NCL Shuttle in Marseille?

LocardsChild

I tried this question on the France ports board, but couldn't get specifics so I'm attempting here...

Does NCL run a paid shuttle between the new and old ports in Marseille? There is a city bus near-ish the port, but all I'm finding are really bad experiences with it... Long walk, crowded, buses not stopping due to capacity.

If anyone has stopped in Marseille with NCL, can you verify if an NCL shuttle exists? How much? How often it runs?

Thanks!

B

I tried this question on the France ports board, but couldn't get specifics so I'm attempting here...

Does NCL run a paid shuttle between the new and old ports in Marseille? There is a city bus near-ish the port, but all I'm finding are really bad experiences with it... Long walk, crowded, buses not stopping due to capacity.

If anyone has stopped in Marseille with NCL, can you verify if an NCL shuttle exists? How much? How often it runs?

Thanks!

B

I think there maybe more than one port area in Marseille, similar to Athens. We have been in Marseille on Celebrity not NCL but from that experience can't see how a cruise line would not offer a shuttle for those not on tours. We were some distance... not really walkable. My husband speaks French, was born in Paris... even so we took the shuttle. We did find that the local drivers takes a lunch break or wanted to for around an 1.5 hr midday -- because my husband spoke French he was able to get the driver to take the long line of passengers back to the ship and then take his lunch break. Hope you enjoy your time in Marseille, colorful port. ee

We sailed with the Epic last June and stopped in Marseilles. I think the shuttle was $14 or $15. We paid NCL on the dock.

It was probably the only negative of our trip. There was a lot of traffic in the city and the shuttle buses took forever. We ended up asking for our money back as did a lot of people in line. It was chaos. We probably waited outside in the sun for almost an hour. Others were not good at waiting in line and there was pushing and shoving and line cutting. We gave up and went back on the ship.

I spoke to guest services about this. The lady I spoke to walked me to the window and showed me that the line was gone and there were two buses waiting out there. I don't know if we just hit a bad time, but the line was not efficient. By this time, the kids had changed into swimming suits, so we decided not to try again.

On the positive side, we had a great pool day. It was very relaxing and, I guess we needed it. Still I was disappointed not to spend another day in France.

We are taking the Epic again this year. Marseilles is our only stop in France. I think I will book a shore excursion to Aix. I noticed that NCL has a lot more shore excursions in Marseilles then they did last year. I wonder if this is a continuing problem.

Thanks!

B

Yes, NCL DO run a shuttle into Marseille. The cost last August was $20. Plenty of the buses were available from approx 8:00am. Not sure of timings for coming BACK as we didn't get off the Epic in Marseille! There was a LOT of building work going on at the time ( in preparation for Marseille becoming City of Culture, I believe ) and after such a port-intensive cruise, we chose to have a relaxing day on-board.

We DID see people from the ship docked next to us, begin to attempt to walk into Marseille! We also saw them give up VERY quickly in the intense heat!

Yes, NCL DO run a shuttle into Marseille. The cost last August was $20. Plenty of the buses were available from approx 8:00am. Not sure of timings for coming BACK as we didn't get off the Epic in Marseille! There was a LOT of building work going on at the time ( in preparation for Marseille becoming City of Culture, I believe ) and after such a port-intensive cruise, we chose to have a relaxing day on-board.

We DID see people from the ship docked next to us, begin to attempt to walk into Marseille! We also saw them give up VERY quickly in the intense heat!

Maybe you are right. Maybe the cost was $19.95 per person or something like that. I remember it being a lot of money for a shuttle trip.

Thank you all, it's really helpful to know!

Do you remember where you heard about it on the ship? Since it's not listed on the MyNCL, I'm guessing it was in the Dailies? Did you have to sign up the afternoon before like when they have tender tickets or was it just a morning of thing?

Thanks again!

B

Thank you all, it's really helpful to know!

