some info about booking with a '' group cruise ''

i keep seeing all the great group cruises listed going to fantastic places and the very good prices they offer.

here's my question--if i book with a group cruise do i have to be involved with all or most of the ' group activities ' and get togethers on the ship? or do some of you just become a regular passenger on the cruise and do your own thing? i have read some of the reveiws and seen some of the pix of the group cruises so i know that it must be a fun group that gets together, but i am more of a '' keep to myself and do my own thing cruiser ''. i know the reason for the group cruises is too get better prices for the cabins because of a larger group booking on the trip and there is a free cabin given to the organizer if enough people book on it ( is this correct ?).

SO--do some of you book just too get the good price and ammenities thown in and then go on your own during the cruise?

i keep seeing all the great group cruises listed going to fantastic places and the very good prices they offer.

here's my question--if i book with a group cruise do i have to be involved with all or most of the ' group activities ' and get togethers on the ship? or do some of you just become a regular passenger on the cruise and do your own thing? i have read some of the reveiws and seen some of the pix of the group cruises so i know that it must be a fun group that gets together, but i am more of a '' keep to myself and do my own thing cruiser ''. i know the reason for the group cruises is too get better prices for the cabins because of a larger group booking on the trip and there is a free cabin given to the organizer if enough people book on it ( is this correct ?).

SO--do some of you book just too get the good price and ammenities thown in and then go on your own during the cruise?

I've booked a group cruise and it's whatever you make of it...you can be as involved, or not, as you'd like. Generally, depending on the size of the group, there are some great perks...(free cruise fare, open-bar cocktail parties...group pictures...champagne in the room, etc). You may find that you will enjoy some of the group things. You can, however, keep to yourself and do your own thing. As for the freebies, most cruise-lines will offer one free cruise fare, (cabin only..not taxes or fees), for every 16th passenger for each 8 cabins booked. The way it works is that you pay the full fare, up front, and they'll mail you a check, a few weeks after the cruise. Hope this helps!

skinsfan1311

thanks for letting me know all the great info. i would surely want to go to some of the get-together things, but i preferr to not be with a large group for certain things like just shopping in the ports and i like strolling around on my own or just setting by myself and reading a book or watching the land or ocean go by ;) . i am not an unlikable inverted person, but there are times when i preferr to be by myself. it is good to know that is an open option that is not thought '' unkindly '' of by the group. i will certainly keep my eye out for a group cruise that will be going to a destination i am interested in. it really does sound like fun and there are some great prices to make it very tempting.

once again thanks for the info :)

Not to worry...as the other poster said, you can be as involved or un-involved as you choose.

We've been doing group cruises for about 5 years now. It's the only way to go when you consider the great pricing and amenities thrown in.

I remember our first group cruise...I was a little worried and told my husband, "what if these people are axe murderers?" He reminded me that we board a ship with 2,000 other passengers who are total strangers, so why would this be any different. It wasn't like we were sharing a cabin with them!" Well, that made perfect sense to me and funny thing is, we've met some of the greatest people who have become very good friends.

I felt the same way about booking my first group cruise for October 2006 but the message boards are helping me get to know my fellow cruisers.

For me the incredible price as a single cruiser and the amenities for booking the cruise outway my fear of meeting total strangers.

thanks for letting me know that it is a common way to cruise and get a great price with ammenities thrown in. i am going to keep track of one for my canada/new england cruise i want to take next. im sure in the next year there will be one that will just what i am looking for. :)

just thought of one more thing--do you get to choose the specific cabin you want or is it the luck of the draw were the room is according to the catagory you want :confused: . i get sea sick and need something more in the middle of the ship.

just thought of one more thing--do you get to choose the specific cabin you want or is it the luck of the draw were the room is according to the catagory you want :confused: . i get sea sick and need something more in the middle of the ship.
Great question! You can generally book whatever you want. Many people opt to book a "guarantee",(in a nutshell,that's booking a specific category, without a cabin assignment..in hopes of getting an upgrade). Many people also book a specific cabin...if motion-sickness is a worry, try booking something mid-ship...the lower the deck...the less the motion.....

:)

I just booked my first "group cruise" and am really looking forward to meeting some of the people that I've been "talking" to on the Cruise Critic boards since before my cruise in 2003 and the one I just took last month. I booked this cruise because it's on a brand new ship, liked the Ports (usually do Western Caribbean and this is Eastern) and most important . . . to meet the wonderful people that have made planning my cruises so much fun. I didn't book this cruise because of the "perks" . . . in fact, I'm not getting any of the perks for being part of the group. I booked independently. I didn't want to but I wanted a certain cabin and also, as someone who travels solo, I didn't get the benefit of the $25.00 booking fee . . . I would have had to pay what anyone not part of the group would pay to book the cruise. :(

ladycaveat

it sounds like you are going to have a great time on the cruise. and it will be so much fun for you too meet all of the great cruisers you have been talking too and reading about here on the boards. im sure it will be a fun time for you :) .

Obviously, if you and friends are putting togeather a "group" of say 15-20 people, you probably are going to want to be part of that group. If you are able to be part of say, some group of 100 or more and you don't know any of the folks in that group, but you can take advantage of great rate, you can be as anonymous as you want, and not really be part of "the group" at all.

marco

the latter would be my case. just a friend and i . scrimping, saving and working our fingers to the bone is how we are able to go on our cruises. but when you are hooked and love to cruise so much we do whatever it takes to get on the ship we pick out. so anything to cut the cost is a major thing for us :) . the price, first get-together and meeting everyone in the beginning sounds fun since i follow the boards so much, but after that we would rather be able to go off on my own for the rest of the cruise.

I check the boards here for group cruises. This link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24 will bring you to the list. I found the Saints & Sinners II cruise this way and the price for a single is incredible. About $80 over the d/o price! Still time to book it for $250 deposit for October 2006 :D

Archived