Need to find a good hotel in St.Thomas for 1 night?

Naveron

Jane, you little devil!

Just caught up on reading the Board on our return from our Crystal cruise and see that you have booked the same Caribbean cruise as Don and Lola plus the crossing!!!!!

Hope there aren't too many children on the Easter cruise:D

Sue

Delurking for a moment ... DH and I stayed at Marriott's Morning Star Beach, which is part of the Marriott's Frenchman's Reef complex, before our cruise last year. We will stay there again this year for two days after our cruise.

The Morning Star rooms are right on the beach while the Frenchman's rooms are in the tower complex.

Cruiserbunny--how did you like Crystal?-I've heard its real good. but big! We have friends from Colo. who have sailed several times and like it. Was tempted a few years ago, but the size scared me off. Welcome back!!! Its easy to get to St. Thomas!! Don

Don, we sailed Crystal last year, our one and only foray onto a ship that is not all-inclusive, and it *is* too big. Frankly, we hated it: assigned seating, signing for beverages, and generally too many pax, including lots of children. We also thought the service was not what we are used to on Seabourn or even Silversea. And, if you like room service, forget it---there is no designated room service department. Rather, your poor, overworked stewardess gets the food from the kitchen, where alot of mistakes are made. Our breakfast would come without silverware, a box of cereal with no bowl, bagels and lox with no bagels, etc. etc.

Others will disagree, and I hope my opinion will be respected as just that, but I didn't even save the information on the Crystal Society membership, as we will never sail Crystal again. It is a nice, upscale but basically mass market line.

Denyse

Hello, Don and Lola!!

Yes, we did like Crystal but it is certainly a lot bigger than Seabourn! There were 700 pax on the ship which has a capacity of 940 but only 5 children! Obviously the ship is a lot bigger so it never felt crowded to us. I frequently had the swimming pool to myself.

This was our second Crystal cruise, primarily chosen because of an excellent deal, an overnight in Bordeaux and the fact that the cruise was from Barcelona to Dover, where we live, so nice and easy after disembarkation.

Crystal is good but it isn't perfect and I agree with bldsld about the assigned seating and the poor room service. We did not find it a problem signing for drinks. All non-alcoholic drinks, speciality coffees etc. are complimentary and we don't drink that much alcohol!!! It does some things better than Seabourn (for example, much better pool and I like to swim a lot and better outside dining space for breakfast and lunch also things like language classes and dance lessons on sea days, both of which we participated in) and some things not as well (although good, the food and service is not as good as Seabourn).

However, we like them both for their particular strengths and shall continue to sail on both.

Still considering where to go for our next Seabourn cruise - disappointed not to be able to do Florence and Italian Yacht Havens in September (fully booked) but still considering the Caribbean in March/April. Glad that Jane is booked on your Easter cruise too.

Thanks for your "Welcome back"!

Sue

P.S. See also thread "Crystal/Seabourn Comparison" in which Keith 1010 provides a very eloquent and objective comparison of the 2 cruiselines - I totally agree with his comments!

>"I frequently had the swimming pool to myself."

I must say that on my 6 Seabourn cruises, you were the only person I ever saw in the pool! Now, when are you booking the 'St Thomas' cruise?

Jane (never saw a pool on the QM2)

We stayed at the Holiday Inn downtown in March before and after a cruise. Before was in a King room that was sort of a dump. After, they put us in a deluxe room with a view which was very nice. The Holiday Inn is very close to all the shopping if that is an issue. No beach but a nice pool.

Jim.

• 1 month later...

We pass though St. Thomas quite frequently en route to our place in Virgin Gorda. Ferry schedules often mean we stay a night in St. T on either end of the trip. If you are spry and can handle the stairs, stay in the Hotel 1829. This is an old Sea Captain's (read: pirate's) house converted to hotel. In it's glory days, it was quite the swank place. Glory days are past, but still charming, (inefficiently) air-conditioned and right on a hill over down town Charlotte Amalie. Small swimming pool. Lovely views over St. T Harbor. Be sure to ask for one of the nicer rooms (4+5 is perfect) or you may end up in a converted closet. Eat lunch and dinner downtown at Virgilio's -- local secret, best food on St. Thomas. Try the Bananas Foster.

If you're willing to trade charm for elevators and predictability, just go to the Ritz Carlton. It's very American (i.e. un-Caribbean) but has nice beach, pool, etc., very strong air conditioning. Decor is Italian Palazzo (?),very grand, lots of kids.

Archived