Flying to Anchorage?

elliotoakley

Good day, I live in Florida and have done the Florida based cruises to death. They are great but I want to try something different... Alaska.

I know there are 3 places to fly to.. Seattle, Vancouver, and Anchorage. Anyone flown to Anchorage? I know the port is not in the actual city, it's in the neighboring town Whittier, but any thoughts on flying to Alaska itself?

I would expect to fly the day before the cruise and have a hotel for the night, also a hotel on the end of the cruise so as not to be stressed over the flights.

SO I guess my question is has anyone done the Anchorage port? To get from airport to the ship there are coach busses, a train and of course a taxi (mucho $$$). Any thoughts?

Good day, I live in Florida and have done the Florida based cruises to death. They are great but I want to try something different... Alaska.

I know there are 3 places to fly to.. Seattle, Vancouver, and Anchorage. Anyone flown to Anchorage? I know the port is not in the actual city, it's in the neighboring town Whittier, but any thoughts on flying to Alaska itself?

I would expect to fly the day before the cruise and have a hotel for the night, also a hotel on the end of the cruise so as not to be stressed over the flights.

SO I guess my question is has anyone done the Anchorage port? To get from airport to the ship there are coach busses, a train and of course a taxi (mucho $$$). Any thoughts?

To get from Anchorage to the ship I would use cruise transfers( bus or train).

To fly to Anchorage your probably better off to fly to Seattle , overnight and then fly the next day. Cruises that start in Alaska all go to Vancouver due to the Jones Act . Overnight or two in Vancouver then fly home to Florida .

The best would be fly to Vancouver (1 day) , overnight then cruise to Anchorage. On the return you probably can get a better connection to Florida .

If you have the time (14 Days) cruise to Alaska and back to Vancouver.

In this case you fly to Seattle take a transfer to Vancouver ( or fly direct to Vancouver0

I understand what you say about flying but what is this business about "all" cruises that start in Alaska go to Vancouver? What is the Jones act?

Yeah I saw the itinerary that begun in Anchorage and finished in Vancouver but I find that a bit perplexing? It's not trans-atlantic after all so why not just return to Anchorage?

Well, I live in Anchorage and fly here whenever I leave :) In fact, I am thinking about flying to Florida next year for a cruise:D

On our first cruise we ended in FLL and flew back via Chicago to visit our DD for a week. Normally, flights to Alaska from FLA would go through one of the ket cities-Seattle, Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Lake -depending on the airline.

As noted, most cruises to Alaska sail from Vancouver. However, others sail from San Francisco and Seattle-it all depends of the itinerary.

I would definitely recommend coming in at least the day before and exploring Anchorage. The port in Whittier is actually 90 miles south of here along a scenic road. You can get there by car, bus or rail. Most cruise lines have transfers that you can check out. It makes it very easy.

Also, many people take sightseeing cruises out of Whittier on the day of the cruise. You can check them out too.

Flying to Alaska may be a little long from Fla, but it is not going to the end of the earth. I know, I have done it many times.....

I understand what you say about flying but what is this business about "all" cruises that start in Alaska go to Vancouver? What is the Jones act?

Yeah I saw the itinerary that begun in Anchorage and finished in Vancouver but I find that a bit perplexing? It's not trans-atlantic after all so why not just return to Anchorage?

Actually it is not the Jones act, but the PVSA-Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1868. Our Congress passed a law that says only American Flag vessels can carry passengers between American ports. So, sailing from seattle to Whittier on a British ship (such as most of the major cruise lines) is agains the law-believe it or not. Thus, Vancouver Canada is a popular destination.

The law has exceptions, but is a real pain in the neck for cruisers.

So you mean that if I took a cruise out of Seattle, then by law the first port of call would have to be somewhere that is not America... i.e. Vancouver or wherever, as long as it's not America? Then beyond that the ship can travel back to America i.e. Alaska?

Jeez what a silyl law. Luckilly here in Florida once you leave your original port the first place you always end up is some Carribean island so I bet most people here are not even aware of that silly law.

So you mean that if I took a cruise out of Seattle, then by law the first port of call would have to be somewhere that is not America... i.e. Vancouver or wherever, as long as it's not America? Then beyond that the ship can travel back to America i.e. Alaska?

Jeez what a silyl law. Luckilly here in Florida once you leave your original port the first place you always end up is some Carribean island so I bet most people here are not even aware of that silly law.

It may be a silly law but Congress has repeatedly shown no interest in repealing it. Of course, the big cruise ships are all registered in a foreign country too (Bermuda, Bahamas, etc.) so Seattle based trips usually make the stop in Victoria for four hours (not much time to do anything).

