How to spend 14 hours before flight leaves from Anchorage

travelingfarmgirl

We are on the NCL Sun, which disembarks from Whittier starting at 8:00am. Our flight does not leave from Anchorage airport until 10:00pm. Does anybody have any advice on how to fill the time and get us to the airport from Whittier? There are six of us in our group.

I was looking at the all day tour option from this company: http://alaskacruisetransfer.com/shuttle-transfer-options/whittier-to-anchorage-all-day-tour/. This would get us to the airport around 5:30pm.

Does anyone have any experience with that tour company or any other suggestions of how to fill the day? Thanks!

Consider renting a minvan for the day .. then you could follow the same route as the tour, but at your own pace. The Hwy is only 2 lanes and there's only one heading south out of Anchorage so impossible to get lost. Then return the car to the airport when you're ready to check in.

http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

With a 10 PM flight you will need to be checking in at the Anchorage airport around 8 PM or so. Given the number of hours you have between disembarking your ship and your flight I totally agree that the best option is by far renting a van.

If you have a clear day consider stopping in Girdwood on your drive to Anchorage and taking the tram at Alyeska Resort. On a clear day the views are spectacular. There are also a number of very scenic pullouts between Girdwood and Anchorage. Once you reach Anchorage, consider a visit to the Alaska Native Heritage Center, or the Anchorage Museum.

The problem is that there is only 1 company that rents and that is AVIS. Thay charge $350 for the day for a minivan. I guess that pays if there are more than 3 people in the van.

Sometimes- Time is more valuable than money. :) I suggest people look at WHAT they are getting with their time, especially infrequent visitors. Are they getting a full day of touring?, seeing Hatcher Pass?, Alaska culture Center?, glaicer hiking Matansuka?, Gold Panning Crow Creek Mine?, enjoying the luxury Girdwood/Alyeska area?, seeing Musk Ox?, enjoying the multiple attractions in Anchorage? etc etc.

OR are they sitting around doing nothing, taking a couple hour transit tour (still wasting a major part of the day?)

For me, my time is valuable, and that $350 would be well spent. Each needs to decide.

Archived