Medications

Can someoneplease tell me if you need to take any medications for Hep A & Typhoid before travelleing on a cruise to the Eastern Carribean. Thanks Judy

You are not required, but you may want to.

Tyfoid is rare, but Hep A is recommended by some countries.

Before my upcoming trip I've also taken a booster dose of the "child vaccines", ie diphtheria+tetanus+pertussis+polio.

Hep A can be taken twice/thrice and then you should have more or less lifelong protection.

Can someoneplease tell me if you need to take any medications for Hep A & Typhoid before travelleing on a cruise to the Eastern Carribean. Thanks Judy

I am from QLD and have done the Eastern Caribbean several times and vaccinations are not required. Have a great time ! :)

I am from QLD and have done the Eastern Caribbean several times and vaccinations are not required. Have a great time ! :)

It is not required, but it IS recommended!

From http://www.health.gov.au/internet/immunise/publishing.nsf/Content/Handbook-hepatitisa

Hepatitis A vaccination is recommended for:

• all travellers to, and all expatriates living in, moderately to highly endemic areas (including all developing countries)

The same advice is also given by:

http://www.traveldoctor.com.au/TravelHealthPlanner/St-Thomas-Trip-Health-Advisory-Report

Hepatitis A

Hepatitis A is recommended for this trip. This viral disease is transmitted through eating contaminated food or drinking contaminated water. Most adults in less developed countries have already acquired the disease in childhood and are immune for life.

So my advice is that you should indeed vaccinate against hepatitis A when going to the Caribbean.

Hep A is not required to travel in the Caribbean, but I would highly recommend being vaccinated. Doctors have told me that if one eats in a restaurant, they should be vaccinated. Hep A infections are most often contracted by eating in restaurants where food handlers' personal hygiene (hand washing) is not the greatest.

Archived