip. Could you tell me more about how many steps up to each platform and if there is a weight limit. One person in my party has a slight mobility problem and is quite heavy. Thanks.

We are considering the Clip & Zip. Could you tell me more about how many steps up to each platform and if there is a weight limit. One person in my party has a slight mobility problem and is quite heavy. Thanks.

We did Clip n Zip last week while on a Princess cruise. They have no contract with Princess so you can just walk up and pay $45.

Suggest you email them about a weight limit. I don't recall anything in particular from the signs.

After you see the safety video and are suited up in the harness, you take a truck ride to the first zipline. The truck drops you off at the bottom of a hill that you have to climb. It's maybe a 3 or 4 minute walk, but up a fairly steep hill.

There weren't a lot of stairs to get to the zip platforms, maybe 10-20 steps at most for a few of the 10+ platforms. For most, you get off one and just transfer over to the next one. There are only a few where you go back down to the ground and walk over (and up) to the next platform.

I have just booked, but not yet experienced, the Pirates of the Caribbean Extremely Extreme Zip & Beach Break.

I think you may be interested in looking at their website. You asked about mobility and weight restrictions. While searching their information, I found pictures in their photo gallery of a man in a wheel chair doing the zip line! There website says: Canopy Tours have a weight limit of 375lbs with harnesses that fit up to size 66" waist and 44" thighs.

Hope this is helpful information.

I have just booked, but not yet experienced, the Pirates of the Caribbean Extremely Extreme Zip & Beach Break.

I think you may be interested in looking at their website. You asked about mobility and weight restrictions. While searching their information, I found pictures in their photo gallery of a man in a wheel chair doing the zip line! There website says: Canopy Tours have a weight limit of 375lbs with harnesses that fit up to size 66" waist and 44" thighs.

Hope this is helpful information.

Thanks for this information.......we appreciate it.

Hi all!

We are looking to zipline in Roatan in a couple weeks. I am debating on ziplining at either

1) the Zipline Express (aka Zip n Clip) for $59

2) Pirates Zip n Dip Extreme for $65 (or extemely extreme for $85, but trying to keep costs down)

3) Victor Bodden zip n dip for $65

4) South Shore Canopy zip n dip for $60

Anyone have any opinions? I am leaning towards 2, 3 or 4 since we get to check out other parts of Roatan for the same or a few dollars more than the Zipline Express right at the port. But if someone thinks they are the best I can be swayed :)

Thanks!

We zipped on the Pirates of the Caribbean Extreme, Extreme Zipline. This zipline zips the rider from mountain top to mountain top. Although the Pirates Extreme, Extreme zipline only has 8 zips, we chose it because it has the highest (328) and longest lines (1,980 feet) in all of Central America and the Caribbean!

The Pirates of the Caribbean Extreme, Extreme zipline was safe and easy. You do not need to wear gloves and there is no need to worry about breaking as this zipline does not zip the rider that fast and you end up slowing down naturally by gravity. There is a breaking block on the end of the zips, which the guides can pull back or down on to slow you down if needed.

I have recently completed a YouTube video of our day in Roatan. The first part of our video is our experience at the Pirates of the Caribbean zipline. To view photos and video clips of this zipline, click on the link below:

Archived