Bringing back tequila from Cozumel?

Turbo6ta

Our next cruise takes us to Cozumel and I would like to pick up a nice bottle of tequila for my daughter. Any suggestions on which kind to buy? Also, how do you get the bottle back home? I'm assuming that you have to package it very carefully in your luggage so it doesn't break in transit on the way back home. Our do they allow special provisions at the security check in at the airport? Thanks!

There are some deals to be had on Tequila in Cozumel, but you really need to know your prices and availability of what you can get back home. Common items, I find to be a bit inflated. I usually start at one end of Melgar and wander in and out of each shop. The shop keepers were a bit aggressive in trying to get you in their shops last week, so brace yourself.

I've never had any issues getting my purchases back at the end of the cruise. And yes, occasionally small bottles have been forgotten to be left at the collection table. It happens. (Shrug).

I was on my honeymoon in Cozumel back in September and the shop keepers were extremely aggressive to get you into their shops. I never seen anything like it. It was a bit annoying.

I don't know about prices of liqour in town, but at the duty free store where you get off the ship (porta maya), the prices were TERRIBLE. A 1 litre Kahlua was $15 and 1 Litre Sauza Tequila was $12. That's only a few bucks better than Ohio. Many things like Vodka and Bourbon were higher than Ohio.

Those 1 shot bottles that are great for smuggling on board? Bacardi was $3.50, most others were $4 or $5 each. These were all $1 each just two years ago. I bought a 200ml bottle of rum for $8.00. I can get this same bottle at home for less than $4.00.

The ship's prices were also TERRIBLE. Most was either higher than Ohio or just 2 bucks less. It wouldn't be worth it to try to fly home with any of it.

Our next cruise takes us to Cozumel and I would like to pick up a nice bottle of tequila for my daughter. Any suggestions on which kind to buy? Also, how do you get the bottle back home? I'm assuming that you have to package it very carefully in your luggage so it doesn't break in transit on the way back home. Our do they allow special provisions at the security check in at the airport? Thanks!

Hi Anyislandwill do,

First, love your screen name. Amazon.com sells Wine Diapers. Last time I bought them they were 3 for $14.99. Think waterproof bag for your electronics. They are guaranteed not to leak if the bottle gets broken and are padded to try to prevent them from getting broken. They are even reusable, so you can pack your 2 bottles on wine in them to get on the ship, and then take your Tequila in them to travel home.

Have travelled with them and love them. There is also a brand called a Wine Mummy too.

I thought I would make sure I have extras when I go to Mexico next time too. Not just for the Tequila, but I like to buy Mexican vanilla too.

Our next cruise takes us to Cozumel and I would like to pick up a nice bottle of tequila for my daughter. Any suggestions on which kind to buy?

As an avid tequila fan I can recommend a few different tequilas that your daughter might enjoy.

On the higher end of the $$$ scale, Don Julio Tequila is always consistently excellent. Other brands I enjoy are Corazon, Tres Generaciones, 1921 and Casa Noble. If you are looking spend a little less money, I would recommend Patron, 1800 or Gila.

Basically, just make sure the bottle says "made from 100% agave". If it only says "made from agave", skip it, as it will only contain 51% agave and 49% other crappy grains which will leave you with a nasty hangover the following morning. Sometimes it will say "made from blue webber agave", this is fine since that's the full name of the agave plant.

Also good to know, tequila generally comes in 3 different varieties named for how long they've been aged.

Blanco or silver: These tequilas are generally not aged and have a more pronounced sweet/sour agave flavor.

Reposado: These tequilas are aged in oak casks between 2 -12 months. Reposados are always the most popular choice as they a good balance between sweet agave flavor and the smoothness that comes from the aging process.

Anejo: These tequilas are aged in oak casks between 1-3 years and have a much more complex flavor that is similar to scotch. (I'm generally not a fan of anejo tequila since I can't stand scotch!!!)

Personally, I prefer reposados for sipping on ice and blancos for mixed drinks and shots.

I hope this helps!

Edited by YankeeFan4Ever

As an avid tequila fan I can recommend a few different tequilas that your daughter might enjoy.

On the higher end of the $$$ scale, Don Julio Tequila is always consistently excellent. Other brands I enjoy are Corazon, Tres Generaciones, 1921 and Casa Noble. If you are looking spend a little less money, I would recommend Patron, 1800 or Gila.

Basically, just make sure the bottle says "made from 100% agave". If it only says "made from agave", skip it, as it will only contain 51% agave and 49% other crappy grains which will leave you with a nasty hangover the following morning. Sometimes it will say "made from blue webber agave", this is fine since that's the full name of the agave plant.

Also good to know, tequila generally comes in 3 different varieties named for how long they've been aged.

Blanco or silver: These tequilas are generally not aged and have a more pronounced sweet/sour agave flavor.

Reposado: These tequilas are aged in oak casks between 2 -12 months. Reposados are always the most popular choice as they a good balance between sweet agave flavor and the smoothness that comes from the aging process.

Anejo: These tequilas are aged in oak casks between 1-3 years and have a much more complex flavor that is similar to scotch. (I'm generally not a fan of anejo tequila since I can't stand scotch!!!)

Personally, I prefer reposados for sipping on ice and blancos for mixed drinks and shots.

I hope this helps!

Yankeefan,

Do you know of any brands that are exclusive to Cozumel? Really wanna get something that I can't get at home.

Thanks

TeeTee

Yankeefan,

Do you know of any brands that are exclusive to Cozumel? Really wanna get something that I can't get at home.