My favorite story is when Norwegian Cruise Lines ran a Honolulu/Hawaiian Island based trip that had to make a stop at remote Fanning Island. They tried to develop it as a tourist stop but it didn't do very well. Now ships from Hawaii to the west coast make a stop in Ensenada Baja California.

During the summer, Delta is planning a long nonstop from Atlanta to Anchorage which would have great connections from Florida. Lots of air service to Anchorage this summer with other carriers too. FYI - Alaska Airlines is the dominant carrier up here and they do service Florida through Ft. Lauderdale; a connection to Anchorage would be made in Seattle.

I did a quick read on this "Jones Act" and I am still confused...

If you start in Seattle you eventually return to Seattle.

So why is it that if you start in Anchorage (Whittier) you eventually end up in somewhere other than Anchorage? Can't they go down to Vancouver to be comliant with the law then return?

I don't understand? is it the distance problem? Is Vancouver too far from Anchorage that for the 7-day time span it's just not realistic to do that long a journey and return to Anchorage?

I have never been to Alaska but I know that the Florida based cruises that go to Mexico (quite a long haul) do eventually return back to Florida.

The PSVA requires that foreign-flagged ships stop in either a "foreign port" if on round trip itineraries that start/end in a US port, or a "distant" foreign port if traveling one way between US cities. "Foreign" ports include any country other than the US, including Canada and Mexico. "Distant foreign" ports include a few Caribbean ports (e.g. Aruba) and also various Central and South American ports.

In the case of Seattle departures, all Alaska cruises are round trips, because there's no "distant" foreign port handy; all Seattle cruises call at one Canadian town on their itineraries, usually Victoria BC.

One-way cruises between Alaska and the US/Canada all terminate (or originate) in Vancouver, so that the cruise isn't between US ports.

Thanks for the plain and simple explanation. What a load of nonsense if you ask me. Of course living here in Florida if you travel any direction other than North you end up in some foreign country whether it's a Carribean Island or Mexico or Cuba or wherever. So I bet most people along with myself never thought about it.

I guess being that the only country near Alaska (other than Russia) is Canada the cruise ships are forced to go to Canada whether they want to or not.

Actually, you can stop anywhere you want. You just can't disembark in that port -by that I mean permanently leave the ship. You can get off and tour-just as long as you get back on.

In fact, people going to Hawaii from LA get into trouble if they miss the ship in Hawaii. See, under this law, they can't stay there legally and will be fined $300....

Thanks for the plain and simple explanation. What a load of nonsense if you ask me. Of course living here in Florida if you travel any direction other than North you end up in some foreign country whether it's a Carribean Island or Mexico or Cuba or wherever. So I bet most people along with myself never thought about it.

I guess being that the only country near Alaska (other than Russia) is Canada the cruise ships are forced to go to Canada whether they want to or not.

Well, as logical as that seems, you'd be wrong. See, under that law, the Caribbean and Central America are not considered "distant foreign ports". Only Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. Don't ask me why, but that's the way it is.

I did a quick read on this "Jones Act" and I am still confused...

If you start in Seattle you eventually return to Seattle.

So why is it that if you start in Anchorage (Whittier) you eventually end up in somewhere other than Anchorage? Can't they go down to Vancouver to be comliant with the law then return?

I don't understand? is it the distance problem? Is Vancouver too far from Anchorage that for the 7-day time span it's just not realistic to do that long a journey and return to Anchorage?

I have never been to Alaska but I know that the Florida based cruises that go to Mexico (quite a long haul) do eventually return back to Florida.

Whitter is way too small to be the home port for a cruise ship and, yes, the distance between Whittier and Vancouver is too far to do a seven day turnaround unless you skip all the ports in SE Alaska.

Jones Act is really straightforward in it's idea. American freight companies did not want foreign ones who hire cheaper labor to be able to contract corporations here for shipping within the US. So they got Gov to make it difficult by commanding they must ship to 'distant' non-US port in order that the cost to compete here be prohibitive. That was well before the cruise ship trade was a factor. And guess what. They want that law even more now, because of the even greater disparity of labor costs. LOL. Jones ain't goin nowhere!

Doug

Except this isn't the Jones Act. It's the Passenger Vessel Services Act, or PVSA. The Jones Act covers cargo, the PVSA covers self-loading cargo.

The acts have also been kept on the books in part to protect the US shipbuilding industry. US "bottoms" - ships built and flagged in the US, are exempt from the Jones Act and PVSA, so the thinking is that keeping them will protect US jobs. Is it working? You decide.

