Carnival Triumph Thoughts

Jbird81

Pat on the back for the crew of the Triumph. Pat on the back for the passengers that are making the best of a bad situation. Just like when a plane crashes, you only hear in the media about the bad, not all the pleasant fun cruises people have taken all the time.

Just booked on the Carnival Magic for 7 days during spring break. Yes I will continue to cruise. I may take a sweater, a few more meds and a extra book, just in case. I plan to have a good time.

Please tell me what possible good comes out of a plane crash. There is no bright side to a plane crash for the media to report.

Life isn't always rainbows and butterflies and there is nothing wrong with calling a terrible situation, a terrible situation. And guess what, people who paid good money for a vacation and end up in this situation are allowed to be *issed and should not be criticized for feeling that way.

My thought was that someone from senior level management should have taken the initiative and boarded the boat and stayed there until it docked. If I knew an executive of Carnival was there with me, I would feel better that they understood the problem and were working to get things better for me. I realize the Captain is in charge but lets be real - this is his ship and he must feel some affinity for it which could somewhat cloud his actions. Having a very senior executive on board should help get things done. Somehow I believe that the folks on shore might go above and beyond if they knew their boss was onboard. Sort of a reverse "undercover" boss. Just my thoughts. I know they are trying - just think they should have put someone on board with the passengers.

I just posted this in another thread - Watching Fox News - Shepard Smith just interviewed stranded passenger Ed Buck - again - very upbeat- yes - the plumbing situation is not good - and passengers on lower decks had to move up due to no air conditioning and the plumbing issues. But he said the crew has been fantastic and pick up the red bags very quickly after they have been put out for pick up. Shepard tried to get him to say something negative by saying "And Carnival is going to give you some money, and a full refund, and a free ticket to do it again, are you excited?" And his reply was "I am excited, I think that's very good of them to do that". Then Shepard said "So, you'd cruise again." Ed's reply "Oh, I would absolutely cruise again, and in fact, I'll probably cruise again on Carnival because the crew made such a valiant effort here"! It was great to hear that!!

I just posted this in another thread - Watching Fox News - Shepard Smith just interviewed stranded passenger Ed Buck - again - very upbeat- yes - the plumbing situation is not good - and passengers on lower decks had to move up due to no air conditioning and the plumbing issues. But he said the crew has been fantastic and pick up the red bags very quickly after they have been put out for pick up. Shepard tried to get him to say something negative by saying "And Carnival is going to give you some money, and a full refund, and a free ticket to do it again, are you excited?" And his reply was "I am excited, I think that's very good of them to do that". Then Shepard said "So, you'd cruise again." Ed's reply "Oh, I would absolutely cruise again, and in fact, I'll probably cruise again on Carnival because the crew made such a valiant effort here"!

No doubt this is a horrible situation for our cruise mates on the Triumph. It is unclear to me what could have been done differently post fire that would have had some strong impact for the passengers. You can put all the CCL execs you want on board and that just won't get the power on or the toilets flushing. Best outcome that no one was seriously injured or worse.

The media do what media do these days. Sensationalize. Doesn't really matter the subject or necessarily if the reporting is fully "accurate"

I have been a CCL patron, for 10 enjoyable cruises, and will continue to be. Will there be a different outcome if the same type incident happens in two weeks on the Breeze? The Oasis? The Epic? I hope so but reality says probably not.

So we all will keep sailing. Incident free. Sunshine and warm winds. Enjoying what we probably enjoy more than a lot of other activities in our lives.

The main problem is the Carnival ship design. Carnival ships for the most part have a single 'power system'. New international regulations require that ships be designed with dual systems so that if one power goes out, the second can take over. Royal has been doing this in their ship designs for several years. The Allure had an engine room fire that was quickly suppressed, unlike the Carnival problem off Mexico where the automatic system failed and the crew put it out through their actions. The Allure continued on its way with hardly a notice in the problem. I spoke to an RCI captain about ship design about two years ago. He stated that RCI believes in rundundant systems. I asked him about Carnival....he just smiled and said nothing.

I saw the video on CNN as well, it was pretty nasty. There was a lady interviewed who was positive, but she also said she was going throw out her snickers as soon as she got off.

Why would anyone throw out a perfectly good snicker ? :)

Say no more.... with one addition...

Amazing-people criticize Carnival because they now learn that Triumph had major mechanical problems in the weeks prior to this sailing yet getting the boat to sea trumped safety.

Care to share your insight on how this incident is related to the previous problems, and how you are aware that a concious decision was made to forgo safety. I am sure this is exactly the sort of PR CCL was hoping for.

It's really pointless trying to talk to a cheerleader about this. They see this as a free camping trip and that the passengers should be grateful for any pennies that Carnival throws at them.

They shouted down the lady reporting about engine problems only to disappear after the fire. Then the said everything that was reported in the press was all a bunch of lies may up by Carnival haters, and they too will disappear now that the photo's and video are coming out.

There will always be people that think that it wont happen to them...until it does.

I would not call myself a cheerleader...though I have always enjoyed my cruises whether they be CCL or others, and always felt I received a good value from Carnival. But, I also am not privy, as you are not, to the circumstances that caused the fire, nor am I on the ship so I do not know first hand what it is like there. I will withhold my judgement until more information is in once the ship actually docks. Though not a Cheerleader I am going to call out those that for whatever reason seem to be taking joy at the suffering of others for an oppertunity to dump on CCL, whether you had bad experience with them, love another line so much, or you just have a thing against large corporations.... I am sure there will be plenty of tales of misery for you to delight in, in the coming days.