Thanks

TeeTee

Unfortunately I don't think there are any tequilas exclusive to Cozumel since by law, tequila can only be made in the Jalisco region of Mexico. (and limited regions in the states of Guanajuato, Michoacán, Nayarit, and Tamaulipas) Once bottled, they are shipped all over Mexico and worldwide.

That being said, a friend of mine recently brought me back a bottle of Gila Reposado tequila from a duty-free store in the Dominican Republic of all places. Some online sleuthing has led me to believe that it's difficult to find Gila outside of duty-free shops and might also be tough to find in Mexico itself, even though it's made there!

If you happen to find a bottle, I highly recommend it. It has hints of sweet caramel and cinnamon and is VERY smooth. It's currently one of my favourites! He paid approx $35 for a 750ml bottle.

Good luck! :)

Unfortunately I don't think there are any tequilas exclusive to Cozumel since by law, tequila can only be made in the Jalisco region of Mexico. (and limited regions in the states of Guanajuato, Michoacán, Nayarit, and Tamaulipas) Once bottled, they are shipped all over Mexico and worldwide.

That being said, a friend of mine recently brought me back a bottle of Gila Reposado tequila from a duty-free store in the Dominican Republic of all places. Some online sleuthing has led me to believe that it's difficult to find Gila outside of duty-free shops and might also be tough to find in Mexico itself, even though it's made there!

If you happen to find a bottle, I highly recommend it. It has hints of sweet caramel and cinnamon and is VERY smooth. It's currently one of my favourites! He paid approx $35 for a 750ml bottle.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the info!! Now that sounds like something I need to find :D

• 4 months later...
Hi Anyislandwill do,

First, love your screen name. Amazon.com sells Wine Diapers. Last time I bought them they were 3 for $14.99. Think waterproof bag for your electronics. They are guaranteed not to leak if the bottle gets broken and are padded to try to prevent them from getting broken. They are even reusable, so you can pack your 2 bottles on wine in them to get on the ship, and then take your Tequila in them to travel home.

Have travelled with them and love them. There is also a brand called a Wine Mummy too.

I thought I would make sure I have extras when I go to Mexico next time too. Not just for the Tequila, but I like to buy Mexican vanilla too.

Thanks Kelly for the excellent suggestion!

I hope this helps!

Thanks Yankee Fan, this information is great. I will take this along with me while I'm shopping and hopefully make a wise decision and buy her something she will really enjoy.

In the shopping area near the port in Cozumel, there is a round building where they sell flavored tequilas. They are most excellent and everytime we visit there, we bring back our limit. The shop is very generous with the samples so you can decide which one suits your taste. I really like the vanilla flavored and hibiscus flavored. I can't remember the brand but they can not be bought in the US.

Actually 2 weeks ago on the Magic they scanned my backpack which contained a just purchased bottle of tequila.... they directed me to the liquor check in table, there was a few people there and I didnt feel like waiting, so I looked and the security guys where not looking so I just walked away and took bottle to my cabin.... I didnt intend to open it, just wanted to avoid the hassle... and maybe just a little mischievousness to see if I could get away with it.

Thanks for giving away another good smuggling move to the internet (and carnival)

;)

Last time I was in Cozumel I sampled LOTS & LOTS of free tequila! and some of it was very good. Really different from the typical Cuervo or Patron.

Also even if the prices on the ship are similar, the selection is not even close! If you want something interesting don't buy it on the ship, buy it in pot.

There is a tequila tour on Cozumel. We took a taxi ride around and ask the driver to take us someplace interesting, they show you how its made, and after the tour you could go and try the different flavored tequilas. We purchase a couple of bottles to take home. Glad I was in a taxi for the ride home.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought bottles of Don Ramon Reposado and El Mandamas Blanco, one at the port in Cozumel and the latter in Costa Maya for $60 total. I looked online and they are sold for 30% higher than what I paid. I'm going again to Cozumel in November on the Disney Magic and I think I'll purchase a bottle of Clase Azul Reposado and sample some of the suggested tequilas I've been reading about on this forum. I hate Patron but I love tequila, especially the lesser known brands you can only buy in Mexico. But I wouldn't ever pay over $50 for a bottle.

Anyone know if I can get a bargain on:

High end Cuervo> Reserva de la Familia?

I sampled some recently and ultra smooth but at $135 local (Specs- Houston Area), too rich for my blood? Heading down to Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel in November?

Appreciate any heads up; found a shop in Cozumel (Cinco Soles) (downtown) and sent them an email; their response>> $165 US; Thanks but no thanks.. Others have said nope- just buy in Texas.

Just asking from other experiences! Thanks in Advance!

• 4 weeks later...

The advantage of living in South Texas is the Tequilas are fairly cheap (outside of the national mainline brands)....I didn't see much of a price difference between tequilas in Cozumel at the port and in the liquor store at Costco (cheapest around). Of course you didn't match brand for brand, but you could match type for type.

All I know is to avoid the Tequila on the Jeep tour -- it was EXPENSIVE. Only one person on my tour even bought a bottle, and there were 10 or 12 jeeps.

• 1 month later...
Anyone know if I can get a bargain on:

High end Cuervo> Reserva de la Familia?

I sampled some recently and ultra smooth but at $135 local (Specs- Houston Area), too rich for my blood? Heading down to Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel in November?

Appreciate any heads up; found a shop in Cozumel (Cinco Soles) (downtown) and sent them an email; their response>> $165 US; Thanks but no thanks.. Others have said nope- just buy in Texas.

Just asking from other experiences! Thanks in Advance!

We are doing the 12 meter America's cup sailing in Cozumel, I hope we have time to grab a couple of bottles before getting back on the Magic!