Starting to get nervous...someone reinstate my confidence

Canuckdoc

Whilst my wife and I have not cruised as much as some on this board, we have traveled extensively globally, more than 8 million air miles and all continents, in addition to our cruising. If I had more free time from traveling the globe on my work, the pool deck of sliver wind is one place I would be more often!

As we know, perspectives vary, especially as life changes the way things "use to be". On this board, as in life, there is the petty complaining mixed with legitimate gripes. Once again, individual perceptions determine which is which.

But make no mistake, Silversea is a fantastic cruise experience, and their ships are tip top. Three-four hundred guests on a plush 500+ foot ship, with hundreds of professionals attending to your relaxation and safety! Maybe not unique, but pretty special. Ships clean and in my experience, in good repair.

I have never found food lacking, but then again, personal expectations influence perception. The crew are always outstanding and make each voyage special. Most know you by name by day 2.

In my experience, if someone can't be happy on a Silversea cruise, I am not sure if they can happy anywhere.

My advice is go, and don't hesitate.

Whilst my wife and I have not cruised as much as some on this board, we have traveled extensively globally, more than 8 million air miles and all continents, in addition to our cruising. If I had more free time from traveling the globe on my work, the pool deck of sliver wind is one place I would be more often!

As we know, perspectives vary, especially as life changes the way things "use to be". On this board, as in life, there is the petty complaining mixed with legitimate gripes. Once again, individual perceptions determine which is which.

But make no mistake, Silversea is a fantastic cruise experience, and their ships are tip top. Three-four hundred guests on a plush 500+ foot ship, with hundreds of professionals attending to your relaxation and safety! Maybe not unique, but pretty special. Ships clean and in my experience, in good repair.

I have never found food lacking, but then again, personal expectations influence perception. The crew are always outstanding and make each voyage special. Most know you by name by day 2.

In my experience, if someone can't be happy on a Silversea cruise, I am not sure if they can happy anywhere.

Thanks Jettman for a gracious post which puts everything in perspective. I shall take you advice and seek out the pool deck when we join Silver Wind next February.

Just thought of another reason to pick SilverSea. Only a few cabins are without balconies, so for Vista cabin passengers like myself, there's plenty of room on the pool deck to sleep out should the ship ever end up like the Carnival Triumph!

(While that was said with tongue in cheek, in many ways I'm serious and it affects my decision to choose SS. My last cruise was shortly after the Concordia's sinking and I kept thinking about how things would be different on SS - first the excellent English speaking skills of almost all the crew, plus the excellent crew to passenger ratio means that the confusion and panic would be less and with fewer passengers to account for, I'm sure in an emergency, the Captain would not be hindered by the simple timing issues of getting 3 - 4K people to do anything.)

Please?, just where do you find a cabin on SS, unless you have a pass to Deck 3?

Please?, just where do you find a cabin on SS, unless you have a pass to Deck 3?

?????

Perhaps because I'm the daughter of a mariner, I'm confusing you by calling my accommodation on any ship a 'cabin' and not a 'suite.' To me a suite is a collection of rooms (and no, a bathroom and bedroom don't count as a suite in my mind.) I'll never have one of those on any ship (and seldom have them on land either.)

In case it isn't my word usage that is confusing you... Deck 4 Vista cabins, while identical on the inside to deck 5 and higher Verandah cabins on the inside, only have a window, no balcony. So in the case of no ventilation system, I'd be sleeping up on the pool deck.

A great post and very reassuring to someone considering their first cruise on Silversea. Some recent reviews and comments can lead to the impression that the line is headed straight down the toilet.

This post wins the prize so far...

This has gotten me excited again.

Especially given the fact that within the post, you

Can identify a rational mindset,

Plus your previous sailing list also helps put the post in

Perspective ....

Thank you for this..

Also, to UKjeff, I do apologize for offending.

I have re-read your post, and I can see what point you were trying to

Make...

I realize that there was a time when the service was white

Glove attendants at a 1:1 ratio for each guest,

But at the same time the standard fare was ~ 2-3 x the current

Rate, so yes, from a value per dollar perspective,

It is still a great bang for the buck...

My confidence is restored...

(And I haven't been drinking today.... Much):)

Certainly not true in my case: I was very unhappy with our recent Silver Shadow cruise, and yet I am now very happy being home and enjoying fabulous food at restaurants and my club. Though I really like good things, I was most disappointed with SS.

Archived