Watching CNN and they interviewed a couple on the ship. When asked about their thoughts on Carnival's compensation the couple said they think compensation should be given to the crew. They said the crew has been doing their best; taking care of the elderly; removing waste bags right away; still cleaning rooms. Whether you are for or against Carnival I think it is good to hear that the Triumph crew is outstanding. Situations like these brings out the best and worst in people. Good to hear that there is more good than bad.

Watching CNN and they interviewed a couple on the ship. When asked about their thoughts on Carnival's compensation the couple said they think compensation should be given to the crew. They said the crew has been doing their best; taking care of the elderly; removing waste bags right away; still cleaning rooms. Whether you are for or against Carnival I think it is good to hear that the Triumph crew is outstanding. Situations like these brings out the best and worst in people. Good to hear that there is more good than bad.

I totally agree, and feel very sorry for everyone on that ship!

I would not call myself a cheerleader...though I have always enjoyed my cruises whether they be CCL or others, and always felt I received a good value from Carnival. But, I also am not privy, as you are not, to the circumstances that caused the fire, nor am I on the ship so I do not know first hand what it is like there. I will withhold my judgement until more information is in once the ship actually docks. Though not a Cheerleader I am going to call out those that for whatever reason seem to be taking joy at the suffering of others for an oppertunity to dump on CCL, whether you had bad experience with them, love another line so much, or you just have a thing against large corporations.... I am sure there will be plenty of tales of misery for you to delight in, in the coming days.

First I have ONLY taken CCL cruises, have a current FCC that's outstanding and that I had every intention to use and never had a problem with our sailings. I don't have any type of beef with large corporations (this is laughable). Hopefully that quiets you baseless argument that I'm a Carnival hater.

As for delighting in the misery of others that's just hysterical.

I'm just tired of this endless diatribe that saint Carnival is perfect and can do no wrong. This is a horrible disaster that people have repeatedly bushed off as a mere "inconvenience" and something on par with being trapped in their house in a snow storm.

• 4 weeks later...
Sensationalizing? Give an example? The sewage running down the walls? There is now video of the sewage running down the walls. Having to poop in plastic bags? There are now pictures of the red bio-hazard plastic bags people had to poop in.

And they are getting "EXTREMELY generous compensation"? Really? Just a refund and a cruise equal to what they paid and $500. You try going thru what they went thru. See if you would think that's enough.

And instead of getting off the ship and going right to a Mobile hotel to shower they are being stuffed on a bus for a 2-hour ride to New Orleans or 7-hour ride to Galveston. Mobile has plenty of hotels and by golly they have themselves a real live airport too! Who gets to get off the ship and shower and relax in a Mobile hotel? The crew. Perfect. The final slap in the face to the passengers.

How about YOU try going through it?

I went through it and feel that's it's adequate compensation.

I have to laugh at the folks who feel the need to be outraged for those of us that were on Triumph.

Here, have some photos:

First I have ONLY taken CCL cruises, have a current FCC that's outstanding and that I had every intention to use and never had a problem with our sailings. I don't have any type of beef with large corporations (this is laughable). Hopefully that quiets you baseless argument that I'm a Carnival hater.

I'm just tired of this endless diatribe that saint Carnival is perfect and can do no wrong. This is a horrible disaster that people have repeatedly bushed off as a mere "inconvenience" and something on par with being trapped in their house in a snow storm.

Disaster???? while I agree that this was not the vacation anyone planned on.......... I would not call it a disaster. The Concordia was a disaster! The Titanic was a disaster! Katrina was a disaster!

It was an unfortunate, unavoidable event but Carnival did all they could to ensure the safety of passengers and crew! They even gave a full refund, a free cruise, and extra money to all paying passengers! That was more than generous on their part!

I have to laugh at the folks who feel the need to be outraged for those of us that were on Triumph.

Here, have some photos:

Thanks for posting those. Great pics. The outraged people really do need to be laughed at. It's funny that they were accusing the "cheerleaders" of saying Carnival can do no wrong, yet I never saw that. All I saw were outraged people who seemed to really want to bash Carnival in the worst way, and people who were saying "let's wait until we get more evidence or hear from people who were on the ship". Once people who were on the ship started posting, those in the former group seemed to disappear pretty quickly.

No, it was an inconvenience that some folks are trying to portray as a horrible disaster.

It was almost on a par with what I dealt with after Hurricane Ike, except that no one cooked my meals or provided comedy shows and movies after Ike. I didn't have power for almost two weeks after Ike. 4 days was a cakewalk.

No, it was an inconvenience that some folks are trying to portray as a horrible disaster.

It was almost on a par with what I dealt with after Hurricane Ike, except that no one cooked my meals or provided comedy shows and movies after Ike. I didn't have power for almost two weeks after Ike. 4 days was a cakewalk.

If there was a standing ovation smiley I'd insert it here.

I was lucky. Only four days without power after Ike. Even had cable back on by the fifth day.

Here, have some photos:

Thanks for this post!

Oh, and the pic of the charging station...I am about 98% sure that the woman in the Redskins shirt is a friend of mine from work!!!!! Not sure if you got to know any of those people but if so, was her name Peggy?

She said she didn't see any pee rivers etc....she did, however, bring me a red bag as a souvenir...lmao!

Thanks for this post!

Oh' date=' and the pic of the charging station...I am about 98% sure that the woman in the Redskins shirt is a friend of mine from work!!!!! Not sure if you got to know any of those people but if so, was her name Peggy?

She said she didn't see any pee rivers etc....she did, however, bring me a red bag as a souvenir...lmao![/quote']

Show her the photos. I was balancing between covering the story and being part of the story, so I didn't get names.

Those red bags are great. I'm going to use one to bring brownies to the office. :D

Archived