Can we spend one night off ship?

Colorado Kat

Carnival cruise stops in Messina one day, and then Naples the next. My grandparents were from a small town (Guardia Piemontese) halfway between the two ports.

Can people ever skip one night onboard, and meet the ship again the next day? Of course, we would notify whoever we need to.

I went there once, years ago. It would be fun to see it again, and show my daughter.

Advice?

It's something done quite often at various ports around the world.

Yes, you certainly need to ask on board but that shouldn't be a problem.

Your boading pass/seacard will be swiped when you get off the ship in Messina - it's worth reminding security staff there that you'll not be back, in case the message didn't get through to them.

Also a courtesy to tell your cabin steward, and if you're on traditional dining tell your waiter & any table-mates that you'll not be at dinner.

The main risk is if for any reason the ship doesn't port at Naples - you'll need to play catch-up at the next port. But Naples is very very rarely a missed port.

JB :)

Carnival cruise stops in Messina one day, and then Naples the next. My grandparents were from a small town (Guardia Piemontese) halfway between the two ports.

Can people ever skip one night onboard, and meet the ship again the next day? Of course, we would notify whoever we need to.

I went there once, years ago. It would be fun to see it again, and show my daughter.

Advice?

We've also jumped ship a couple times. First time was on Celebrity which we were informed that they like to be aware of plans ahead of time. TA informed them. Night before we received a phone call and were asked to bring key cards to reception. They programmed them so security would be alerted when we left. Key cards also caused a special alert on return.

Second time was on NCL - but on a Holyland cruise on which many people (probably 1/4 of the ship) did overnights in Israeli and Egyptian ports so I don't think the procedures they had in place would apply to your cruise.

How are you getting from Point A - Messina to Point B - the town you want to show your kids and Point C - Naples? Love new ideas and haven't explored the south in Italy by land yet.

Archived