Do you remember where you heard about it on the ship? Since it's not listed on the MyNCL, I'm guessing it was in the Dailies? Did you have to sign up the afternoon before like when they have tender tickets or was it just a morning of thing?

Thanks again!

B

When we tendered in Cannes, they made announcements several times to sign up ahead of time. The tendering was very organized. I don't remember this for the shuttle. The only reference I saw to the shuttle was on the daily for Marseille.

"Sign up for the Norwegian Shuttle Service that takes you downtown. Day pass is $14.99 per person. The shuttle operates from 7:30am-3:00pm. Bookings on the pier ashore or at the Guest Service Desk on Deck 5, Mid"

Last year the Epic left Marseille at 3:30. That is why we got nervous when we could not get on the shuttle by 11:00. They did make several announcements that morning that the shuttles were getting stuck in traffic. We thought if we waited, we would miss the crowds. You might want to get the very first shuttle this year which is probably around 10:00 am.

I took the shuttle in May, an early one into the city. Got on the first little train tour, went up to Notre Dame, saw a quick view of the city. That was enough for me as it seemed much of the downtown and port area was under construction. i took an early shuttle back as I had heard the horror stories. It was an ok day, just near the bottom of all the port stops I have made over the years.

We were there on the Epic last May. The shuttle was $20/pp and it was advertised in the dailies the prior day. I *think* you could also pay with cash outside of the shuttle the day of, but I would double check that on the ship.

We saw a lot of empty taxis lined up near the shuttle, walked up to one and asked how much he would charge to take 2 of us to the "Old Port" (same place the shuttle goes). He said $20, so we took the taxi for half price! I don't know if this is common, but if possible I would recommend checking the taxi situation before paying for the shuttle. As always, make sure to get a quote upfront. It was quick and painless and there is a busy taxi station right in the Old Port area when you're ready to get back. :)

Maybe you are right. Maybe the cost was $19.95 per person or something like that. I remember it being a lot of money for a shuttle trip.

Well my memory is clearly VERY bad!!! :o

I just checked my Freestyle Daily for the day in Marseille and it had this to say.....

"Sign up for Norwegian Shuttle service that takes you downtown. Day pass is $12 per person. The shuttle operates from 7:30am to 3:00pm "

Apologies for my bad memory......note to self........check BEFORE posting next time!!!! :o

• 3 years later...
Well my memory is clearly VERY bad!!! :o

I just checked my Freestyle Daily for the day in Marseille and it had this to say.....

"Sign up for Norwegian Shuttle service that takes you downtown. Day pass is $12 per person. The shuttle operates from 7:30am to 3:00pm "

Apologies for my bad memory......note to self........check BEFORE posting next time!!!! :o

NCL runs a shuttle. The cost today (7/9/16) was $15 for adults and $10 for kids.
Price quoted is round trip ?

The port of Marseille operates a free shuttle bus as far as I am aware, which drops you off around 15 minutes walk from the old port area and also near a underground station which you can use to take the underground train to the main Marseilles train station. As far as I am aware the shuttle only operates for cruise ships calling between Friday and Monday although this may have changed since I was last there, the shuttle bus picks up a short walk from the cruise terminal, you will see it if you follow the footpath towards the port exit and there is a sign marked "navettes" there, the cruise ships will not advertise this shuttle at all but we found it quite efficient when we used it

The port of Marseille operates a free shuttle bus as far as I am aware, which drops you off around 15 minutes walk from the old port area and also near a underground station which you can use to take the underground train to the main Marseilles train station. As far as I am aware the shuttle only operates for cruise ships calling between Friday and Monday although this may have changed since I was last there, the shuttle bus picks up a short walk from the cruise terminal, you will see it if you follow the footpath towards the port exit and there is a sign marked "navettes" there, the cruise ships will not advertise this shuttle at all but we found it quite efficient when we used it

I believe so. Unfortunately, I cannot confirm as we disembarked today in Barcelona.