First time to Europe/Barcelona Cruise NCL Epic

DEERINH2O

Hello All,

I have a few questions and hoping some of you can answer. I just booked the NCL Epic for August 2014. We are going from Barcelona and I am confused!:eek:

I have cruised numeros times so I am not confused on that part, I am confused by the whole Euro and Tax thing.

Should we buy all our Euros stateside? And how do people budget. I know what we do for a caribbean cruise, but I have no idea on Europe.

Also I keep hearing about a VAT tax? Not sure what that is.

I will gladly take any tips and advice anyone has. I am so excited.

We are flying to Paris first for a few days then onto Barcelona.

Thank you in advance!

Kathy

Hello All,

I have a few questions and hoping some of you can answer. I just booked the NCL Epic for August 2014. We are going from Barcelona and I am confused!:eek:

I have cruised numeros times so I am not confused on that part, I am confused by the whole Euro and Tax thing.

Should we buy all our Euros stateside? And how do people budget. I know what we do for a caribbean cruise, but I have no idea on Europe.

Also I keep hearing about a VAT tax? Not sure what that is.

I will gladly take any tips and advice anyone has. I am so excited.

We are flying to Paris first for a few days then onto Barcelona.

Thank you in advance!

Kathy

I always get my Euros from an ATM - you can get them at the airport when you land. Check with your bank and credit card companies to see what kind of conversion charges there are, if any.

One thing I learned the hard way - European ATMs won't let you withdraw funds from a savings account. You need to have your money in a checking account to withdraw funds. I expected to see an option for checking or savings, and it isn't available. I had to go online to my bank account and transfer funds from my savings account to my checking account before I could get any money.

Check to see if your card works in Europe and use an ATM. I do get a few Euros before I go so when i land I dont have to look for an ATM. And VAT is on all purchases, if you buy something that is expensive you can get the VAT refunded.

VAT is also added to all of your purchases on the Epic as the ship doesn't leave the EU. When I was on there in October we were charged an extra 8% on all food and drink and 18% on spa and gift shop purchases.

ETA, that is why we booked all of our excursions and specialty restaurants in advance. Didn't have to pay VAT that way.

VAT is also added to all of your purchases on the Epic as the ship doesn't leave the EU. When I was on there in October we were charged an extra 8% on all food and drink and 18% on spa and gift shop purchases.

ETA, that is why we booked all of our excursions and specialty restaurants in advance. Didn't have to pay VAT that way.

SO we are doing the TA

Since the first port is Madeira(Portugal) the 3rd day, does that mean we pay VAT till than or day 10 when we get to STT

We always take some Euros with us. Order from Wells Fargo and it arrives by the next morning. We also withdraw from ATM's but there is usually a limit imposed daily. A lot of these private tour operators request cash and it is hard to come up with all the money from just one ATM so plan accordingly.

Archived