But this is why, for example, you can ride the Alaska ferry from Bellingham, WA to Alaska one way, without stopping in Canada. The ferries are US-built.

For the OP, even though Anchorage is about as far from Miami as Ireland, it's not that hard a flight, and well worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased my tickets a week ago from Austin, TX to Anchorage, AK. I have a 50 minute layover in San Francisco and I will arrive in Anchorage in the afternoon of 8/30. I then fly out of Seattle to Austin on 9/10. My ticket cost me $301.00. There are good deals out there.

To get from Anchorage to the ship I would use cruise transfers( bus or train).

I would check on alternative prices before I picked and paid for cruise transfers. In general, almost anything supplied by the cruise company will be signficantly more expensive than almost any other alternative.

DON

I just purchased my tickets a week ago from Austin, TX to Anchorage, AK. I have a 50 minute layover in San Francisco and I will arrive in Anchorage in the afternoon of 8/30. I then fly out of Seattle to Austin on 9/10. My ticket cost me $301.00. There are good deals out there.

Do some checking to find out if you have to change terminals in San Francisco for if you do you have to do the TSA again.

I'm in the Austin area too. Just getting started looking at Alaska! Hoping to go in 2014. Just curious what airline you're flying? Which cruise-line? Any input appreciated!

I'm in the Austin area too. Just getting started looking at Alaska! Hoping to go in 2014. Just curious what airline you're flying? Which cruise-line? Any input appreciated!

United Airlines on the way there and Alaska Airlines on the way back. I would suggest checking Jetblue and always Alaska Airlines.

This was a last minute decision. Originally, my sister and I were going to do the whole Un-Cruise thingy however, she had to cancel. I was going to wait until 2014 however, it was my dream and even though it's not the cruise I wanted (too expensive going solo) I'm going to make the very best of it.

I'm on the Norwegian Sun. It's an interior room however, it's okay since I'm paying twice the amount for going solo $998 instead of $479. I also received a $75 OBC and coupon book. The good thing is even though I'm on a medium ship and not a small one. I'm still going to do everything I wanted to do only cheaper.

I'm will be taking another cruise to Alaska in 2014 too. I'm waiting for the 2014 prices to be posted. Norwegian has theirs posted already.

Good luck!

United Airlines on the way there and Alaska Airlines on the way back. I would suggest checking Jetblue and always Alaska Airlines.

This was a last minute decision. Originally, my sister and I were going to do the whole Un-Cruise thingy however, she had to cancel. I was going to wait until 2014 however, it was my dream and even though it's not the cruise I wanted (too expensive going solo) I'm going to make the very best of it.

I'm on the Norwegian Sun. It's an interior room however, it's okay since I'm paying twice the amount for going solo $998 instead of $479. I also received a $75 OBC and coupon book. The good thing is even though I'm on a medium ship and not a small one. I'm still going to do everything I wanted to do only cheaper.

I'm will be taking another cruise to Alaska in 2014 too. I'm waiting for the 2014 prices to be posted. Norwegian has theirs posted already.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! Am just getting started looking into Alaska for 2014. Seems like it will take alot more planning than driving to Galveston like we usually do! lol

Thanks for the reply! Am just getting started looking into Alaska for 2014. Seems like it will take alot more planning than driving to Galveston like we usually do! lol

It does take planning however, that's part of the fun.

Since the OP is from Orlando, as am I, I will answer with what we are doing...

We are cruising in Sept 2013 on Island Princess.

We have our flight out on United which leaves at 1155-HOU-1907 arrival in ANC. We will spend the night in ANC and then do our land portion to Denali. On our return we will again stay in ANC for the night before boarding the train to Whittier the next day. We self booked Alaska RR. There is a 0945 departure-1205 arrival in Whittier. I was told the RR will switch the luggage directly to the ship and we will just walk off the train to the ship.

Returning to MCO from YVR we have elected to take the Princess shuttle to SEA because the return flights are better from there. We didn't want to have to wait until evening to leave from YVR and we can catch an earlier flight from SEA to MCO therby saving $$ as well.

We are on a princess cruise northbound from Vancouver to anchorage. After our cruise, we are doing our own 5 day land tour to Denali. Flying United MCO to YVR the day before our cruise departs Vancouver. Arranged our own transfer to Anchorage airport via "Alaska Cruise and Tours Transfer". Then getting a rental car in anchorage for our land portion. Returning to MCO on United from ANC with a change in Phoenix.

Archived